Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

New Star BM?

leadhead
United States of America

New Star BM?

#1 Post by leadhead » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:25 am

What would cause the slide to lock back after 2 or 3 rounds fired? It might work for even 4 or 5 rounds
and then the slide locks back before the mag is empty. Doesn't do it all the time, but enough to be a
problem. Thanks for any info.
Denny

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

Re: New Star BM?

#2 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Are bullets jamming together, or is it just locking back. If it seems to lock to the rear for no reason it should be the feed lips of the mag are either too close together, or the rear wall of the mag extends too high. The max pressure of the mag spring when fully loaded seems to be keeping the magazine itself in the lowest position in the mag well. Once the spring pressure is decreased the magazine can rise up and get in the way. If an empty mag has some "play" up and down, let us know, it could/should be a simple fix.
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

leadhead
United States of America

#3 Post by leadhead » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:34 pm

It locks back for no particular reason....The bullets are not jamming together.. I have 2 different magazines..one has a round
follower and the other is flat...Not sure which one is doing it or if it's both. The mags don't seem to have much play up and
down...about 1/16" if that. Could it be that my reloads are not "hot" enough? Thanks for any info.
Denny

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:17 am

Chances are good that your thumb is hitting the slide stop during the recoil cycle and causing the slide to lock back. This is a very common phenomena among 1911 shooters (I saw it happen at the range just yesterday) and the Star BM's slide stop is in a location similar to that of a 1911.

For testing purposes, drop your thumb down and don't use the double thumbs-up method of holding the pistol. If the pistol then runs 100% then you've found your problem.

-Bob

leadhead
United States of America

#5 Post by leadhead » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:26 am

Bob, That's very possible but I've been shooting 1911's for along time and have never had that happen.
I will pay closer attention next time to make sure I don't hit the slide stop. Thanks for the advice.
Denny

leadhead
United States of America

#6 Post by leadhead » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:32 am

Bob, Would removing the magazine safety have any effect on this? I'm going to replace it and see if it changes anything.
Denny
Last edited by leadhead on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by RWS » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:54 am

Denny, I think it is unlikely that removing (or replacing) the magazine would have anything to do with it at all, but trying a new mag certainly can't hurt, and is worth trying if you have access to one. I admit there is a possibility that the slide could be locking back prematurely due to catching somewhere on the magazine, although if this was the case then I would expect to see it happen a lot more than what I think you are experiencing. If the slide locked back prematurely in the middle of a mag stack due to a defective magazine the slide lock would be in the down position, determined by the fact that the catch on the slide stop is NOT engaged with the hold-back notch on the slide. So... you need to examine the BM closely when the slide does lock back prematurely. If the slide locks to the rear and the slide lock is not in the UP position then you do probably have a mag problem but again, I don't think this is likely.

On the other hand (so to speak), if your thumb is inadvertently hitting the slide stop during the recoil cycle then the presence or absence of a magazine will have nothing to do with it. If you have a loaded magazine in the mag well and you pull the slide to the rear while holding upward pressure on the slide stop then the slide should lock back, and the catch on the slide stop will be engaged with the hold-back notch on the slide. If there is no magazine in the mag well then the slide will also lock back IF you hold upward pressure on the slide stop while pulling the slide to the rear.

It is the tab on the mag follower that pushes the slide stop upward after the last round is ejected. It can only do this when the magazine is empty, so if the slide stop IS rising and locking back in the middle of a magazine then something else is causing the slide stop to rise when it's not s'posed to. IMHO, the most likely culprit is your thumb as this is a fairly common phenomenon. It is also barely possible that you have a defective slide stop, which would be a cheap replacement experiment to try, and there is also what I think is a slim chance that you have a bad magazine, but while I freely admit that I could be wrong, IMHO I'd bet on your thumb.

More experimentation on your part should tell the tale. Without the gun in hand it's all just speculation at this point. Fortunately, talk is cheap. The big thing to look for at this point is the slide stop. If the slide locks back when it shouldn't the most important thing to note is whether the slide stop is in the UP or DOWN position. UP is likely user error, DOWN is likely bad mag or bad slide stop.

-Bob

leadhead
United States of America

#8 Post by leadhead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:28 am

Bob, I meant the magazine safety. I removed it after I got the gun.
Denny

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#9 Post by RWS » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 am

Gotcha, Denny. I didn't read closely enough. My bad.

Personally, I don't believe the presence or absence of the magazine safety has any effect whatsoever on reliability. Most people remove 'em to get a better trigger pull and/or because they don't like the fact that the pistol won't operate as a single-shot weapon without a mag if a mag safety is present.

You have nothing to lose by replacing the mag safety, but I would be very surprised if that turned out to be the problem.

Also, I stand by everything I said in my previous post. Either your thumb or a bad magazine is causing the issue, IMHO. You just need to figure out which it is.

-Bob

Return to “Spanish/S. American Pistols”