Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

CLEANING RODS

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

CLEANING RODS

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Re: US ARMY USING BB GUNS
Report this post Quote
#9 Post by nrobertb » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:22 am

I went through Trainfire at Ft. Leonard Wood in the fall of 1960. There were no bb guns at that time. We shot beat up badly worn M-1 rifles. The muzzle on the rifle of a guy in my platoon was so beaten down by cleaning rods that it split when he fired it.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What the heck is going on here....
I was watching a YOUTUBE and the guy was carrying on that he was a 'PROFESSIONAL' gunsmith and that he was showing how to clean a gun bore the PROPER way. He stressed that one should use only a good strong 'spring steel' ----cleaning rod.

The most cleaning rods for sale in gunshops are either brass, aluminum or fiber glass. Now all of my life I have been using wooden dowel rods, nothing else but. I figure that these are less abrasive on the riflings than those for sale. But...I don't I think that I have ever seen anyone else use a wooden dowel rod - it has always been brass, aluminum or fiber glass.
Now am I am screwed up or is the rest of the world screwed up? I thought that when a guy went into the Army that he was given a rifle...that he was to cherish it, and baby it and keep it clean as best that he could, that his life was going to depend on it. Now fiber glass is the most expensive and I say probable the worse of the three, let alone steel.
Why would a person use something hard like metal just because he sees it for sale in a gun shop. I would imagine that I am asking the right group of people - why do you?
Now I understand that the YOUTUBEs are so full of plain Dumb-Dope, but to me this defies common sense...okay, am I wrong? The only thing that I can think of is that a strong steel rod 'maybe' less likely to touch the bore, but I don't think so.

Smokey
United States of America

Re: CLEANING RODS

#2 Post by Smokey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:05 am

This can be a contentious topic. Basically I avoid having the rod touch the inside of the bore as much as possible, especially at the muzzle. I use a tapered brass ferrule for this with rifles that have to be cleaned from the muzzle like the Garand. I also use a one-piece stainless steel rod. It gets wiped clean each time before use (and is stored in the tube it was purchased in to keep it clean). Generally I clean from the breech wherever possible.
- Coated rods, if kept absolutely clean will work, but any grit will imbed in the coating and cause scratches.
- Aluminum oxidizes to form an extremely hard surface layer. Sapphire is aluminum oxide and one of the hardest gems, it will definitely cause damage; and a jointed rod will ruin a bore with the joints scraping the interior.
- Wood and fiberglass can imbed grit and cause damage if not stored and handled carefully.
I also Let the solvent do the work instead of scrubbing with brushes etc. making multiple passes.
A general rule of thumb, improper cleaning will damage a barrel and destroy accuracy far faster than actual firing.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi Smokey - Yes indeed, can be contentious... I was just wondering what others were using. I just counted mine and got 69 plus 4 or 5 of the screw together type that I have bought years ago and never use just because of like you say. And there are probable some more around. I would just wipe the wooden dowels with a rag with some thinner before use. I agree with you and 'I' just don't like the part about letting the metal rods touch the bore. After lapping and polishing them with TLC I just can't bring myself to do it.
And just after rethinking this, I have a bunch of Medical type plastic tubing in a few sizes, plastic not rubber, and I will make some out of stiff steel rods and cover them with the plastic tubing. I just bought a new camera on their Black Friday sale. I could use a new camera anyway, but someone was saying that I may be having trouble posting pictures because I may be using old computers and I will take a picture of the ones that I have made. Besides, I saved 153 dollars on the camera... :) I pick it up Monday.
Your disclaimer above about Arguing makes me chuckle ....Like I say, "Beware of arguing with an idiot because others may not be able to tell the difference".

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#4 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:42 pm

I used to make my own cleaning rods when I was cleaning up my old Turks. Century had aftermarket tips and I had all kinds and sizes of dies. Just needed to buy the appropriate sized steel rods. Many of the old rifles depend on the cleaning rod to keep the band on so it was a need part of the gun in my mind.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#5 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:50 pm

I just got my first carbon fiber one. So far I'm impressed.

