Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

US ARMY USING BB GUNS

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

US ARMY USING BB GUNS

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Just curious - Has anyone been familiar with this BB gun training with the US army ? I haven't been in the army, but it sure works.
Quick Kill
In the years that followed, the U.S. Army became interested in instinct shooting for Vietnam-bound soldiers. They had a regular training program given at Fort Benning, Georgia, not far from Lucky’s home in Columbus. They called their program “Quick Kill,” and tens of thousands of inductees went through it. There was also a program in Vietnam for those who hadn’t been to Benning.

The Army buys BB guns
Daisy became interested, again, when grass roots inquiries tipped the scales, and they put together a new package. This time, Lucky’s name was left off, and the program was called “Quick Skill.” It lasted from the late 1960s through the end of the 20th century, coming and going as interest dictated. The Army sold many of their BB guns in the 1990s, so now there are hundreds and perhaps even thousands of sightless BB guns with the markings of Army training centers painted on their stocks or “U.S. Prop.” stamped into the wood. Collectors eagerly snap them up. There have also been many special guns, such as one made with the Ducks Unlimited logo on a decal on the stock.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

Re: US ARMY USING BB GUNS

#2 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:15 pm

We did this in place of annual qualification in Germany during the budget crunch years (mid 70s IIRC). Same name, close up with emphasis on quickly engaging targets at close range.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#3 Post by Ghoulardi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:38 pm

OLDGUNNER wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Quick Kill
In the years that followed, the U.S. Army became interested in instinct shooting for Vietnam-bound soldiers. They had a regular training program given at Fort Benning, Georgia, not far from Lucky’s home in Columbus. They called their program “Quick Kill,” and tens of thousands of inductees went through it. There was also a program in Vietnam for those who hadn’t been to Benning.
they were still using the "point and shoot"" method after viet-nam, and it just wasn't at Benning were it was taught, but was basic tng army wide. so you could have been at Ft. Riley, Knox, Bliss etc.... and you went through it.

in 1975 when I was at basic in Ft. Knox we did it, it wasn't anything special you slowly walked down a path on the range at port arms, in line abreast with the rest of your platoon. a pop up target appeared a few feet in front of you you engage it by swinging your rifle around pointing and shoot, walk some more another one would appear until you reach the end of the range. we only did it once just to do it. now if you went to AIT as a 11 series, you got more time doing that. and in your infantry unit. but that was the one and only time I did it.

my point and shoot method involved a 20mm Vulcan set at 30 round burst :D. as long your reticle was close to the target, with a little slewing you were going it hit multiple times :D

the other thing that was hold over at basic, was low crawling to a M60 position with dummy hand grenades, while the M60 was shooting over your head with live rounds. the only way to get a NO-GO at that station is if you stood up
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:41 pm

when I was a kid running around the firing ranges at Ft.Meade,MD in the early 60's I saw the soldiers doing what they called " Train Fire" if my memory serves me, where they did use BB guns at targets thrown in the air as well as pop-up.
Years later while in the Navy a few of us bought the same type BB guns and duped the training the Army used. It was fun and really did improve hand / eye coordination.
I may still have the Army manual for course of fire in my library. I'll try to find it.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

les1234
United States of America

#5 Post by les1234 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 pm

I did basic at Ft Leonard Wood in '76, no BB guns were used during my time. Once I got to Germany, we never actually qualified again. all we did was "familiarization", just firing a few magazines without even going to check the targets. I was in an admin unit, as a mechanic. Hopefully, the 11b's and other "combat oriented" troops got more than we did.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#6 Post by Ghoulardi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 pm

les1234 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 pm
Once I got to Germany, we never actually qualified again. all we did was "familiarization", just firing a few magazines without even going to check the targets. I was in an admin unit, as a mechanic. Hopefully, the 11b's and other "combat oriented" troops got more than we did.
my first unit was in Germany as well, O'Brien Bks, schwabach, FRG. I can't recall about weapons qualification. but I do know for a fact that the field exercises we were suppose to go on in 76/77 where canceled, due to lack of fuel. guess carter didn't think it wise to buy fuel for the military, it became a MAPEX (map exercise)

and besides no money for fuel, we couldn't get repair parts. so in order to keep the units FMC (fully mission capable) the most deadline track/weapon system in the unit and ID'd and when another track or weapon system went down, the mechanics went to that dead lined vehicle and cannibalized it for parts
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

heck
United States of America

#7 Post by heck » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 pm

I went through basic at Fort Bliss in 1968. No BB guns were used. However in Vietnam, I acquired a single shot Marksman Repeater BB pistol that looks like the 1911 .45 auto. I would take it on guard duty and use it to shoot at rats. Don't know why or how it got to Vietnam but I took it home with me when I left Vietnam in 1970. Still have it.

les1234
United States of America

#8 Post by les1234 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:46 pm

[quote=Ghoulardi post_id=8344 time=1511322050 user_id=
my first unit was in Germany as well, O'Brien Bks, schwabach, FRG. I can't recall about weapons qualification. but I do know for a fact that the field exercises we were suppose to go on in 76/77 where canceled, due to lack of fuel. guess carter didn't think it wise to buy fuel for the military, it became a MAPEX (map exercise)

and besides no money for fuel, we couldn't get repair parts. so in order to keep the units FMC (fully mission capable) the most deadline track/weapon system in the unit and ID'd and when another track or weapon system went down, the mechanics went to that dead lined vehicle and cannibalized it for parts
[/quote]

I don,t recall any shortage of fuel or most parts, I arrived late in '76. I was there over a year, when they issued us the chemical suits, but at the time we still only had cartridges for Cs gas for the gas masks! I think it was another year before we got the real filters for them. Another time, we had to "yellow line" all the M880/890 Dodge trucks for something like 6 months because the tires got recalled and no replacements were available. Yellow meant only on post use, and when the post was only a couple square miles, they weren't too useful for that time.

nrobertb
United States of America

#9 Post by nrobertb » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:22 am

I went through Trainfire at Ft. Leonard Wood in the fall of 1960. There were no bb guns at that time. We shot beat up badly worn M-1 rifles. The muzzle on the rifle of a guy in my platoon was so beaten down by cleaning rods that it split when he fired it.
The rear sight on mine was so worn that when I fired, it would drop all the way down from the battle zero setting. I’d crank it back up again and the training sgt. would hit me on the helmet with the cleaning rod he carried and tell me to leave it alone.
On the qualification course my operating rod jumped out of its track, causing me to miss most of that round of targets.
Fun days.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”