Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

1945 Star Model B I have been around the block...

Kevinofborg
United States of America

1945 Star Model B I have been around the block...

#1 Post by Kevinofborg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:10 am

I picked this Star Model B today and have pieced some things together. Made in 1945 and as a Commercial piece. I know it was too late for German WWII use but not sure if it was part of any known contract. Also at the same show was another better condition 1945 that had the same import mark but with what I believe was a fake German proof. Its S/N was in the B 266xxx range. My pistols S/N is B 274885.

What would be a good ballpark figure in today's (06/2017) market? It's bore looks great and I cannot wait to get it to the range (maybe with some Steel Tula ammo ;o))

Thanks,
Kevin
Attachments
IMGP5860.JPG
IMGP5859.JPG
IMGP5858.JPG
IMGP5857.JPG
IMGP5855.JPG
kevinofborg
TX

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: 1945 Star Model B I have been around the block...

#2 Post by RWS » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:41 am

The best available info I know of comes from Star's archives and suggests that the serial number from the last contracted Nazi Model B was 260,250. This is also a higher S/N than the last Model B in the Bulgarian contract series.

Although doubtful, it is barely possible that a smaller country contracted for a small number of Model B's in early 1945 and was willing to take commercial models. Personally, I doubt that and finding any provenance to prove that theory would be tough, IMHO.

-Bob

Kevinofborg
United States of America

#3 Post by Kevinofborg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:27 am

As was pointed out to me that the B was a over stamp of a smaller A. I missed it when I first looked at it. Make you go hmmm what is it really.

Thanks,

Kevin
kevinofborg
TX

Kevinofborg
United States of America

#4 Post by Kevinofborg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:06 pm

...but she still shoots okay. Had some extraction issues and a feed issue so maybe some new springs may help.

Was shooting at 7 yards with IMI 115g FMJ.

Kevin
Attachments
IMGP5869.JPG
IMGP5868.JPG
kevinofborg
TX

Remus1956
United States of America

#5 Post by Remus1956 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 am

Kevinofborg wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:06 pm
...but she still shoots okay. Had some extraction issues and a feed issue so maybe some new springs may hel
I have the same pistol with the same magazines. A few people here told me that even if the barrel is marked for 9mm para it doesn't mean that the magazines were made for it. They are most likely made for 9mm Largo. If I filled the magazine to capacity I had all sorts of feeding issues (nose dives) and sometimes the bullets would just spontaneously eject out of the port.
The remedy? Load 2 rounds less in each magazine (5 or 6 total) and try again. After that not a problem at all, and cycled just fine!

garra
United States of America

#6 Post by garra » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Here is a link to the Star site that has information on production and other markings. I have a model B with a serial of 232048. I believe the ones that were made under Germany were also marked with a 1908 on the side to indicate it fired 9mm Lugar, which corresponded to the date the Lugar was introduced.

http://star-firearms.com/index.html

Kevinofborg
United States of America

#7 Post by Kevinofborg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:02 pm

Quick update. Went shooting today with my Dad and thanks to a conversation early last week with Candyman I had some 124 grain 9mm ammo and (most like 95%) of my feeding issues are gone. So I tried steel cased ammo (115g), European 9mm (115), new Old stock B Mag, new Wolff spring and the thing that made the biggest difference was switching to 125 grain ammo. THANKS LEE!!
Attachments
IMGP5932.JPG
kevinofborg
TX

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by RWS » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:00 am

Here's an update on some reliability testing.

Just to add to Kevin's test info, I was having the same problems with my 1943 Star Model B. Commercial 115 grain brass-cased ammo just would not run reliably at all. I found numerous internet references about using steel cased ammo to improve reliability in Model B's, as that is what the Germans were using in WW2 (with 124 grain bullets). Several sources cited that the Star Model B was actually designed for steel-cased ammo, but it is not at all clear to me that this is factual.

In my own experimentation I found that using both Remington & Winchester commercial 124 grain brass-cased ammo functioned much better than 115 grain brass-cased commercial ammo. It improved reliability to about 95%.

Wolf & Tula steel-cased 115 grain ammo from WalMart performed similarly (about 95%).

When I was at Academy Sports they had put their house brand Monarch steel-cased 115 grain ammo on sale so I bought a couple of boxes. In my Model B this ammo ran 100%. I bought 3 more boxes and shot all of it with no malfunctions whatsoever. That's 250 rounds without cleaning and it all ran perfectly. I'm not positive, but I think Monarch ammo is made by Barnaul. The boxes just say "Made in Russia", but several people who claim to know have told me that it is made by Barnaul.

I am not a great fan of steel-cased ammo but that's all I am going to feed the Star in the future. Just passing my observations along. Would like to see someone else try the Monarch ammo in their Model B to see whether it was a fluke or not.

I would really like to test some steel-cased 124 grain ammo, but I'm not aware of any sources of new production ammo. I have some original WW2 German 124 grain ammo but I don't want to shoot it; it has some collectibility and it's corrosive to boot. For now at least, the Monarch ammo is doing the trick.

-Bob

Kevinofborg
United States of America

#9 Post by Kevinofborg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:29 am

Bob,

Good info. I will try to swing by Academy today or this weekend and get some more "test" ammo. Not sure when I will get a chance to go to the range but will provide my feedback. I too was wanting to see some 124 grain steel cased but had not found any.

Kevin
kevinofborg
TX

Return to “Spanish/S. American Pistols”