Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Old Double Barreled Shotgun

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Old Double Barreled Shotgun

#1 Post by nrobertb » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:17 pm

This is a neat old 12 gauge double that I learned to hunt pheasants with back in the 1950's. Back then it seemed heavy but today it seems light. I got it from my father, who got it from my uncle, who got it from his father in law. It is marked Bridgeport Arms Co. which is a trade brand. It was made by some company who marketed it through hardware stores and other outlets.

I tried to track down the age and actual manufacturer but there is a lot of confusion and apparently more than one company used the Bridgeport name.

It has extractors and a slide safety that engages automatic ally when you close it. The inletting of the wood is rather fragile which Is why I have the leather wrap. It is a fun gun to shoot and draws a lot of comment when I take it to the trap range.
Attachments
DSC00063.JPG
DSC00062.JPG

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

Re: Old Double Barreled Shotgun

#2 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:14 am

They are interesting, aren't they. I have one given to me by a former employer who found it rusting away in a lake house he bought. Any information about it would be appreciated. I have no idea how old it is.
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG
The barrel/s on it are one digit off from the gun so I suspect it had another set at one time. Nickeled with engraving. I think at one time it must have been a very nice gun. The rib is marked New Haven if that helps.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#3 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Found a patent date of 1884 just forward of the triggerguard.

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#4 Post by Reverend Mauser » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 pm

You might try this thread to get you going. Tradename shotguns These were responsible for all kinds of those old shotguns.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”