Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Thinking of a 10/22.

shoggoth80
United States of America

Thinking of a 10/22.

#1 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Title says it. My local store of course sells them. They do layaway. A .22 is lacking in my collection. It's a very utilitarian caliber, and there's a large aftermarket for the model. I'm thinking a base model with wood stock (classic look). Lots of mag options. Though seriously the only upgrade I could easily fall for is a bull barrel cut for irons, and maybe a dot sight. But I'm pretty hooked on the idea of a 10/22 for general plinking and range fun, and for small game. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

professrh
United States of America

Re: Thinking of a 10/22.

#2 Post by professrh » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:04 pm

shoggoth80 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:47 pm
Title says it. My local store of course sells them. They do layaway. A .22 is lacking in my collection. It's a very utilitarian caliber, and there's a large aftermarket for the model. I'm thinking a base model with wood stock (classic look). Lots of mag options. Though seriously the only upgrade I could easily fall for is a bull barrel cut for irons, and maybe a dot sight. But I'm pretty hooked on the idea of a 10/22 for general plinking and range fun, and for small game. Is there any reason I shouldn't?
There's always a reason not to do something.

That said, I like my 10/22. I, too, went for the classic look. It's actually a sweet-looking rifle, with an interesting figure in the stock grain.

Easy mods available on youtube and (perhaps more credibly) rimfire central. I've modded the bolt catch so that it'll release the bolt if you pull back on the charging handle (or whatever you call it). I bought a longer mag-release lever to make dropping the mag that much easier. And I stoned the trigger a bit (following the directions on rimfire central--after looking around at various how-to-fix-your-10/22-after-you-screw-up-the-trigger posts. Oh, and I tricked it out with TechSights. They worked well, and lasted until a frustrating twilight squirrel hunt. Now I have one of Nikon's rimfire scopes, and can still see to sight in on targets (furry or otherwise) at dusk.

I should also say that in my experience, the 10/22 is very fussy about its food. Good-for-my-rifle ammo shoots brilliantly, even for me. Less good ammo (most of what's out there) prints considerably more loosely.

For my money, the .22 long is a necessary tool in the toolbox, and the 10/22 is a very suitable choice.

My $0.02. YMMV

--Prof

shoggoth80
United States of America

#3 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:12 pm

From my experience .22 semi auto rifles/pistols are picky beasts. I had a Mossy Plinkster that really wanted mini mags. Good rifle otherwise. I've seen pistols balk at standard velocity stuff too.

Aside from money, and ammo considerations, are there glaring faults to the gun? I haven't really read negative comments about it. Shop also has used Marlins on the shelf for cheap. I grew up with lots of trigger time on a model 60, and enjoy little single shot ones too.

shoggoth80
United States of America

#4 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Yup... Layaway, with about 45% down. Pick it up in two weeks. Couldn't say no.

retread12345678
United States of America

#5 Post by retread12345678 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:14 pm

NO EXPERT I have a used one for over 20 years Very nice rifle and quite dependable. I use the Remington plated 40 grain ammo ans no real complaints The Savage and Marlin guns are not to be ignored The Bull barrel feature is a want for me too

dmg4
United States of America

#6 Post by dmg4 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 am

Is there any reason I shouldn't?
If you shoot from the left shoulder (I do), it will toss hot brass down your collar, or bounce them off your forehead just about every time.

If I didn't have a .22, I'd pick up a MAS-45 before I bought the Ruger, but that's me. I dumped my 10-22 and bought a Browning .22 auto with bottom ejection and the lines of an anorexic greyhound. It weights about 4.5 lbs, and taken down it fits it most backpacks.

Attachments
original.img.jpg

Markeb2800
United States of America

#7 Post by Markeb2800 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:26 am

10/22 is a great gun. I've shot hundreds of coons with one, until I got too old to chase hounds up and down the bluff.

heck
United States of America

#8 Post by heck » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:38 pm

I love my 10/22s. Can't stop with just one. I have a take-down tactical 10/22 and then a nice wood stocked one with the Alligator Head carved stock. Love them both but would like at least one more. Perhaps the wood stocked take-down model with the Ruger emblem carved in the buttstock. I have owned many more of the 10/22's over the years and never had a problem with any of them.

Zeliard
United States of America

#9 Post by Zeliard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 pm

People seem to like the Savage .22s at Wally World. Never owned one myself, however.

People will argue all day long over which is better, Marlin or Ruger. I say go with the one you like best and don't worry about it.

Marlin Model 60 is a great semi-auto. Only problem is that it tends to get dirty a bit quick. The 70P breaks down and is fun to shoot, but is a bit pricey.

Don't discount the Mossbergs. Have an older bolt action one (forget the model) that hits spot on.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

shoggoth80
United States of America

#10 Post by shoggoth80 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:34 am

I grew up shooting my dad's Marlin model 60. No beef, great gun. Had a Mossberg 702 Plinkster for a while. Liked it. Picky gun, but hi velocity ammo was its preferred food. Sold it in a tight spot. It was accurate.

The 10/22 is home now. Really digging it. Need some BX25 mags for it... Because. Lol. Rabbits are fast, and follow up shot speed. Nah. Just want them, though I do intend to use the rifle for small game, and plinking.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#11 Post by Tommy Atkins » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 pm

I've had mine for ever from new. At first it was a bit finicky about ammo, but a bit of use loosened it right up. It definitely does not like truncated conical point bullets though. Everything else is fine.
Best of all its preferred ammo for accuracy & function is Remington Thunderbolts! Dont rule out any brand when doing performance evals for your new rifle! Even the e-cheapo can sometimes be a winner. :dance:

shoggoth80
United States of America

#12 Post by shoggoth80 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:45 pm

I've got a mix of Federal blue box, CCI, Federal white 325 pack, and Aguila. I'm sure to get more. I'm an opportunist with .22lr. Lol.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#13 Post by Tommy Atkins » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:20 pm

You're lucky, living in a free state as you do.
Behind Enemy Lines In "The Peoples Demokratik Republik of Marylandistan" this is as close as I can get to a banana clip magazine.
IMG_2147.JPG
Bananaclip magazine4.JPG

Keiths
United States of America

#14 Post by Keiths » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:35 pm

I have an older one that has some trigger issues, but once that was fixed, it's been a great fun, with almost any ammo.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”