Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

CLEANING RODS

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

Re: CLEANING RODS

#16 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 pm
Being a Lee Enfield guy I don't have the cleaning rod problem, but its hard to push a patch through the bore with a "pull Through"! :?
I never thought about it before. What did they use, the chain type pull through like the G3?

luigi
United States of America

#17 Post by luigi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:51 pm

I have always used the brass rods but recently bought a carbon fiber rod. I like the carbon fiber but it has a threaded aluminum connector on the end for the jags. I covered the connector with tape to reduce scratching.

I try to clean from the breech end to the muzzle ( but doesn't work very well on the garands, Mini-14 or the M14 !) I think you can clean from either end but it will take more solvent and patches if you go muzzle to breech.

Now if you listen to Larry Potter from Midway USA, he will tell you how to do it. :?

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#18 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:42 am

8thIDGrunt wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:43 pm
Tommy Atkins wrote:
Being a Lee Enfield guy I don't have the cleaning rod problem, but its hard to push a patch through the bore with a "pull Through"! :?
I never thought about it before. What did they use, the chain type pull through like the G3?
Nope it was a rope. same idea though, but it got shoved in the butt with an oil bottle as a cleaning kit. They also had a jag tip that was un-threaded. It was a 2-piece unit the front could rotate with the rifling engaged but the rear could stay stationary on the rod tip.It was used with a "T-Handle" (a rod with a cross piece) that fit inside the hollow bottom. It was done this way so you could push out an obstruction, but the top just fell off at the muzzle so you didn't accidentally pull the now fouled patch back through the bore. Only armorers were allowed to use the T-Handle. Patches came on a roll of "4 by 2" which you tore off to make individuals at the red thread mark.
DSCF6510.JPG

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#19 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:46 am

luigi wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:51 pm
I have always used the brass rods but recently bought a carbon fiber rod. I like the carbon fiber but it has a threaded aluminum connector on the end for the jags. I covered the connector with tape to reduce scratching.

I try to clean from the breech end to the muzzle ( but doesn't work very well on the garands, Mini-14 or the M14 !) I think you can clean from either end but it will take more solvent and patches if you go muzzle to breech.

Now if you listen to Larry Potter from Midway USA, he will tell you how to do it. :?
I just switched from brass to carbon fiber myself. I like the carbon fiber but it does need to be thicker than the old brass or alloy ones so you need a separate one for .22 & .30 bores. No false reads from brass now though, my L-E's are all copper mines disguised as rifles!

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#20 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:24 am

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:42 am
8thIDGrunt wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:43 pm
Tommy Atkins wrote:
Nope it was a rope. same idea though, but it got shoved in the butt with an oil bottle as a cleaning kit. They also had a jag tip that was un-threaded. It was a 2-piece unit the front could rotate with the rifling engaged but the rear could stay stationary on the rod tip.It was used with a "T-Handle" (a rod with a cross piece) that fit inside the hollow bottom. It was done this way so you could push out an obstruction, but the top just fell off at the muzzle so you didn't accidentally pull the now fouled patch back through the bore. Only armorers were allowed to use the T-Handle. Patches came on a roll of "4 by 2" which you tore off to make individuals at the red thread mark.
DSCF6510.JPG
Interesting. I am not understanding how the jag was connected to the rope, though. Or really what the t-handle was used for. Guess I am going to do some research on the maintenance of my Enfields. Thanks.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#21 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 pm

The jag wasn't used with the rope. The rope was used to pull the 2X4s from breech to muzzle. The T-Bar was used to push the jag the same way from breech to muzzle. For example the rope breaks so you use the T-Bar to push it out. I have a .PDF on the one correct way to wrap one so it fits in the butt trap if you get one. Technically the brass bottles are only for the No1's but the later black Bakelite plastic & clear ones are frankly rubbish, they all crack & leak so spring the extra for a brass one if you plan on filling it with oil.
:?
Linky: http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r= ... e-cleaning

Return to “General Firearms Topics”