Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

1895 Nagant, TT-30, TT33 and Makarov
Keiths
United States of America

#1 Post by Keiths » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Is one manufacturer of the 1895 revolvers more in demand than the other? I have two, and I'm trying to decide which to keep.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: 1895

#2 Post by RWS » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:44 am

I assume you are referring to Tula and Ishevsk? In either case an original non-refurbished gun would be more desirable to a collector than a refurb. Assuming both are refurbs then early pre-Soviet Tulas are probably more in demand by collectors, and WW1 or WW2 collectors will want 1914-1918 or 1939-1945 dates, respectively. Otherwise, my opinion is that run-of-the-mill refurbs are all about the same. Other opinions may differ.

I'd keep the one that shot the best and/or had no problems with sticky extraction.

-Bob

72 usmc
United States of America

Re: 1895

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:50 pm

The location of the import mark is actually more important as for value. Also the degree of sanding done to the referb is important. Does it have grind marks all over the metal? A bill board import mark over the pistol's Russian maker's mark and date is real bad news, or is it a bill board at least on the other side? The maker's mark is intact? Some specific markings are rare or rare dates that are hard to find also increase value. Also the clarity of the markings on the left- are they faint, sanded down or partially missing? An import mark on the lower barrel and a clean receiver with crisp Russian markings is best for a referb. Now, an actual WW II bring back lacking import markings with its original holster and possible bring back papers is best for top buck.
also see http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareNagant.htm
so correct parts, defaced markings, correct grip, Tula star, 1917, or an Imperial date, possible MO stamped double date, CCCP marked, great bore, single or double action, import marked or not, lots of factors to consider :think: :think:
I think most would rather have a Tula star and import mark on the lower barrel for they common ones. For me it would be a 1917 dated Nagant and no import marks.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Russian Pistols”