Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

7.65 French Long.

Les Révolvers et Pistolets de Militaires Français, Mle.1873, 1892, 1935, Unique, Ruby, et alia
butcharoot
United States of America

Re: 7.65 French Long.

#16 Post by butcharoot » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:20 am

Thanks for the info SWIHARTMARK. Butch

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#17 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Just got my order in from Starline today. The rim is a few thousands thicker than mine and the 1945 steel cases I pulled out. I fit the new stuff into my pistol with the barrel out then closed with a case in it and they fit a bit "snugger" than their predecessors. A few thousands can do that as I have numerous experiences with making slip fitted mating parts. I think they will work, I hope. If not, I can fix this right fast.

Anyways, it is time to order a Lee .32acp mould and perhaps look for a m1935S now. I'm going to put "Prussian Blue" on my Starline cases just to keep them separate from my own work. It was nice to pull out the pistol and see her again. I have no memory how she shot, but she cycled all my cases, which made me feel good.

Do post your experiences with this brass. The wider groove seems to be good thing. The wider rim, not so much.

Best Regards,

Mark

Tuna
United States of America

#18 Post by Tuna » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:41 pm

Ok so I have been loading these new cases. First thing is to full length size them in a die made for the 7.65. Standard small pistol primer and 3.5 gr. Unique gives positive function and the cases show standard pressure signs. The bullet is the Hornady .309 diameter 90 gr. HP.

Now some older loads I had made but did not get the chance to fire are loaded in modified .32 S&W cases. 3.3 grs Bulleye with a .308 85 gr. bullet pulled from 7.62x25 ammo. These fire but do not eject properly. Both of my 1935 pistols like and function with the Unique so now its a matter of seeing which load shoots the best.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#19 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:16 pm

I just started reloading some of the Starline brass I bought and it is coming out of the shell holder since the ejector groove was cut way too large/long. I tried some of the cases I personally made with my own tooling and quickly noticed the difference in how the cases were held in by the shell holder. I used a shell holder from several different manufacturers to no avail with the Starline brass. I'll stick to my own stuff from now on. If you can't bother to copy something correctly, just stop making junk/scrap. I guess I could attempt to make my own shell holder for this stuff, but making my own cases seems better since I know those will always work. Gads, a simple visual inspection detected the problem once it was noticeable from working shells into the dies from various shell holders. I used a CH4D for 7.65mm French long, a Lee for 32acp and something else. That's terrible with a capital "T" and that don't rhyme with pool. Rookie machinist....

Best Regards,

Mark

I shall attempt to contact Starline and give them an earful,

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#20 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:15 pm

I found out the best shell holder to fit for the steel case French original .32 French Longue and the new Starline brass French long is the RCBS 7.65 special order shell holder part # 57170 RCBS brand. RCBS Shellholder 7.65mm French MAS (32 French Long) Product #: 921353 Manufacturer #: 57170-SH7.65FrnchMAS.

So it seems RCBS discontinued this shell holder :roll: :( :doh: BAD NEWS! IT fits the new STARLINE BRASS perfect. Go figure. Not sure who may have a few. Someone needs to call RCBS and get them on the ball.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012260416?pid=921353
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 7.27.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 7.58.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 7.58.06 PM.png (147.13 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Shell holders for additional cartridges may be available.
Contact RCBS Customer Service at 1.800.533.5000

What shell holder are people using if not the RCBS one????

I am not sure of this, but maybe CH4D shell holder M1 may work. see the list it may fit. I have not tried this one ( it seems to multi purpose and one may have some wobble and up/down movement like seen if one used a .22 hornet shell holder---sloppy at best):
https://en.strobl.cz/M1-shell-holder-ch4d-2/
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#21 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:11 pm

The Lee Precision #7 for 32ACP definitely does not work. The CH4D M1 does not work either. The RCBS#12 does apparently work though. I still like my brass better since it works in all three. I have no idea how this stuff ejects yet. We shall see. Mine does work though. It is shameful that the CH4D shell holder does not work as well as the Lee Precision #7, since you either paid a lot of money for a die set or only can afford a reasonably priced Lee 32ACP set to reload 7.65mm French long with. I cannot give this brass high marks yet for those reasons alone. Seriously, how many shell holders do you have to buy to work this stuff?

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, going to use the 32ACP Lee powder thru die for this. I do love my 32ACP regardless.

Return to “French Pistols”