Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

CUSTOM BULLET MOLD

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

CUSTOM BULLET MOLD

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:36 pm

I know one should have a big enough lathe to make a bullet mold with lube grooves but has anyone here just made one without lube grooves and used powder coating or paper patching so to eliminate the need for expensive bullets? It would seem like something to consider. It use to be popular with paper patching, why not now?

HectorFuego
United States of America

Re: CUSTOM BULLET MOLD

#2 Post by HectorFuego » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 am

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing myself. Hope you get some informative responses.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#3 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:35 pm

I hope to have a lathe in my garage this spring. I'll need a mill to cut the mold blank and look into using some O-1 drill rod for a cutter. I've seen the YouTube videos and want to do it myself. I'm a machinist by trade. I might use pre-heat treated 4140 for a cutter instead since I'm going through aluminum. I definitely have it on my project list.

I'm yet to figure out how they get a good ball nose on the end of the bullet. The cutter they made didn't look very plunge-able. I shall find out. Remember, I'll need a mill to go with the lathe to make a proper mold. This could take longer since they don't fall off trees.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, looks like I successfully made 7.65mm French long pistol cases from 32S&W long brass. I think all this is possible.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Oh Mark - You won't need a mill...just a drill press...unless you don't want to use the pre-made LEE molds. LEE even sells the regular solid two-piece mold blanks for 18.95 - they use to. And I have found that it is easier, for me, to use a LEE mold that is just a little smaller than I will make.

And as for the 'Bullet Nose', Harbor freight sell all kinds of cheap metal burrs and cutting tools that will cut aluminum, not steel. I have some that are even shaped like a bullet....and I just stick them in a drill press and with a stone, make into any shape that I want. Of course they all won't have the cutting teeth that I may like for final shaping so I just use a course valve grinding compound on the reshaped cutter. And then don't forget a good 'Cross Vice' on your drill press. I bought a cheap 6 inch one, and no, it doesn't do a good job. I have two or three Dremel type grinders and with an assortment of burrs and diamond thingies, I grind and make a lot of things chucked up in a drill press. With the 'cross vice' one can make molds with the lube grooves - which I HAVEN'T DONE. And don't forget you can put a Dremel grinder in a 'Cross-Vice' and do all kinds of things.
Just sayin----

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:25 pm

DSC01075-001.JPG
DSC01075-001.JPG (11.91 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Hi Mark---
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Mark -- These particular ones won't work with aluminum because they will load-up, just used with something hard like steel. These are just cheap things from China - not for production. But plungeable, into a partially drilled hole. I have a bunch made for larger calibers that are for aluminum and brass. Again cheap ones from China. Just one made in the states could cost 40 dollars or more. I am not into that. I am just making things for myself, not into any business.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:04 pm

DSC_0006-001.JPG
Hi Mark - You worked with other machinists...Most machinists have a set of Swiss Files...How many did you notice that bothered to put handles on them for better control? My wife trimmed a tree and I said,"Hey, I can use those branches". :D

Just how I did it.

Ned Christiansen
United States of America

#7 Post by Ned Christiansen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:48 am

OLDGUNNER, I've been enjoying your posts.
I recently retasked an existing mold for my friend Ray Ordorica, for one of his double rifles. He gave me mold dimensions that would allow of paper patching, which he has done quite a bit of over the years. He wrote about it in The American rifleman in 1978:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-PAPER-PAT ... SwOgdYyYqZ

He got these to 1100 FPS with I thing 130 grains of black powder. I don't remember what weight the bullet came out.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#8 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Thank you Ned - I appreciate that....Just how did you 'retask' the mold? Just curious. Of course it is no problem to increase the size of the bullet but to decrease its size would take an extra step. I would just use a surface grinder to reduce the flats of the mold and then burnish out the new hole and then scribe in new air vents - is this how you done it?
You may have noticed a common problem with a mold after burnishing, is that the diameter of the bullet across the gate part of the bullet is always larger, by a thousands or so, than the other diameter measurement. I think that I know why but I can't figure out a cure for it. Do you by any chance know of one....for the mold? The bullet resizers do it of course. Yes, paper patching is everything good.

