Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Colt New Service

lamontagne0527
Canada

Colt New Service

#1 Post by lamontagne0527 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 pm

I have a Colt New Service chambered in .455 eley that was made in 1916. I believe mine is a commercial purchase that was bought by a British officer or soldier who was looking for an alternative to the Webley. She has some significant bluing wear and id put it at about 60% bluing but she still locks up beautifully and shoots amazing. The old colts were definitely well build solid shooting revolvers.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Colt New Service

#2 Post by RWS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:02 am

Just out of curiosity Lamontagne, what about the revolver makes you think British private purchase rather than Canadian private purchase? I've always heard that one of the reasons that many Canadian soldiers purchased S&W and Colt .455's was because the British had first shot at Webleys and that it was often difficult for Canadian soldiers to obtain one.

lamontagne0527
Canada

Re: Colt New Service

#3 Post by lamontagne0527 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 am

RWS wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:02 am
Just out of curiosity Lamontagne, what about the revolver makes you think British private purchase rather than Canadian private purchase? I've always heard that one of the reasons that many Canadian soldiers purchased S&W and Colt .455's was because the British had first shot at Webleys and that it was often difficult for Canadian soldiers to obtain one.
Mine seems to just have the standard arrow proof marks, doesnt have the nitro proofs on the barrel under the caliber designation. If it was Canadian it would likely have the C broad arrow marking somewhere which sadly it doesn't. I havent done extensive research on mine so i could be wrong.

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth Pistols”