Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

.455 Webley reloads

lamontagne0527
Canada

.455 Webley reloads

#1 Post by lamontagne0527 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Is Hodgdon Trail Boss a good powder to use inside of .455 webley reloads or is the casing just too short to get an effective charge? It would be under a 255 grain .454 bullet.

The revolver would be a Colt New Service manufactured for the British in 1916 to supplement the shortage of Webleys. I assume the colts and smith and wessons were a stronger frame since they were swing out not break action.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: .455 Webley reloads

#2 Post by RWS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:02 am

Trail Boss will work fine if you are looking to duplicate the Mk II load in the 600-650 fps range. It's my powder of choice for reloading Mk II cases for my Webleys. Probably somewhere around 3 grains of Trail Boss ought to do it. The Colt cylinder is long enough that you can seat the bullets out a bit further to get more space in the case, if needed.

Both the S&W N-frame and the Colt New Service are considerably stronger than a break-top Webley. The New Service was chambered in .357 Magnum running pressures in excess of 35,000 psi, so theoretically you have plenty of buffer there. In my experience, the only problem with the New Service is the lack of replacement parts should something break so I would suggest going easy on the old girl.

-Bob

S.B.
United States of America

#3 Post by S.B. » Sat May 05, 2018 11:11 am

I'd have to check but, IIRC I chose a light load of Bullseye in mine(probably what I had on hand)?
Steve
Last edited by S.B. on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lamontagne0527
Canada

#4 Post by lamontagne0527 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:00 pm

S.B. wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:11 am
I'd have to check but, IIRC I chose a light load of Bullseye in mine(probably what I had on hand)?
Steve
currently im using hodgdon HP-38, very light load since the casings are not very long but it seems to do the trick, next time i end up loading up some loads for my colt new service i will load up some trailboss or another type of powder i get my hands on. In Canada bullseye is hard to find since its in such high demand so supplies dont last long.

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth Pistols”