Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Star BM failure to extract

BigMau
United States of America

Star BM failure to extract

#1 Post by BigMau » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 am

Just purchased a Star BM pistol from a local gun shop. This pistol is a great shooter and very accurate. I have noticed a firing a few mags of my 120 gr LRN (from my lee mold), I will have a failure to extract. The fired case is 1/2 out the chamber causing the pistol to jam. I cleaned the extractor assembly and gave the extractor spring a slight stretch. This seemed to solve the problem for awhile... then it returned. I'm kinda thinking I need a new spring??? Any advise? I'm also trying to find someone that stocks Star pistol parts.

Ozzman
United States of America

Re: Star BM failure to extract

#2 Post by Ozzman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:53 pm

What powder charge and type are you using in your reloads?
What is the definition of PROCRASTINATION?
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

pcj
United States of America

#3 Post by pcj » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:36 pm

There are a few possibilities.Dirty or rough chamber , extractor hook isn't positive and extractor may need to be fitted . Negative extractor hook or worn extractor can cam away from case when fired . Magazine could be sitting to high so the next round can hit the fired case . If you can try a different magazine .
Take off the slide place a round in place under the extractor , you should be able to wave the slide and the case should be held firmly against the breech face. If not extractor needs to be fitted to the gun or you may need a new extractor ,some new extractors need to be fitted too , many new parts aren't a drop in fit . Extractors fit is covered in gunsmith training​ and is hard to explain in a short post .
Have you tried different brands of ammo ? Some brands of ammo have different rim thickness and the extractor may work better with a certain brand .

If Numrich doesn't have parts you could try Jack First Inc . in Rapid City SD.
Just a few things to look for . Hope you get it figured out.If you do let us know what you found out .
Jack First phone​ # 605 343 8481
Last edited by pcj on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMau
United States of America

#4 Post by BigMau » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:09 pm

I try to reload all my LRN bullets at or a tad less than 900 fps. most of the reloads shot from this pistol were loaded with 3.9 gr. of Bullseye. My reloads work fine in my Walther p-38 (AC-42), Walther Creed, Taurus Pt-99AR & PT-709 and Springfield XD-9 Service pistol

Before working on cleaning the extractor, I checked all spent brass cases. When I took the pistol apart, I tested the extractor to see if I would hold round. The cases did not show any signs of wear/marks from the barrel/chamber. However, I did notice that the extractor groove had some dirt and dried oily material in and around the extractor spring. So.. I soaked and scrubbed the area with Ballistol and used an old toothbrush to clean the area. The extractor spring seemed slightly compressed. So... after cleaning.. I stretched it out just a little. Worked great for a 100 or so of my reloads... then it stated again.
I ordered a new extractor spring... hope this is the problem

Ozzman
United States of America

#5 Post by Ozzman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:10 pm

BigMau wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:09 pm
I try to reload all my LRN bullets at or a tad less than 900 fps. most of the reloads shot from this pistol were loaded with 3.9 gr. of Bullseye. My reloads work fine in my Walther p-38 (AC-42), Walther Creed, Taurus Pt-99AR & PT-709 and Springfield XD-9 Service pistol
Before you do any further tinkering to the pistol or replace any parts, I recommend you try a full power FMJ 124gr 9mm load, or reload a few LRN's that push 1,100 fps (not to exceed 1,200 fps). Typically, 3.9 grains of Bullseye is the starting load for a 124 grain LRN bullet.. For Bullseye, I typically use 4.2 grains of powder from a 90465 lee mold that drops 124 grain bullets that I powder coat. A 120 grain LRN over 3.9 gr of Bullseye, producing 900fps may be too weak for the Star. Heck even a standard 115 gr FMJ load pushes 1190 fps.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but the Star BM is not a Walther p-38 (AC-42), Walther Creed, Taurus Pt-99AR & PT-709 and Springfield XD-9. This pistol was designed to use full power 9mm Luger (NATO) rounds. Check your pressure, are you at or near 27,000 psi?
What is the definition of PROCRASTINATION?
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by RWS » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:22 am

I agree with Ozzman. Try some factory ammo first. If it won't run with either 115 or 124 grain factory ammo then you have a genuine problem, but that's where you need to start your diagnosis, IMHO. On the other hand, trying a new extractor spring can't hurt and should be cheap & easy.

