Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

8mm Lebel Pistol Ammo

Les Révolvers et Pistolets de Militaires Français, Mle.1873, 1892, 1935, Unique, Ruby, et alia
SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

8mm Lebel Pistol Ammo

#1 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:32 pm

I wanted to know if I should anneal my 32-20 Winchester brass before I cut it down for 8mm Lebel cases, I'm guessing yes I should. Unfortunately, right now my garage isn't ready for me to do any annealing in it and I need a nice safe darkened place to do it so I can see the case turn that ruby red before it gets too soft. My daughter has her stuff in it and is looking for work right now, so until she finds a job, I'm rather avoiding using my blow torch in there. At least she has a degree in chemical engineering, so there is hope sooner than later, but I'm getting itchy to fire that pistol.

I could use a load for that using those .330 diameter 100 grain FMJ bullets from GRAF. I like using Unique powder if possible.

Best Regards,

Mark

garra
United States of America

Re: 8mm Lebel Pistol Ammo

#2 Post by garra » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Mark,

When I made my brass for the lebel pistol, I just cut down the 32-20 brass. If i remember correctly you cut behind the neck area so you are already close to the correct diameter. I use one of those small cut off saws from Harbor Freight, had to make holders for the brass so I could handle small length cases and not whack my fingers.

les1234
United States of America

#3 Post by les1234 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:08 pm

I haven't needed to anneal it yet, I have used both new brass, and used 32-20 with damaged necks. the last I made, I whacked it off with a cutoff wheel in a dremel, then run it into the expander die a little bit, then do the final trim on my Forester trimmer. I've made about 60-70 so far and only lost one to a split, and it was a new case, not used. I think I tried Unique, but didn't find any advantage over Bullseye, I don't think I wrote down the Unique loads.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#4 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:15 am

I don't have any bullseye.... I'm going to use a counter bore cutter on a drill press with a pilot while I hold it in a V-Block clamped to the drill press. I'll skip the annealing. Wish me luck.

Best Regards,

Mark

butcharoot
United States of America

#5 Post by butcharoot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:13 am

garra, do you have pics of the holders you used when cutting down the 32-20 brass? Any info would be much appreciated. Butch

les1234
United States of America

#6 Post by les1234 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:59 am

I just marked the approximate length with a sharpie, held them with my fingers and cut with a dremel, but you have to cut quick before the case gets hot to touch. Then expand what's left of the neck, and trim on a Forster trimmer.

butcharoot
United States of America

#7 Post by butcharoot » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:06 am

les1234, thanks for the reply. Butch

Return to “French Pistols”