Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Death of a like new CZ27

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Death of a like new CZ27

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:04 am

Elaine and I are big fans of the .32 ACP ( 7.65 Browning ) over the last two years. Both of us have several handguns in this caliber. With the small cartridge,it is very economical to reload. With a cast lead bullet and a charge of Unique powder you can shoot it for pennies all day long.
She and I were at a local indoor shooting range, her shooting a CZ50 and me a like new CZ27 WWII pistol. Between the two of us we had fired 250 rounds and were having a good time seeing who could shoot the smallest group at 15 yards.
I loaded up the magazine and had fired three rounds at my target and was quite pleased with the clover-leaf group I was shooting. I raised the pistol up and fired the fourth round and it went into the same group. The fifth time I tried to take a shot the sear had not reset. I tried to jack the slide back and it would not move.
I safe'd the pistol and tried every thing I could to move the slide but it was firmly locked into battery. I could cock the hammer and pull the trigger ( aiming down range ) and tell the pistol had fired but failed to eject. I was thinking a case split and was jammed into the chamber. The brass had bee reloaded three times.
When we got home I was able to field strip the pistol but not able to remove the barrel. I could see a small crack at the breech face.
What the heck? After 45 minutes and a lot of new swear words, and synthetic oil,I was able to remove the barrel with no damage to the rest of the pistol parts.
I found the barrel was split from breech to 2 1/2" up the barrel!
In the 57 years I have been shooting I have never seen this or even heard of it happening other than a massive overload in a rifle or shotgun.
I took the barrel to my local gunsmith and friend and he said the barrel was flawed and you can see where the split follows the flaw in the steel. The barrel is Nazi marked and was in like new condition haven been fired little or not at all since the pistol was made.The fired casing shows no signs of an over-pressure but was slightly bulged on the right side where the crack formed which one would expect to see.
My heart is saddened as I love shooting this pistol. The .32 ACP is not a high pressure cartridge and there are no SAMI standards for this round. It would not be possible to throw a double charge of powder as the case would not hold it and would overflow onto the floor, let alone trying the seat a bullet.
Elaine and I have fired several thousand rounds of my reloads and never had any problems. I charge each case one-at-a-time so a overcharge is not possible. My load is far from max as it is just for cast lead 71 grain bullets. The load table says it is 18,500 PSI. ( 20,000 PSI for factory loaded FMJ bullets is max for most makers.)
There are no replacement barrels, and I have many shooting friends trying to locate another barrel. CZ24 barrels are common to find,CZ27,none to be found so far. what a shame.
CZ27 barrel crack.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

armabill
United States of America

Re: Death of a like new CZ27

#2 Post by armabill » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks for the link,but no one so far has a barrel for the '27. There is a fellow who bought and disassembled a very good plus pistol just to sell the parts. we may be able to come to terms.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:32 pm

In our area the pistols run $250 -650 depending on lots of factors so if you are lucky and get the barrel, its not out of the question to pay $200 +- 50 for an average barrel. I have never seen a barrel at a show, but dog pistols with rust , comm. mag -not orig or no magazine, and cracked grips. One had an SSN number engraved on the side, but even those complete dogs were priced at 250-300. May luck be with you. Great little pistols. Those original spare P Mod 27 magazines can cost $75-90 each.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:21 pm

I found a very good+ barrel with a bright shiny bore. It too is Nazi Dirty Bird marked, probable better marked than the cracked barrel.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

MustangHowie
United States of America

#6 Post by MustangHowie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:00 pm

I am a big fan of the 32acp too. I have a CZ27 among others. Did you get yours up and running?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:04 pm

I did, it took a long time to find a replacement barrel. It too is Nazi marked but no serial number. The pistol shoots normally.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

MustangHowie
United States of America

#8 Post by MustangHowie » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Good to hear it's fixed. I need to get mine out again.

M67
Slovenia

#9 Post by M67 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:56 am

Thats great. Bingo that you found wafenamt marked barrel and without SN. Now it is agai original ww2 pistol.
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#10 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:47 am

The pistol shoots as well as you'd expect it to.Same loads.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Czech Pistols”