Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Anyone here have a 1895 Nagant that they've tried fitting a .32 cylinder to?

1895 Nagant, TT-30, TT33 and Makarov
S.B.
United States of America

Anyone here have a 1895 Nagant that they've tried fitting a .32 cylinder to?

#1 Post by S.B. » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 pm

HELP, please?
Steve

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Anyone here have a 1895 Nagant that they've tried fitting a .32 cylinder to?

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:26 pm

I've done several. What help do you need?
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

S.B.
United States of America

Re: Anyone here have a 1895 Nagant that they've tried fitting a .32 cylinder to?

#3 Post by S.B. » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:08 am

Getting the conversion cylinder to rotate and operate every time?
Steve

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:15 pm

The "kit" sellers never tell you the parts must be hand fitted to your revolver.
The problem lies in that the new Pawl is too thick and sticks out too into the rear of the cylinder causing a drag.
Also,the pistols original rotating arm is now too long. Yes,you will need to buy another arm in order to use the pistol with the original cylinder.
Both parts need to be worked with a file or Dremel tool in order to index the cylinder to the next shot and push the cylinder forward to it's proper distance from the barrels forcing cone.
While not hard at all to do,you must take your time and remove a little metal,then try the parts.
Here is the so-called kit.
DSCF1670 copy.jpg
Here is the new pawl installed. It sticks out into the open frame too much and must be ground down to the proper thickness to move the cylinder forward without bunding.
NAGANT2.JPG
Here is the trimmed pawl. Match all angles as they are important for smooth operation.
nagantpawl1.jpg
nagantpawl1.jpg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 406 times
nagantpawl2.jpg
nagantpawl2.jpg (6.55 KiB) Viewed 406 times
The indexing arm has to be bought. This turned off many buyers as the arm will no longer work properly in most pistols once the original cylinder is put back in.
Why the indexing arm was not included in the kit is beyond me.
Since there are so many slight variations of these pistols by the Russians and other countries who made them,I cannot give you exact dimensions as I have never seen two pistol exactly the same in part sizes.
Hope the info helps. They are fun to shoot in .32 caliber.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

S.B.
United States of America

#5 Post by S.B. » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:36 am

All I recieved was the cylinder. Mine seems to work( with both cylinders) often but, some times I do see the hand drags and won't index properly. yesterday I carefully stoned the indexing star on the back side of the conversion cylinder and seemed to help in my situation? It works much better now. Little by little?
Thanks, Steve

INGarand
United States of America

#6 Post by INGarand » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Can't help in the fitting but I bought my pistol with the 32 cylinder and it works fine just changing the cylinder. I don't have to change anything else.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#7 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Anemic little dogs, mine shoots fine with Fiocchi or Magtech .32 S&W Long, 100grain or 98 grain, lead wadcutter ammo. Around 17-20 bucks a box. More power than the PPU 7.62 Nagant ammo. It also produces a better pattern than the PPU ammo in my pistol. S & B makes a hotter cartridge at 885 fps rather than the 778 fps Fiocchi. Mine hangs on the wall. I will take my Tokarevs all day long. A better shooter.
Fitting a .32 cylinder and then have a modified revolver, lost history, and price decrease.... I sure hope it's one of the import marked ones with the big CAI mark on the side, most do not care for the billboard import mark over the Russian maker's mark. I can see altering one of those dogs. My bring back stays intact.

Post some pictures of your fitting progress and results to help others. It seems the Nagant is hand fitted and no two are the same as far as fit. Some are lucky and the new cylinder fits, works, and shoots fine without alteration. Others require hand fitting, polishing, and or new parts. Doing all that work and effort should be documented so others can see how it is done and the problems encountered during the process :doh:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Russian Pistols”