For what it's worth, I have one Star 9mm pistol that only functions with steel-cased Russian ammo, but I think it's the exception rather than the rule. Tula is $7.50 a box at my WalMart so it might be worth trying a box of it while you're at it.

-Bob

BigMau
United States of America

#7 Post by BigMau » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 pm

RWS & Ozzman...

My reloads are just for target practice and my not have enough kick for the Star pistol. I'll have to try some Tula and another factory load. Thanks for the advise!!

BigMau
United States of America

#8 Post by BigMau » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Well... Went to my local gun shop and purchased two boxes of Winchester 115 gr. FMJ loaded to NATO specs (plain brown cardboard box) anf took this pistol to the range. The ejection improved.. brass cases kept ejected and landed a few feet to my right. The pistol would only feed one or two rounds at a time? The rounds would jam between the magazine follower and barrel. Kinda looked the magazine spring did not have enough force to align and force the round into the proper position for feeding into the chamber??

BigMau
United States of America

#9 Post by BigMau » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Quick update... My local gun shop had numerous problems with various brands of 9mm ammo. I returned the pistol and ended up with a Ruger P-85. The extra Star BM mag is for sale.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#10 Post by RWS » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 am

BigMau:

I finally decided to change my truck gun from a revolver to a hi-cap 9mm. I found a Ruger P85 at a gun show for $250 and proceeded to evaluate it for accuracy and reliability. It has proven to be a great gun in all respects. It has actually become one of my favorite 9mm pistols.

However, there has been a recall on them for years. The problem is that a handful of P85's have incurred broken firing pins when the safety lever was used, resulting in an accidental discharge. P85's that have been factory-repaired have "MKIIR" stamped on the lever as shown below:
example.jpg
example.jpg (19.5 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
If yours does not have this stamping then Ruger has made it easy and IMHO worthwhile to have the factory fix done. You just call Ruger at 1-800-424-1886 and give them your serial number. If your gun needs the fix then they will send you a pre-paid shipping label so you can send the gun to them free and get it fixed, and they send it back with a free factory magazine. My turnaround time was 4 days. This is the best customer service I have ever received in the firearms industry.

By the way, here's the link to that free owner's manual. Note that the 1st page gives more detailed information about the recall:
https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/p85.pdf

Hope this is helpful. I think every P85 owner ought to at least know about the recall. Whether or not to act on the recall is a personal decision.

-Bob

BigMau
United States of America

#11 Post by BigMau » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks RWS!!

The pistol is in the process of being sent back for the recall. I also have a loose mag latch...

Hoping Ruger has the parts to fix my P-85?? My family had a P-85 years ago... should of never sold it:(

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#12 Post by RWS » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Well, I expect you will get first class service on the recall fix but I dunno about parts for a pistol that's been out of production for over 25 years. I'd say your chances for a mag catch are slim but hey, you never know and it can't hurt to ask.

I'd be curious as whether or not you get any help with the mag catch. Let us know how it turns out.

-Bob

BigMau
United States of America

#13 Post by BigMau » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Called Ruger this morning...

They say they have the parts for the mag catch and safety?? Will do. I'll keep you posted.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#14 Post by RWS » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:53 am

Has it come back yet? Inquiring minds want to know...

-Bob

BigMau
United States of America

#15 Post by BigMau » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:52 pm

I called Ruger Wed. 8/29. They claim it's "on the bench" and the tech is working on it. Hope to get it back in a few days.

Return to “Spanish/S. American Pistols”