Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How to adjust the trigger pull of the 1895 Nagant revolver

1895 Nagant, TT-30, TT33 and Makarov
Zeliard
United States of America

How to adjust the trigger pull of the 1895 Nagant revolver

#1 Post by Zeliard » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Originally posted by RapidRob.

How to lighten the pull of the 1895 Nagant revolver

A simple tip can be done to the mainspring of the revolver that will reduce the double action trigger pull by several pounds. This tip does not involve any cutting or grinding. In no way will your pistol be damaged or modified from military specifications.

The manner in which the mainspring fits into the pistols grip allows unnecessary free movement of the V-shaped spring arms. By not allowing full swing of one arm, the felt trigger pull can be reduced. When done right, the pistol will function in double and single action in a normal manner.

The first step is to remove the pistols grips. I have included photos on just how to do this.
Once you have the pistols grips removed, roll the pistol so that it is laying on its right side with the barrel pointing to your left.

Notice that at about ½ way down the steel pistol grip frame there is a rounded milled raised portion of the inner frame. We are going to use this “nub” to hold our tension reducer.

As stated above, we want to reduce the tension on the locking pawl, cam and hammer, which in turn will reduce the friction of these parts as they move.

You place a number 10 nut under the spring arm going to the cylinder indexing parts.

By using a good pair of needle nose pliers or a hand vice, you will easily be able to compress this spring arm. Do not pry or pull up on this spring arm. This spring is under tension and can cause harm to you if it pulls free.

Place the nut as shown in the photos. You do not want the nut to shift position.

Try a few “test pulls” of the pistols trigger. If the triggers pull is too light or still too stiff, change to a different size nut. I use a common nut to allow the nuts flats to provide a good flat surface that will not roll out of position.
Where you place the nut will be a factor on how the spring arm flexes and the force needed for it to bend.

Each Nagant pistol is unique to itself when it comes to how the frame was ground/milled when manufactured.
These pistols were made during peace and wartime. The dimensions from one year to another will be different. Take your time and try several sizes of nuts until you find which one works for you.

A simple fix that cost two cents. And that’s my two cents. Enjoy.

Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: How to adjust the trigger pull of the 1895 Nagant revolver

#2 Post by RWS » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 am

Zeliard has been working overtime finding posts from the old board. This was posted by RapidRob and I believe it was a sticky. And so it shall be again.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#3 Post by indy1919a4 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Many thanks for this, I am going to try this... It looks simple enough for even me to do.. I thank you sir..

jbrower
United States of America

#4 Post by jbrower » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Looks like I'm stuck in the house tomorrow due to a big storm. Might as well pull my 1895 Nagant out of the safe and try this out.

Horsefriend
Italy

#5 Post by Horsefriend » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:00 am

It worked beautifully on mine, and I love that there is NO! alteration of the weapon.
Scott

Stuff; Some of it is Italian, some of it shoots.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:52 am

Thank you Zeliard for re posting my article. I hope it helps others.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “Russian Pistols”