EAA Windicator .357 (Nickel)

Ozzman
United States of America

EAA Windicator .357 (Nickel)

#1 Post by Ozzman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Good afternoon Gents.

Question.

I have the opportunity to buy a nickel finish EAA Windicator in .357 for $300.
It is not new, however I have been told it is a year old and has never been fired.
Technically, was a gift that was given but never used.

Should look like this:
windicator.jpg
windicator.jpg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 406 times
I have a chance to buy it next week when I get to see it, but I have yet to find an honest video or article on it.
Some people like it and say it's the best revolver EVER, and there are those that say it is a POS in a box.
Anyone here own one or shot one? What are your opinions?
Buy or Run Away?

The average price on these new on gun deals is $340, thus I know $300 is fair if the story is true.
What is the definition of PROCRASTINATION?
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

DeaconKC
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

Re: EAA Windicator .357 (Nickel)

#2 Post by DeaconKC » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:58 pm

These are good serviceable guns. They are not as smooth as a S&W. The main gripe I have heard on the short barreled guns is the short ejector rod, bu that is common on many snub revolvers. Holsters for S&W K/L frames should fit this gun.
"Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose."

Ozzman
United States of America

Re: EAA Windicator .357 (Nickle)

#3 Post by Ozzman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks Deacon.
I picked it up last week, and shot it this weekend.
So far, it's a descent shooter and internal mechanisms are smooth... Ran about 120 .38 special and about 75 .357 .
Accuracy was good in SA, and DA trigger is pretty good compared to others.
20170625_205623.jpg
20170625_205615.jpg
Few items I noticed that set it apart in a good way:
- tight cylinder lockup with zero slop.
- grip angle feels good and natural.
- has some heft in the frame, and thus reduced felt recoil (for me) with .357
- While not S&W quality, it is exceptional for a $300 revolver.

Some Cons (IMO)
- rubber grip does not sit/marry well to the revolver and won't still in the hand. A firm grip is required when shooting.
Cannot tighten the screw without damaging the rubber at the bottom of the grip. Minor fitting, or a new grip is needed and thus far not available.
- The front sight is difficult to see in bright and low light conditions. Will add red nail polish to the front sight.
- Ejector rod is too short IMO. Needs to be slightly longer. Works fine, but I have to hit the rod fast to get them to all eject at once.

Biggest NEGATIVE
- Cylinder was obviously designed for .357 and is stamped so, however the cylinder has the length of a .38 special. It is slightly too short for my 3000+ reloads of .357 rounds I already have made. I needed to re-seat a handful of bullets slightly further down into the case for bullets to clear the forcing cone.
Made 100 of them for this range trip and it sucked doing so.

For what it is, I give it a grade of C+ for my use.
Many of you would give it an F for the grip and the special ammo issue.
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

Friedspam
United States of America

#4 Post by Friedspam » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:37 am

I'm glad to see a "review" of the revolver as I've never owned one or knew someone who did. They've been in the picture for years, always assumed them to be questionable in the quality department but based that solely on price which isn't necessarily always correct. Would you say they are about like a Rossi or Taurus?
Mike

Ozzman
United States of America

#5 Post by Ozzman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:22 pm

Friedspam wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:37 am
I'm glad to see a "review" of the revolver as I've never owned one or knew someone who did. They've been in the picture for years, always assumed them to be questionable in the quality department but based that solely on price which isn't necessarily always correct. Would you say they are about like a Rossi or Taurus?
Mike
In my opinion, yes, the Windicator is right on par with both of these manufactures. It's hard to compare, since I believe Rossi and Taurus are very similar in quality and reliability anyway. Both lines are hit and miss mechanically and aesthetically.

The only "edge" I believe the Windicator would have, is in it's function. Mechanically, I think the Windicator IMO is slightly superior to the both manufactures, as lock up is very tight and accuracy is more consistent with a standard 158 grain bullet due to it's bulk. It's built like a tank. It does however fall short to both the Rossi and Taurus when it comes to aftermarket accessories. Both manufacturers have a better selection of grips available, and better sights on similar sized revolvers.
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

Friedspam
United States of America

#6 Post by Friedspam » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:45 pm

When you say, "built like a tank", kind of Rugerish?

Ozzman
United States of America

#7 Post by Ozzman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Friedspam wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:45 pm
When you say, "built like a tank", kind of Rugerish?
Not too sure, as I don't own Rugers in the smaller magnum cartridges.
The only Ruger revolver I own to compare it to is the Super Red Hawk Alaskan in .454.

Honestly, that's a whole different class, and it's nowhere near that...
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

shoot4fun
United States of America

#8 Post by shoot4fun » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:40 pm

I own the blued version of this gun. It gets a steady diet of .38spl, and it is definitely fun to shoot. I've not loaded any .357, just a couple boxes of commercial stuff, and it functioned just fine. .357 is definitely manageable out of this gun as it is no lightweight ccw piece. It doesn't really compare to a classic like a S&W M27, but I don't think it was ever really designed to. Mine has a better fit/finish than most Taurus revolvers that I've shot. Single action pull is nice, double action is not terrible, but could benefit from some smoothing/polishing, if one were so inclined.
An interesting note, I looked at a couple of the 2 inch versions before buying the 4 inch. Both of the crowns on the 2" guns were very roughly cut and not finished/polished. The rest of the gun was blued but the crown was still in the white and very rough and sharp.

Ozzman
United States of America

#9 Post by Ozzman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:42 am

shoot4fun wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:40 pm
It doesn't really compare to a classic like a S&W M27, but I don't think it was ever really designed to. Mine has a better fit/finish than most Taurus revolvers that I've shot. Single action pull is nice, double action is not terrible, but could benefit from some smoothing/polishing, if one were so inclined.
^^ Agree
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#10 Post by vonalt » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:03 pm

I go along with what shoot4fun posted. Problem I had with the one I shot ( 2 inch snubby version) was the trigger. The grooves cut into the face of the trigger were rough and there was a bur that I felt when I would shoot especially in DA. Needed a bit of finish work. My son didn't keep his and soon traded it off.

Return to “German Pistols”