Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Vis 35 Radom

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Vis 35 Radom

#1 Post by Calfed » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:47 pm

My son and I have been on the prowl for a decently priced Radom vis 35 and finally scored one. Can't find any import marks.

Auction pics...

It arrived at my FFL's today, but I blew the pictures I tried taking with my phone...

vandle
Australia

Re: Vis 35 Radom

#2 Post by vandle » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:21 am

Thats a nice example, i love the patina
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Calfed » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks, Vandle.

Unfortunately my state has a 10 day "cooling off" period, so it will be a few weeks before I get a chance to shoot it.

vandle
Australia

#4 Post by vandle » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:30 am

We have something similar here as well, although getting a pistol licence in Oz could take up to 6 months. You are then restricted for 12 months on what you can have.

Hope I can find something half as nice as yours
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

M67
Slovenia

#5 Post by M67 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:03 am

Beautiful pistol! I would like to add one in my collection. But here they are quite rare and expensive. It is very narrow and at the same time it has an excellent grip on the handle. One of the best during the second war.
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by RWS » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:29 am

For what it's worth, my chart sez that your K2136 (1st K-series) VIS was produced in the 4th quarter of 1942. The range is allegedly H0451-K2300, so best guess is maybe December of '42. Also, it was at the start of the 1st K series that the trigger relief cuts (similar to the relief cuts on a 1911A1) were eliminated as a cost-cutting measure. I note your VIS lacks the relief cuts, which is to be expected.

The Polish Radom VIS was one of the two full-size 9mm Parabellum "Fremdengerate" service pistols(foreign made under Nazi occupation). The other Fremdengerate 9mm Parabellum pistol was the Belgian Hi-Power. Some people count Austrian pistols as Fremdengerate but technically Austria was annexed, not occupied per se. It's a semantic argument.

If I recall correctly there were eight 9mm Parabellum service pistols that the Nazis used: I am fortunate to have one of each.
- P.08 Luger
- P.38
- Radom VIS
- Belgian (Browning) Hi-Power
- Star Model B
- Astra 600
- Mauser Broomhandles converted from 7.63 Mauser to 9mm Parabellum
- Steyr-Hahn M1912 pistols converted from 9mm Steyr to 9mm Parabellum

Nice 3-lever pistol there, Cal-Fed. Hint... don't take the recoil spring guide assembly apart unless you just absolutely have to.

-Bob

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Calfed » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys!
RWS wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:29 am
Nice 3-lever pistol there, Cal-Fed. Hint... don't take the recoil spring guide assembly apart unless you just absolutely have to.
-Bob
Bob, you are the second person to issue that warning to me. What gives?

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#8 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Geez, now you guys got me wanting one...

So knowing this is a loaded question..

WHat to look for and what price range are they..

sowbelle
United States of America

#9 Post by sowbelle » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Very nice looking pistol
And yes? Whats up with not taking the recoil spring guide ass'y apart??

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#10 Post by RWS » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:51 am

My warning probably came off as too foreboding.

Bottom line (and strictly my opinion) is that is that the juice just ain't worth the squeeze on disassembly UNLESS you have a defective recoil guide assembly. There is no reason that it can't be done, but considering how tedious the job is I just don't recommend doing it unless you have to. Also, if you DO have to take one apart because the pistol is not working correctly then it's even money that Bubba has been there before you and messed up the guide assembly.

The entire guide assembly is under fairly heavy spring compression and the central pin is very easily lost. That's all. I took one of mine apart to clean it thoroughly but it wasn't particular dirty or gummed up so I decided not to chance the disassembly on my other 3 Radom VIS pistols. Gotta be very strong to put the assembly together without a vise. I'm sure Radom had an assembly fixture when the pistols were being assembled.

A friend of mine took his apart and that central pin flew away never to be found. Probably best to disassemble it in a gallon ZipLoc bag and have a buddy assist with reassembly as there is a lot going on and parts positioning is a bit crucial prior to re-installing the pin.

As far as I know, there is no source for original spring guide replacement assemblies. Tom Heller has some that he has made and his work is usually very good but again, it's not original and the value of the pistol is lessened accordingly.

