Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Vacuum Sealing Firearms

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Vacuum Sealing Firearms

#1 Post by vonalt » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:33 am

With recent events in Houston Texas and a possible hurricane hitting the east coast in the near future, has got me to wondering if vacuum sealing my firearms is a good idea. I know being from Ohio little chance of a hurricane coming this far inland but we do have some flooding ever so often. I have everything I need to do it here. Has anyone else thought about doing it and if so how did you go about doing it? Do you slather it in oil or cosmoline or leave it dry? I am mainly concerned about rust after vacuum sealing.

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Vacuum Sealing Firearms

#2 Post by ffuries » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:33 pm

When I was in the USAF we would vacuum seal the aircrew 38 revolvers in those sliver vacuum bags. We just wiped them down with an oily rag after exercises and reseal them. Never had an issue with rust on them, we had a supply label with the SN, nomenclature, etc on it. Just reused the bags until they got too small then start over with a new bag.

This was basically for long term storage, after we inventoried them back to the armory they went until next time.

Later when we went to clear bags for storage of survival equipmemt, we would write the date sealed and any other pertinent information on a label and insert it in the bag before sealing. Nice thing with clear bags is you can do a visual inspection for issues without opening the bag. The silver ones required us to take a sampling just to be sure.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:06 pm

I tried that in the 70's while deployed for several years. The problem was not rust or corrosion,but rather the bags were sucked down onto the surface of the wood. The wrinkles in the bags were thicker than the non-wrinkled parts and left permanent marks in the wood. The plastic bags reacted with the oil in the woods and stained the woods also. I used a product called "Gun Sleeve" and if it is still made, I do not recommend it.
If the rifles were wrapped in a paper or non-reacting material to the guns oil the vacuum sealing would last for many years.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ffuries
United States of America

#4 Post by ffuries » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:06 pm
I tried that in the 70's while deployed for several years. The problem was not rust or corrosion,but rather the bags were sucked down onto the surface of the wood. The wrinkles in the bags were thicker than the non-wrinkled parts and left permanent marks in the wood. The plastic bags reacted with the oil in the woods and stained the woods also. I used a product called "Gun Sleeve" and if it is still made, I do not recommend it.
If the rifles were wrapped in a paper or non-reacting material to the guns oil the vacuum sealing would last for many years.
I agree wrap them in something just to be safe, butcher paper, soft cloth or something.

We would even vacuum seal everything that went into our mobility bags. Made for a nice small package, but boy were there some long lasting wrinkles in my DCU/BDU and flight suits.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#5 Post by vonalt » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:51 pm

I was thinking about starting out with pistols at first and see how that went. Then on to rifles

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#6 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:00 pm

One of the big No-nos with vacuum sealing is pointy bits on the inside. Even bones can puncture under vacuum. I'd think this would be a Yuuuuge problem with all the pointy bits sticking out on a firearm. Can you just seal without vacuum & drop a couple of silica gels in there?

ffuries
United States of America

#7 Post by ffuries » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:31 pm

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:00 pm
One of the big No-nos with vacuum sealing is pointy bits on the inside. Even bones can puncture under vacuum. I'd think this would be a Yuuuuge problem with all the pointy bits sticking out on a firearm. Can you just seal without vacuum & drop a couple of silica gels in there?
Most industrial vacuum sealers have the capability to adjust the vacuum on them. Also one could pack a handgun in a box then vacuum seal it. Box will deform some, but not puncture the bag. Industrial bags are also thicker, versus commercial bags.

This is what we used and would work great for handguns.

http://www.previninc.com/shop/Koch-Ultr ... chine.html
Last edited by ffuries on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#8 Post by vonalt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:35 pm

going to do a makarov tonight just to see what happens. I have some packing materials I can form a pouch to put the pistol in before I put it in a vacuum sealed bag.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#9 Post by Tommy Atkins » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:05 am

:shock: 4 Grand!
I'll use ziploc baggies & oil/grease with a couple of silica gels & an oxygen absorber!

ffuries
United States of America

#10 Post by ffuries » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:05 am
:shock: 4 Grand!
I'll use ziploc baggies & oil/grease with a couple of silica gels & an oxygen absorber!
But when Uncle Sam pays for it, it gets used a lot....Now that we are all retired they don't get used for extracurricular things anymore. The new Cadre just uses it for sealing survival equipment, the reason it was bought for in the first place. Whereas we vacuum sealed fish and whatever else we could come up with. It was one of those things you wished you could have taken home with you when you retired. We had 4 of them in the shop, and it seems like they were always being used.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

professrh
United States of America

#11 Post by professrh » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Interesting idea for ammo as well.