Smokey
United States of America

#6 Post by Smokey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:12 am

I've made replacements for Moisin Nagant rifles. They weren't authentic, but they worked. The hardware store has steel rods in various sizes, 36 inches long. I'd tap 8x32 threads at one end to screw into the retainer in the stock. The other end would be cut to length, then tapped for a #10 thread and a nut crazy-glued on. The nut would then be filed round to the appropriate diameter.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#7 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:26 pm

I still have one Mauser minus a cleaning rod I think. Smokey has given me an idea. I think I will make one out of all brass just for kicks. Would like to knurl the nut part but my brother is a machinist and can probably tell me how to do that. Will check to see if my local hardware store carries the brass rods.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#8 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:29 pm

IMG_0323.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG
Found my old stock of rods and tips and decided to make one for my Brazilian Military Police Mauser out of steel. Took me about an hour to cut it, thread it and blue it. I think it makes the old rifle look better. Although on this rifle the rod does not hold the band on. Still looks better. :)

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: CLEANING RODS -HOW I DO IT

#9 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:27 pm

102_0134.JPG
102_0133.JPG
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here is how I do it for hand guns - I have others just like these for long guns. As I say just wooden dowel rods.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#10 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 pm

8thIDGrunt wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:29 pm
IMG_0323.JPGIMG_0324.JPGIMG_0327.JPGFound my old stock of rods and tips and decided to make one for my Brazilian Military Police Mauser out of steel. Took me about an hour to cut it, thread it and blue it. I think it makes the old rifle look better. Although on this rifle the rod does not hold the band on. Still looks better. :)
=======================================
Hi - I have one Mauser and I wonder if anyone has ever polished the bolt of one and then reblued it. It is just a thought that I may get around to this some day. I have even forgot whether it cocks on opening or closing To me it looked like original bluing and not shot much, but carried a lot.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#11 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:59 am

You should probably post more information about the rifle. Some were "in the white", not blued. Neat collection of home made cleaning rods you have. I use fiberglass or carbon fiber one piece rods when cleaning my rifles. The original cleaning rods are part of the rifle and I like it to look the way it was issued but they had to have been hard on the bores.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#12 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi 8th ID - I don't know about information but here are some pictures of some - just not mine. You can notice that some were blued. I understand that the receivers are genuine Mauser with most of the other stuff by others. I just bought it one day for $100 because I didn't have one.

And - Sure, you betcha, having an original Cleaning Rod with the rifle is nice. The way I see it is that these steel ones were needed in the field and Carbon Fiber and such was not available then. Of course wimpy wooden ones would not work at all in the trenches and in the mud, etc. (in the military), but I haven't been in the military since 56. When I went in we had left-over B-17's in my squadron , just for operational support. The B-29's were common for doing the bombing.
It's just me, as I said, after I lap and polish a bore I see no reason to use a steel cleaning rod on it.
And put it this way, if I went to a gunsmith and saw him using a steel cleaning rod on some customer's rifle, that would be reason enough for 'ME' to not take anything to him - as I say, this is just the way I feel. I am sure not implying that everyone should think the same as I, not at all.
You were a Grunt, huh...when I was in Vietnam we were not allowed to (not suppose to) carry a firearm...a non-combatant civilian contract employee. I still have my Non-combatant ID card here on my little bulletin board.
It was a good thing for me to have you Marine Grunts around with your M-14's. One cannot forget the sound of a bullet whizzing by your head within a couple of inches. I never saw any of that M-16 problem. The story was that there were no contract employees in any VC prison camp...they would just nail your ID card to your forehead, and you should carry that card with you only if you wished.
Now I see that my link doesn't show up, I'll go back and get it again. I have not figured out how to do things right on this forum yet.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#13 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi 8th ID again - This will show you some photos of the FR8. I remember as late 1965 good looking Mausers were still $29.95....I just didn't happened to buy any then.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ma ... &FORM=IGRE
NRA LIFE MEMBER

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#14 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:44 pm

The FR8 was a large ring Mauser (1943 receiver) and I believe the receiver and bolt were parkerized from the look of them. I had one for a time but someone liked it more than I did. Great little rifles.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#15 Post by Tommy Atkins » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 pm

Being a Lee Enfield guy I don't have the cleaning rod problem, but its hard to push a patch through the bore with a "pull Through"! :?

Return to “General Firearms Topics”