Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

RUBY Won't Load

Les Révolvers et Pistolets de Militaires Français, Mle.1873, 1892, 1935, Unique, Ruby, et alia
SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

RUBY Won't Load

#1 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:16 pm

I recently bought a "nice" WWI French used Ruby pistol. Last week I took it to the range and she wouldn't load bullets into the chamber as they got stuck between the magazine and barrel. Any suggestions on what might be wrong? Pistol even had the two stars in the grip by the magazine.

Also, my French made Unique pistol from the 1950's stovepipe quite a few rounds. I was using 32ACP by PRVI (As was the case with the Ruby as well).

I'd like to get some ideas before I take the Ruby and perhaps the Unique into the gunsmith. I never had this problem with any pistol I've had.

Best Regards,

Mark

armabill
United States of America

Re: RUBY Won't Load

#2 Post by armabill » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Check the chamber size. They're not all the same.
Also, check the magazine feed lips.

nmcollektor
United States of America

#3 Post by nmcollektor » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:20 pm

One thought... Is the magazine original or aftermarket? If it is aftermarket, are you sure it's the correct one?

garra
United States of America

#4 Post by garra » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Mark,

Are you shooting hollow points or FMJ bullets, some autos only feed FMJ consistently.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#5 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 pm

The magazine is from another Ruby, complete with serial number. I am shooting FMJ, since I doubt they had hollow points in WWI, but those were some crafty people. I'll check the Magazine feed lips. The bullet is just not going into the chamber at all.

My fear is I need another magazine. Ummh, that should be fun to find. I'll try all your suggestions.

Best Regards,

Mark

garra
United States of America

#6 Post by garra » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:27 pm

Mark,

When I was making ammo for my French long 32 I was having the same type of issue, turned out my AOL was a little too short in my case. I realize these are factory loads, but see what they are running.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#7 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Ummh, I'm using nothing but the best Serbian ammo made from used Yugo parts. Okay, I actually like PRVI ammo, but I like digging in on a Yugo more. Your idea sounds very....cheap to do, not to mention easy. My Browning 1922 fired it just fine though. 32ACP is now my new fun caliber to pop off. I was looking at a "new" Ruby magazine (I don't think after market ones exist, but who knows), but those run around $45 shipped. I think my pistol is an AZ with an AK magazine. Same pistol, just different manufacturer. I though that it having those two stars stamped at the bottom of the grip indicated it was well made, at least from a French inspector's perspective.

BTW, I do love my Ruby and Unique, a.k.a. the mini-1911's.

garra
United States of America

#8 Post by garra » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:38 pm

You see I ran into the problem when i was trying to get the 32 long to work and feed properly on more than 1 or 2. Idea was to run through a magazine as fast as I could with no issues. Problem was the jacketed bullets were running a little too small in diameter so they were also a little too short. In order to get enough in the neck my AOL become under the length specified so I had lots of feed issues and stovepipes. After I corrected the bullet by casting my own to specs and made them as long as they were supposed to be it feed properly.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#9 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 pm

The PRVI rounds were a few thousands below minimal overall length "AOL". Ummh, we are dealing with a true psychic in Mr. Garra. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to get some bullets and do some hand loads now. At least to do have a set of 32acp dies. If the hand loads don't work, its a trip to the gunsmith. Once again, thanks for the tip.

Best Regards,

Mark

Tidewater_Kid
United States of America

#10 Post by Tidewater_Kid » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 pm

There is a seller on eBay goes by boyscoutsurvivor. He list magazines for Ruby pistols and has a great number of manufacturers in stock. I purchased one for mine and was very happy. For $27, I think it's a good deal.

TK
Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
Preserve Historic Artifacts for Future Generations: Collect Firearms

Return to “French Pistols”