Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Introductions are due

elricfate
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Introductions are due

#1 Post by elricfate » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Good afternoon everyone

For those who don't know me, let me give you a brief rundown and reason behind my work in bringing this forum back.

A couple things about myself -- I worked in IT doing technical support for over a decade, I've run an IRC server and later a network, I've run several websites, I've been a moderator on a lot of forums and I'm inclined to enjoy shooting. Right this moment I work in data analytics, I'm an active moderator on a handful of forums, I'm an active channel op on a handful of IRC servers/channels and bringing back SRF was a work of love for me.

I started at SRF in 2006, I joined because a friend on an IRC channel said "Hey, you like to shoot and whatnot, go join this forum" -- I did it because, ultimately, my first rifle was a Mosin M38 from AIM Surplus and I wanted to show it off. Since then I met a lot of the staff and a lot of the members at a couple Schutzenfests, did a lot of exploring the forums, etc. I was approached to be a mod some years ago and I agreed to help out, what I was told is that they wanted someone familiar with computers to run a Computer Problems subforum, that's where some of you might recognize me, but I was a global moderator on the forums so I went here and there cleaning up messes in quiet.

Fast forward to March of this year, I found out that the domain for SRF was expiring. No one else was taking the reins so I reached out to the owner of the domain and asked if we could have it back. He quietly transferred it to me and I registered it for a number of years forward. Then May rolled around and we lost contact with Jonesboy, still not sure where is or what has happened... but I digress. The forum went into a nosedive because the host shut off access of the site. I tried every way I could to take it over so I could just pay on it and get the site back up but they would not budge and would not allow me access.

Since I owned the domain, I went ahead and made a new SRF. That's what you see here. We don't know if we'll ever truly get access to the old site's database or not, but we have this one now and I'm doing everything in my power to make sure we keep it. Even if I'm not active in day to day after this initial setup period, I am leaving you all in good hands and will always be available if something were to happen that requires my attention.

Return to “Announcements”