Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

what to do with 1909 arg ?

ericsz
United States of America

what to do with 1909 arg ?

#1 Post by ericsz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:12 pm

I have a 1909 arg that was a pass down from my grandfather to dad and I have it , Ive had the gun for close to 20 years. The gun is sporterized cut down stock and re-chambered to 30-06 and it is very picky on what ammo it likes . I dont shot it and at on time ordered a correct stock and all parts it was missing . when stock arrived it was split beyond my ability to repair and couldn't find a correct barrel. I lost interest in the project and moved on to other projects. I want use the receiver for a k98 build as a kid I loved this gun and was what got me into c&r and shooting and would like to shot this gun again . I know im looking a a good chunk of money to do this but not sure what else to do with it I no longer want to restore it back to its original configuration . Im also not sure what cal to make it since its going to be a mutt I was thanking .308 8mm or 6.5 creedmoor with .308 and 8mm I can make iron sites work but unsure if sights could be made to work with 6.5 , 8mm is my fist choice . So ya im just looking for some thoughts .

Ernest T
United States of America

Re: what to do with 1909 arg ?

#2 Post by Ernest T » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Sounds like anything you would do at this point would be a waste of money on what is left. I'd say if anything go with your first plan and put it back in an original stock, then sell it and move on.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:44 pm

I would have dies made so you can shoot the rifle with the CORRECT bullet diameter which is .312.
LEE Products can make you a set of dies from a fired casing.
It was common in the 50's and 60's to just rechamber a rifle to take a .30-06 cartridge even though the bore was larger than .308.
The Argy rifles and the 7.7 Jap were common conversions.
If your rifles chamber has a tight throat, it would be very easy for a 'Smith to open it to take the bullet size of your bore.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

bobvz
United States of America

#4 Post by bobvz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:08 pm

I think 8mm is also a great choice. Barrels are very available and economically priced. Components as well. I've got a mutt K98k with a Czech surplus barrel on it. I handload Rem 185 grain .323 bullets and it shoots sub MOA if I do my part.

ericsz
United States of America

#5 Post by ericsz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:48 am

I cant sell It , it just means to much to me . I have 2 Yugo 8mm barrels that look great but they were made for the m48's /24's not sure if one of them will work. I also have a Norwegian 7.62 barrel thats new and still in grease . If nothing else I would just take the barrel off and re blue the receiver and put it in a glass case and with a plaque and make it a display , like people do with baseballs but a receiver .

Return to “General Firearms Topics”