Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Because I can....

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Because I can....

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:12 am

In the 70's and 80's once I became a Senior Enlisted on Destroyers I would stand Officer of the Deck while in port. My Petty Officer of the Watch was armed with a loaded M1911 .45 Auto to protect the ship from the bad guys.
Since I was also in charge of nuclear weapon security I asked my CO's if I too couldd carry a pistol hidden on my body to help protect the Quarter Deck in the advent of an unauthorized intruder. all said yes.
We would have officers from the Commodores Office try to sneak on board demanding to see some officer on our ship a flip out an I.D Card like some TV detective which we were supposed to see and verify. A common trick was to replace the photo of the officer with a photo of a Bullfrog or some such other nonsense.
If you let them by, you got a good chewing out, and usually ended up standing back-to-back watches as punishment. ( 8 hours)
On a steel deck in the winter it was not fun.
So,I made sure I was not going to allow anyone to "sneak" by and make me suffer the consequences.
I carried a Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum 4" barreled revolver loaded with 158 grain Super-Vel bullets. Being the ships Armorer as long as I could prove that the pistol was issued to some U.S forces, I could carry it. Which I did.
We never had an "intruder" get past us because my POOTW was always keen to check anyone's I.D card,even our own crew members.
I trained with the Ruger at the range and got proficient with the pistol out to 100 yards. The quality of the Secirity-Six allowed you to place shots on target with ease. I have never found a bullet shape or weight the pistol will not shoot well.
Jump to 2019 and a practice for the match this month. Pistol knock-down targets out to 70 yards. All shapes and sizes.
The pistol did what a Ruger does, it shot very well. The club members said "show off!". I told them I used to shoot the pistol almost every week end I was off duty for years.
"Hit the man silhouette at 200 yards then!" 158 grain Kieth SWC,pressure lubed and gas checked, sized to .358. H-110 load, magnum primer.
I did. Because I can.
357 Magnum at 200 yards.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

Re: Because I can....

#2 Post by ammolab » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:41 pm

And they all poo-pooed my idea for a 100 yard pistol match?

I have the 38-200 Webley ready to go!!!

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:43 pm

And you have done it by golly!
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

shoggoth80
United States of America

#4 Post by shoggoth80 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:36 pm

Good shooting!!

sowbelle
United States of America

#5 Post by sowbelle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:26 pm

add another pistol to my bucket list
great shooting Rob

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:06 am

I've had a few .357 revolvers and the only one I still own is the Ruger. I have not shot the newer versions so I have no idea how well they shoot. Mine was made in '72.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

shoot4fun
United States of America

#7 Post by shoot4fun » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:33 am

👍
Nicely done!

Return to “US Pistols”