Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Whats in your range bag?

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Whats in your range bag?

#1 Post by vonalt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Every one has a first aid kit as part of their range bag, correct? None of us today at the range did and we had a shooter catch a ricochet off of the pistol range which got him while he was shooting on the rifle range 30 yds away. He wasn't hurt seriously, but it did bleed a lot. The ricochet caught him on the cheek. We had to use a napkin one of the other guys had in his car from a McD's lunch to stop the bleeding. I know I'll be getting one to carry with me from now on.

Still trying to figure out how he got hit. Both of us shooting on the pistol range were shooting at paper targets. I was using cast loads and the other shooter had FMJ rounds. Backstop berm is dirt so it should have stopped the bullet. There were no steel targets on the range. Only thing I can think is one of the pistol rounds may have hit a clay target shard that litters the backstop and it ricocheted off of it.

Smokey
United States of America

Re: Whats in your range bag?

#2 Post by Smokey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Oh well, We were barely married three weeks when my wife shot me in the head! A lead 38 special from her revolver hit something downrange and bounced straight back. Didn't leave a mark (it was my head remember).
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#3 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:57 pm

if the berm has rocks mixed in with the dirt that will cause a ricochet, the other likely possibility is for that berm is so saturated with bullets,, and wasn't never screened to remove them, a round can ricochet off that.

just because it dirt, doesn't mean squat. if it's mixed up with rocks and has tons and tons of expending bullets in it, all it takes is for a round to hit that, and there you are. there was in all likelihood all kinds of ricochet going on, you never knew about shoot there. but all it takes is that one unlucky bullet to come back, and there you are, bleeding, seriously injured or "who's going to get dad's golf clubs?".

your friend better count his lucky stars he's still on this side of the sod. a few inches up and it's "when' is the funeral?" a eyeball isn't going to slow down or stop that piece of metal from going into his brain

a few years back the ODNR had their backstops (clean sand no rocks) shifted on a public range I shoot at, GRAND RIVER, and you wouldn't believe how much expended bullets came from those backstops. they must have had at least 10 huge wooden boxes, the kind that monster size machinery comes in, on a trailer filled to the brim, and they were only were half finish screening.

I've seen some really hillbilly trailer park private ranges around here, that was nothing but bulldozed berm, and jackhole handle guns while people were down range putting up targets. I didn't even get out the car, I told my friends who were members, "see ya" and turned around and left. I believe it was AA range

now, if you really want to see a real dangerous and f**Ked up range, go to a private range called TUSCO, south of new Philadelphia, ohio. they had, maybe still do, a monthly "plate shoot". I was like WTF! when I saw the rifle steel shoot. they had caterpillar steel shoes standing on edge like maybe 15 feet from the shooter going back some 30 feet.

if that wasn't bad enough, the pistol steel shoot took the cake. these swinging steel targets was like 10 feet from the shooter :shock:. I'm not exaggerating, you could spit and hit the plate.

the backstop, crap, there was probably more metal in it then dirt, it was nothing but a dirt pile that's been there for decades, trees going out of it, ever since the range opened.

I couldn't get in my car fast enough to get out of there
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#4 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:16 am

Not in the bag, but always in the van. I never go to the range without the van so its a universal kit.
Personally I use the pre-packed ones from Wally-World & add a few things they don't include.

"This new outdoor 123 piece first aid kit from total resources is ideal for a family or a group for all your outdoor needs. This kit is packed in an earth friendly biodegradable eco bag. Organized compartments keeps contents neat and easily accessible. Includes:- 12 alcohol prep pads- 12 antiseptic towelettes- 10 cotton tip applicators- 2 finger splints- 1 first aid instruction guide- 2 examination gloves- 2 safety pins- 1 tweezers- 3 insect repellent ointment- 2 lip ointment- 3 antibiotic ointment packets- 3 burn packets- 3 sunscreen lotions- 3 sunscreen lotions- 3 sting relief prep pads- 4 aspirin tablets- 4 non-aspirin tablets- 2 electrolyte tablets- 1 instant cold pack (5 inch x 6 inch)- 5 adhesive bandages (1 inch x 3 inch- 15 adhesive bandages (3/8 inch x 1-1/2 inch)- 15 adhesive bandages (3/4 inch x 3 inch)- 5 butterfly closures- 1 paper tape roll (.5 inch x 2.5yard)- 4 sterile gauze pads (4 inch x 4 inch)- 1 poison ivy cleaner- 2 sterile gauze pads (4 inch x 4 inch)- 1 sterile trauma pad (5 inch x 9 inch)- 1 thermal blanket- 1-12 hour bright stick- 2 moleskin (2 inch x 2 inch) Organized compartments keeps contents neat and easily accessible"

I usually add a sling, a couple of field dressings & some 3 or 4" gauze pads.

Having one is good, but getting a little training in its best use is important too, as is rotating & replacing supplies.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wise-Foods-F ... e/20450231

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#5 Post by vonalt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:26 am

First thing on my agenda this morning is head to Wally's place and pick up one. May add some other gear to it.

