Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Chrome YUGO M57 unusual marking

1895 Nagant, TT-30, TT33 and Makarov
FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

Chrome YUGO M57 unusual marking

#1 Post by FamilyFirearms » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:00 pm

We were offered a unusual gun today. It was a M57 chromed over seas ( import mark on top of the chrome) and has a unusual mark. Can anyone identify the markings and tell me if there are any significance to the chrome on the gun (like parade, officer, etc?). There was another one with a CZ grip on a YUGO gun?
Attachments
IMG_2623.PNG
IMG_6230.JPG

72 usmc
United States of America

Re: Chrome YUGO M57 unusual marking

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Not sure what mark you are referring to? I see the PW import mark and the commercial "ZASTAVA "Arms company mark with the "Made in Yugo" mark. These are different from the first chrome ones Classic did a few years back. Is it marked with a crest , in 9mm or 7.62x25 and is it marked M88, M57, M70 ?? This seems to be a recent made commercial pistol? Not really sure, but its not like the past Classic version that was chromed military pistol. This has some unchromed parts on it. Can you please show the slide upper/top markings and indicate its caliber. Is there a Yugo crest and serial number on the slide?. Is it 9mm like newer made Tokarevs. Do they have white holsters and 2 mags with matching numbers? Is the upper photo the same pistol and the lower photo shows the left indicating M57. Upper black photo is the same pistol???

this is what the older versions from 7-10 years ago looked like, If I remember right Classic had these done :think: :think: :think: They just took normal military M57 and had them chromed by someone. This was so long ago I no longer clearly remember the details.
5722541983_0f99b12207_b.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#3 Post by FamilyFirearms » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:54 pm

The marking is on the slide in the first pick. Not import mark and above made in mark. These were imported this way and most are heavily worn.

72 usmc
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Sorry all I can make out on my old computer is the factory trade mark "ZASTAVA" in fancy script which is below REDMOND WA and above MADE IN YUGOSLAVIA. That fist photo shows a like new pistol ,not heavily worn--looks really nice to me.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:07 pm

I assume these are in 7.62 x 25, at gun show most seem to buy the 9mm versions of the Yugo M88 and M88a?? There was a long and short version. Also there are 3 versions of the new M70 tokarev: M70, M70 a, M70 aa. It will be interesting to see if these are some special Army Yugo unit's pistols or something Zastava made to sell more surplus pistols. They certainly do not have the newer improved safety as found on the M70 models.
Todd a question, does it appear an old, well used M57 was recently rechromed, or is the chrome heavily worn off on the well used pistols? Like their military used a chrome pistol for a long time producing holster wear ?

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#6 Post by FamilyFirearms » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:50 pm

I will check them for that.

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#7 Post by FamilyFirearms » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 am

Ok, now I feel stupid. The mark is ZASTAVA in a block writing. I looked close up and didn't realize what it was with e import mark. Never seen it stamped on a gun like that.

72 usmc
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Todd, my 2 cents, M57 tokarevs in 7.62x25 original caliber are kind of out of favor due to the cost of ammo in WI. Just a comment. At Wi gun shows the M57 is always plentiful and difficult to sell if its not the 9mm version. The poor safety that is problematic and unavailability of ammo at regular stores makes it almost as bad a the French 1935 pistols. More like the new design safety on the slide and the 9mm version. There seems to be tons of old surplusM57s at 239-265 and not many are moving off the tables. Maybe some like the silver, but too bad they are not 9mm. The original Polish or Romanian Toks do sell. And you do not see these as often. When the 6 cent surplus ammo went to 40 cents a round. Toks fell out of favor at least that is the way it appears in WI. Not sure of demand at Ohio shows.
Let me know if you find an old surplus military M57 with the crestless slide that is somewhat decent and has matching numbers. Barrel and slide do have serial numbers on the crestless version. I need one to complete my set of all crests on the M57.

I am surprised there is no more input on the chrome ones?????

What are the codes and crests on the silver ones- anything different from the list??
Here is my revision of M57 codes and crests it also shows one crestless version:
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... 8&start=15

Can you show a view of a chromed over crest? Are the silver chromed ones still considered C&R??? Too bad PW can not put the import mark on the handle sides of the frame rather than the slide. That is sort of a nasty import mark placed over a nice trade mark. I am not sure someone that favors a nice silver pistol would like that import mark mess on the slide????

Return to “Russian Pistols”