Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

'95 Nagant revolver with .32 ACP cylinder range report

1895 Nagant, TT-30, TT33 and Makarov
Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

'95 Nagant revolver with .32 ACP cylinder range report

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:53 pm

I took the safe queen out with the .32 ACP cylinder installed to see how well it shot with my reloads of cast .32 ACP loads.
Out of the CZ27 pistol and other CZ's the load shoots very well.
The Nagant has been worked on by me to reduce the trigger pull and a tuning of the revolvers action to allow a smother operation when firing.
We set up a 10" gong at 25 yards and I tried the load. It shot 8" to the right. I drifted the front sight and tried again. The rounds were dead on target stacking most aimed shots on or close to on top one another.
I had three other club members try the revolver and they too did very well. I reload for the 7.62x33R cartridge but wanted to see if the .32 ACP would shoot well.
The cylinder is made for this cartridge. Even though the jump to the forcing cone is excessive, the bullet is stabilized very well.
There was no shaving of lead or blow back. All fired brass was easy to extract. All were perfect with no bulging.
A fun little cartridge that is cheap to reload for and by no means a "Mouse Gun" cartridge they way I load it.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

INGarand
United States of America

Re: '95 Nagant revolver with .32 ACP cylinder range report

#2 Post by INGarand » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:42 pm

I would like to know your load data, I also have a Nagant with a .32 ACP cylinder, using factory loads it barely dents a 55 gallon drum at 25 yards. Haven't checked accuracy due to expense of .32 ACP around here. Surplus Nagant ammo used to be cheap here but now expensive. Do you cast your own bullets?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:55 pm

I'm using a LEE mold 73 grain, round nose,two grease groove hard cast bullet over Unique powder.Bullet is sized and lubed to .312
Start with 3.0 grains for 965 FPS and slowly work up 1/10TH of a grain to a max of 3.5 grains for over 1,000 fps depending where you live.
I have not had any pressure signs or failures of the brass. All pistols and revolvers shooting this load cycled in a normal manner.
I fired 100 rounds yesterday out of the Nagant with very little leading. None on the forcing cone,just a fleck on the rifling.
You can use the same load with the Berry's Plated .312 71 grain bullets as well.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Airforce1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Airforce1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:13 pm

I was debating getting a cylinder until SOG had a closeout on spam cans of ammo a few months ago. Now I have more ammo than I know what to do with. :)

SpadeTrump
Vietnam

#5 Post by SpadeTrump » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:22 am

I have 2 M1895's One has the 32 acp cylinder. I have a spam can of 7.62x38r I got from SOG but I don't want to worry about cleaning (corrosive) because I usually blast off a few rounds before work / don't want to clean my gun. A question I have been thinking for a while. would it be any good to ream the 32 acp cylinder out to 32 H&R length so I could shoot 32 H&R or S&W long without bulging the cases by firing them in the original nagant cylinder? I'm a 32 collector. Even got a Buckeye special. I can keep shooting 32 acp out of it but just thought I would have a lot more options with bullets and charges if I used a longer case. any thoughts on this? I have no idea if it would work all I know is I can reload 32 long easier than acp and like I said I would have more bullet options. another thought was make it even longer to 327 magnum. I have heard the cases are thicker and last longer. just don't load it up to magnum specs obviously because the cylinder is the weak link.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by RWS » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:58 am

I see the different rim thicknesses on .32 acp vs .32 H&R mag as being a potential issue. Rim thickness for .32 acp is .045". All 4 of the .32 rimmed family have a rim thickness of .055", or .010" difference, The question would be whether or not the hammer could be brought to full cock with thicker rimmed cases.

Should that prove to be a problem then you might solve it by facing .010" off the rear of the cylinder but all that is a lot of squeeze for very little juice, IMHO. However, if you love to tinker then go for it and let us know how it comes out.

-Bob

SpadeTrump
Vietnam

#7 Post by SpadeTrump » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:58 pm

Thanks Bob. I will trim down a S&W to ACP length and see how it fits! Good Call. might be like a revolver with improperly seated primers. no good! might not turn at all!

Zeliard
United States of America

#8 Post by Zeliard » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:32 pm

I must profess that I'm NOT an expert by any means and will probably get some flak for this. So be it. :)

People have reamed out the .32 ACP cylinder for .32 H&R Magnum, I remember seeing posts about it on the old forum.

IMO .32 H&R Mag is sorta pushing it in terms of safety. I've shot it from a standard Nagant but have only used cowboy loads and haven't ran all that many through it. Others have run quite a few standard loaded H&R through their revolvers. .32 S&W Long is fine, no worries there as far as pressure goes. .327 mag would be (to me) a complete waste of time as you'd have to severely download it and heaven forbid someone screw up and load standard pressure cartridges into it. Seems more likely to invite catastrophe that way.

I'd probably just leave the .32 ACP cylinder as-is, but it's your gun. :)
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

mike56
United States of America

#9 Post by mike56 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:38 pm

My M95 likes the 32 auto cylinder. I have loaded 71 jacketed and 90-grain SWC home cast bullets with Red Dot. I also have the lee M95 die set and 32-20 brass. I use the same home cast bullets and Trailboss powder. I reload boxer Nagant gas seal brass using a .30 Carbine Lee loader it does a good job of sizing the brass. The .30 carbine seating rod is too short I made a longer one from a bolt. I have used graff Nagant .308 Wad cutters and the same home cast 90-grain SWC sized down to .310 and unique powder. I like the Lee 90gr .314 SWC mold I size it down to meet my needs. I run them slow. I cast them out of wheel weights and tumble lube them. I load bunny getter, can bouncing loads in 30-30, 54R and x39 in bolt action.

Return to “Russian Pistols”