Ned Christiansen
United States of America

#9 Post by Ned Christiansen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 am

Well the "donor" mold was for a round ball that was a little smaller than the bullet Ray wanted, so I had it easy there. And the shape of the new bullet was very simple, ball nosed with a slightly larger diameter at the shank so it looked like the 150-grain .45 ACP wadcutter, but of about .75 caliber. So I bored the mold in the Bridgeport.

We didn't get overly concerned with shrink since whatever diameter the bullet came out, long as it was close, it could be comped for with paper. I just reviewed the info on the gun and mold when they were offered at the James Julia Auction House and the bullet comes out about .755 / 900 grains. I think Ray said with 130 grains of black powder he was getting about 1100 FPS.

Ned Christiansen
United States of America

#10 Post by Ned Christiansen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am

Found a pic:

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#11 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 pm

I mighty have to try a Lee blank mold now. Of course, if I want to tinker, that's a no go. The mill I want weighs around 400 pounds, so who knows.

I was reading where O-1 drill rod is hardened, but machinable. I might try plunging some 4140 pre-heat treated and see what happens. A 30 RC hardness should do a job on aluminum. Now to find some scrap 4140.

I have no files with such fine handles. Files aren't real cheap, so I only have so many. Well, I don't have a lot of cheap files. I like the USA stuff went I buy files. I think other countries skimp on the heat treating and metal quality.

The picture above looks real encouraging.

Best Regards,

Mark

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#12 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:23 pm

Oh Mark - Those Swiss files are all US or Germany... I don't have any Chinese or Indian files. Yes, files have to be good ones.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#13 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:52 pm

DSC01079-001.JPG
DSC01079-001.JPG (12.43 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Ned Christiansen wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am
Found a pic:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ned - See how close these are to yours. I had run some between two bastard files just to maybe grab the Lapping compound better. And they had the ridge on just like yours, before I smashed it down. I can take pictures like yours but this program says 'file too large to accept', 7 meg. I haven't learned how to degrade it properly yet. So this is with an old camera.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#14 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 am

SWIHARTMARK wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 pm
I mighty have to try a Lee blank mold now. Of course, if I want to tinker, that's a no go. The mill I want weighs around 400 pounds, so who knows.

Mark
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
013.JPG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Mark - I can tell right away that you are not into yard sales :P A neighbor guy passed away, poor guy, and his widow just wanted to get rid of stuff fast. She had this computer marked at 5 dollars and I guess everyone just thought that it was inop and just passed it by. I happened to go by the second day of her sale and she said that everything was half price so there it sat a day and a half with no takers. So....for 2.50 I took it and a bunch of stuff....AND...she had bundled a bunch of files together, 12 or 15 and marked it 1 dollar. So, for 50 cents I would now have over a hundred files. All good files.
A while back a local guy had to move quick, he had a big 6 foot long new type digital lathe. As he said he paid 6,000 for it and had 3,000 in accessories. He would deliver it for 3,000. and oh I only wished...I sure would have like to have had it but I did not have room in my garage for it. I have a three car garage and no room, with a 20 foot shop at the end, and......no room for one car. The computer works fine - a 750 dollar computer. A Tera byte hard drive, that's a bunch of pictures. Winter is here so I have to wait until spring. Oh I forgot to turn the photo up right -Sorry.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#15 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:25 pm

I've been working six days a week since I don't know when this year, so I haven't had time for garage sales. I would go if I had time, but I try to clean out the garage when I can. I did pick up a $400 snow blower for $75 a few months back. Started on the first pull. I gave it to my Dad since loads of snow is expected this year I read. Ah, if only I can convince my wife to throw more stuff out to make room for tools.

Best Regards,

Mark

Return to “General Firearms Topics”