Something you never think will happen. You read about it on line and then it happens when you are there. Makes you more concerned about range safety more then ever. Last night I kept going over how the ricochet could have gotten to the other shooter on the rifle range. He was sitting at a perfect right angle to the firing line at the pistol range and was sitting below the level of the dirt berm that divides the two ranges. That ricochet must have had some wicked curvature to its flight path. Another inch and it would have connected with his eye. Just reinforces the need for both hearing and vision protection when at the range.

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#6 Post by Reverend Mauser » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Hmmm, I should probably add that.
Didn't leave a mark (it was my head remember).
I'm with you on this, Smokey! Hit me on the head with a hammer, and you may need a new hammer.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#7 Post by Ghoulardi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm

vonalt wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:26 am
That ricochet must have had some wicked curvature to its flight path.
ricochets are unpredictable and once it's in flight all bets are off on where it will go or how it got there

ffuries
United States of America

#8 Post by ffuries » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:27 pm

I still to this day maintain first aid kits in all my vehicles. When we were stationed in Europe it was mandatory for all cars to have one, and I've never outgrown that mentality. Might never use it, but if you don't have one you'll end up needing one.

Word of advice inspect your FAKs, gloves breakdown over time, tape and sticky bandages also breakdown over time, ointments have a service life. So either replace the kit, or swap out the components as needed.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

72 usmc
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:08 pm

Archaeologists and foresters (as well as construction workers) always carry a first aid kit in the truck and car. Teachers on field trips with students also carry kits, plus student medicines . A general kit is also on someones backpack when in the woods or field. Too many barb wire incidents, branches in the eye, sprained or broken bones from falls, bee/hornet stings, and nails through cheep shoes (Never happened with red wing logger boots) or cut hands or arms needing stitches from chain saws, trowels, or brush hooks. Best to have a decent first aid kit(the primary kit in the truck/car, 25 ft rope, fire extinguished, buck knife or K bar, hatchet, water, duct tape, spare tools -(screwdrivers, wire cutter, adjustable wrenches, allen set --stuff that fits in an ammo can), food bars, and finally a field pistol (Tok or 45 auto) one on your person-generally the section head. A bad habit picked up in the USMC : be prepared -stuff happens. Most crew members have food, water, k bar, insect spray and small kit with what they need in the back pack or waist belt. Some pack heat, but its not made known due to national park, forest, university, reservation policy. Kind of a don't tell, or use till needed :naughty: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:.
In wi in winter, you best have some sand, a shovel, a set of chains, blanket, flash light extra over size overhauls or trousers, rags, gloves,boots, flares, hat, matches in the car unless you rely on a cell phone and police. Some carry a chain saw if a downed tree blocks the road. But if you get caught in a blizzard, God helps those that helps themselves. Nothing like a good old wi blizzard and high winds and deep drifts :dance:

I think most of the people carry nothing- not even a first aid kit of flash light. A nice long mag light makes a legal club.

Interesting our range is a gravel quarry pit with the wall about 125 yards back from the bench-- no berm at the 100 yard line. The lead pigs/pickers are always screening the berms at the 25,50 and 77 for free lead. Most ranges have a first aid kit on the wall or near the line. Rules are also posted . I think it's an insurance thing and it varies with outside or inside ranges. Most ranges use chamber flags and have a range officer. It is always best to have at least 2 people at the range-just in case. This is really important at small ranges or country ranges where no one is around. Ever see the nuts that place a loaded rifle horizontally on the table so its pointing at the people down the line. :naughty:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

steamer
United States of America

#10 Post by steamer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks for this discussion - I'm ordering a couple of kits right now. Might make great Christmas presents for my kids too.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#11 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:12 pm

"Word of advice inspect your FAKs, gloves breakdown over time, tape and sticky bandages also breakdown over time, ointments have a service life. So either replace the kit, or swap out the components as needed."
Very true.
I routinely replace everything every 2 years.

timbo1955
Russia

#12 Post by timbo1955 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 am

My 2 range bags I adjust for hand guns and long guns , but I never seem to bring the right thing when somebody ask"s for help , but both always have ear plugs , glasses , clean rag and a small oil container for sure , in case , that way at lease thats . First aid kits are all the cars , but your right there dated , some 10 years.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#13 Post by Ghoulardi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:02 pm

timbo1955 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 am
First aid kits are all the cars , but your right there dated , some 10 years.
huh, I got that beat, still have my first aid kit from Germany when I owned a car, back in 82 (so 35 years). it was mandatory by german law that all vehicles carry one along with emergency road signs

ffuries
United States of America

#14 Post by ffuries » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:47 pm

Ghoulardi wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:02 pm
timbo1955 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 am
First aid kits are all the cars , but your right there dated , some 10 years.
huh, I got that beat, still have my first aid kit from Germany when I owned a car, back in 82 (so 35 years). it was mandatory by german law that all vehicles carry one along with emergency road signs
I put my triangles out for an accident I witnessed when we first got back from Germany, first two idiots that came up on them ran them over and destroyed them. Still have FAKs and warning triangles in my cars. Left Germany for the last time in 1992 after a 4 year assignment.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Patman1951
United States of America

#15 Post by Patman1951 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:25 pm

I have one in the truck but if something happens at the range; the time wasted in getting to it may be critical. One will now be in the range bag before the next trip.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”