Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Star Modelo B Super

scoobysnacker
United States of America

Star Modelo B Super

#1 Post by scoobysnacker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Here's mine, I put some wooden grips on (I've kept the original plastic, but tucked them away).

Reasonably clean condition, considering the age, and a slick shooter. Got mine back when J&G had them, came with 2 magazines and the (Spanish) manual.
I like it a lot.

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Star Modelo B Super

#2 Post by ffuries » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:02 am

Wow pretty clean example. Another one that is on my wish list. I don't think my list will ever get shorter as I keep adding to it.

Grips look nice on it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by RWS » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:04 am

These are surprisingly good pistols. I have a 1943 Model B (non-Super) and a Model B Super from the early 1960's. The design improvements in the Super are very well thought out.

I've noticed that several Model A and B Supers that I have seen in recent years (mine included) are afflicted with weak hammer springs. I know of no source of replacement springs. Even Wolff doesn't carry them. Mine in particular is only 100% reliable if I reload using Federal primers or shoot Federal factory ammo.

Accuracy-wise, both of my Stars shoot better than I can hold. It's a shame that they have become dinosaurs in this Brave New World of polymer frames.

-Bob

shoot4fun
United States of America

#4 Post by shoot4fun » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 am

Love old steel framed guns. I never jumped on the ownership of a Star, but I sure have enjoyed shooting them!

scoobysnacker
United States of America

#5 Post by scoobysnacker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm

RWS wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:04 am
These are surprisingly good pistols. I have a 1943 Model B (non-Super) and a Model B Super from the early 1960's. The design improvements in the Super are very well thought out.

I've noticed that several Model A and B Supers that I have seen in recent years (mine included) are afflicted with weak hammer springs. I know of no source of replacement springs. Even Wolff doesn't carry them. Mine in particular is only 100% reliable if I reload using Federal primers or shoot Federal factory ammo.

Accuracy-wise, both of my Stars shoot better than I can hold. It's a shame that they have become dinosaurs in this Brave New World of polymer frames.

-Bob
Yeah, these really are some great pistols. I'm fortunate that everything seems to function fine with mine, no issues with springs. It's one of the most accurate pistols I have- we loaded up and went to an outdoor range about 50 mi from my house, a public range that only requires you to have a hunting or fishing license of some sort (on the grounds of a Wildlife Management Area). The pistol range goes out to 100 yds, and has a berm behind it.
Using your standard 115 gr fmj (I think it was S&B), I was consistently able to bounce some paper plates around on the berm, shooting while standing. I brought a fair number of pistols out there, and the only other ones I was able to do that with were a couple of 22's.
shoot4fun wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 am
Love old steel framed guns. I never jumped on the ownership of a Star, but I sure have enjoyed shooting them!
It's definitely worth owning one! The one I have is really well made, everything is very slick and precise. There's no slop or wiggle to anything.

Croc
United States of America

#6 Post by Croc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:46 pm

The super B is one of my latest acquisitions and I also love it. Worth every penny. I just wish replacement parts were a little more available. If you are on the fence about it I would recommend buying one.

ffuries
United States of America

#7 Post by ffuries » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Nice I love the look of these.

Haven't seen any for sale locally, I like to handle wepons before I buy them. But that siad it's on my bucket list of guns I want.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “Spanish/S. American Pistols”