-Bob

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#11 Post by RWS » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:21 am

indy1919a4 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Indy:

1. I recommend buying the Berger book as a start to learn about the different variations. About $25 from Amazon. It's a thin book but has been THE VIS/Radom book for many years now. Link below:

2. Recognize that the price varies wildly depending on which model or type you get. Pre-war "Polish Eagles" (manufactured before WW2 started) can go for up to $2,000 or more. Ditto for late-war pistols with wooden grips built by Steyr (2nd K series) and marked with a bnz code.

Grade II 3-lever pistols like Cal-Fed's can often be found in NRA Good to VG condition in the $600-$800 range. Same for run-of-the-mill Grade III 2-lever pistols. NRA EXC specimens will obvious be much more due to scarcity. This assumes all matching parts and an original magazine. Otherwise, the price should be less. Luck comes into the picture as well. A couple of years ago I found a nice Grade II VIS for $350 on a table at a gun show. That is not how I usually see them priced though.

I'll send you some info via email that will help you get started at least.

-Bob

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#12 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:56 pm

RWS wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:21 am
indy1919a4 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Indy:

1. I recommend buying the Berger book as a start to learn about the different variations. About $25 from Amazon. It's a thin book but has been THE VIS/Radom book for many years now. Link below:

2. Recognize that the price varies wildly depending on which model or type you get. Pre-war "Polish Eagles" (manufactured before WW2 started) can go for up to $2,000 or more. Ditto for late-war pistols with wooden grips built by Steyr (2nd K series) and marked with a bnz code.

Grade II 3-lever pistols like Cal-Fed's can often be found in NRA Good to VG condition in the $600-$800 range. Same for run-of-the-mill Grade III 2-lever pistols. NRA EXC specimens will obvious be much more due to scarcity. This assumes all matching parts and an original magazine. Otherwise, the price should be less. Luck comes into the picture as well. A couple of years ago I found a nice Grade II VIS for $350 on a table at a gun show. That is not how I usually see them priced though.

I'll send you some info via email that will help you get started at least.

-Bob
Many thanks Bob, that was a wonderful booklet you sent.. One more gun... One more gun.. Which in all honesty, I think I need 3

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#13 Post by Calfed » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:38 pm

RWS wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:51 am
My warning probably came off as too foreboding.

Bottom line (and strictly my opinion) is that is that the juice just ain't worth the squeeze on disassembly UNLESS you have a defective recoil guide assembly. There is no reason that it can't be done, but considering how tedious the job is I just don't recommend doing it unless you have to. Also, if you DO have to take one apart because the pistol is not working correctly then it's even money that Bubba has been there before you and messed up the guide assembly.

The entire guide assembly is under fairly heavy spring compression and the central pin is very easily lost. That's all. I took one of mine apart to clean it thoroughly but it wasn't particular dirty or gummed up so I decided not to chance the disassembly on my other 3 Radom VIS pistols. Gotta be very strong to put the assembly together without a vise. I'm sure Radom had an assembly fixture when the pistols were being assembled.

A friend of mine took his apart and that central pin flew away never to be found. Probably best to disassemble it in a gallon ZipLoc bag and have a buddy assist with reassembly as there is a lot going on and parts positioning is a bit crucial prior to re-installing the pin.

As far as I know, there is no source for original spring guide replacement assemblies. Tom Heller has some that he has made and his work is usually very good but again, it's not original and the value of the pistol is lessened accordingly.

-Bob
Thanks, Bob. I'll keep that in mide.

Was considering replacing the recoil spring before firing it. can that be accomplished with out disassembling the recoil spring guide assembly?

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#14 Post by RWS » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:12 am

No. Unfortunately, the recoil spring is captive and can only be removed by disassembling the recoil spring guide assembly. This is why I issued the warning.

I sent you an email with some minimal info on reassembling the recoil spring guide assembly. Disassembly is easier than the reassembly, and as I said earlier it can be accomplished if you're careful and competent with hand tools. An assistant, just for the extra pair of hands, will be helpful as well.

I'm sure you already know it but Wolff has replacement recoil springs (but not the guide) for about $8. However, the original springs are usually adequate for light to moderate shooting. The Radom VIS is a well-designed, stout handgun. Your call on that. I chose not to replace any of my springs so as to keep the originals with the pistol. I probably would have replaced them if it was as easy to swap the originals back in as would be the case with a 1911 or Hi-Power.

-Bob

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#15 Post by RWS » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:01 am

Cal-Fed:

I've been trying to reach you by both PM and email about your request for information. Are you not receiving anything from me at all?

-Bob

Return to “German Pistols”