Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WASP WAIST BULLETS

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

WASP WAIST BULLETS

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:15 pm

https://www.bing.com/search?q=wasp%20wa ... F5F969C416
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Does anyone know of any 'WASP WAIST BULLETS' on the market now - they are great. I have maybe 700 left from years ago. If one has an old Herter's catalog as one dated August 1972, which is the only one that I still have, look on pages 175 -177. I have read a little bit about the design, by a German. By the way It seems that 'EVERY' WW2 vet that I have talked to that was in the European front has said, "Boy, those Germans were smart". Things like this are relative, right....if they were smart what does that make the American soldier? The US won the second war mainly because of the American effort in making war implements back here in the states. We were making them faster than our Armies were using them up. A coworker told me one time that he worked in a Douglas Aircraft factory in the 40's in Long Beach, California and at the time they were making 10 C-47's and 3 B-17's per day and one can imagine of all of the other factories in the US. One point I remember, he said that the Army Aircorps crews were climbing into the planes as they were pulled off the assembly lines with no Douglas test pilots checking them out first and if they checked out okay, they were flown to their new assignment, nonstop. That has to say a lot about quality.
Wasp Waist Bullets - One can read about the accuracy of the surplus Italian Carcano 7.35 short rifles, with some saying good things and others saying bad things. In 1956 I bought two of these, as brand new and not issued for $14. 95 each. The used one were $12.95 and a wooden box of 1728, 7.35 mm cartridges dated 1939 was $42. And I was amazed of how accurate they were and I realized the reason for this, the quality and repeatability of the ammunition . And to 'THIS DAY' there are some that will just reload for this rifle with some Hornady .300 bullets and use a powder loading given by some one. And that is it...It won't shoot worth a crap and they are set aside. It is not the rifle at fault, it is the 'reloader' plain and simple. Mr. Carcano realized the advantage of the Wasp Waist Bullet in these 1939, 7.35 bullets that he had made for this rifle and they work as good as can be expected and better, I know, as I said I must have shot up half of my box of 1728. Now the primers have by now deteriorated to the point of being useless, so they can be used only for components.
Today's bullet makers over-look this Wasp Waist Bullet....but I would think that possibly one can make a die to form this Wasp Waist feature into a normal bullet. If I were younger I would do it, I had thought of even just making a cast bullet mold for this type of bullet - some one should do it. I would think that typically all bullets in all calibers should be of this type....Now this is just my opinion, okay. It took American aircraft designers until the F-102 to figure this out and gain an extra 200 miles per hour. I have read that some German found this out in the 40's for aircraft. The Lockheed's extra speed in their F-104 is attributed to this design. It is called the 'Area rule'.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”