Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Luger advice...

echo1
United States of America

Luger advice...

#1 Post by echo1 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi Fellas,

I've come up on an artillery Luger with 1 mag, holster, & stock. The iron itself is very nice with matching numbers where exposed. The rig has a tool & cleaning rod, but the holster & stock have to be reproduction, as they're virtually new. Sticker price is $3495, but I threw out some SKSs as straight trade fodder and he'll go for it. An Alby OR a Paratrooper, a Shernic pup, and 3 Chinamen, all spikers.

I know there's more to learning about Lugers then can be given here, but I thought I ask those in the know anyway.

What say ye? PAX

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Luger advice...

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:47 am

I've owned Lugers for 58 years now. The two most common "problems" if you want to call it that is that:1. The wrong bullet weight was used. These pistols were designed to shoot the 124 grain bullet really moving out. While you may be able to shoot 115 grain bullets the toggle may short stroke and cause a failure to feed.
2.The magazine spring is most likely weak. This will cause a FTF,stove-pipes,etc.
Wolf has extra power springs. Make sure you order the Correct one. There are "Coil" springs and 'Rectangle " shaped springs.
If you can load five rounds in your magazine and it does not hurt your thumb or really take some effort with the loading tool to pull the follower down, you most likely have a weak spring.
As for price, the sticker was on the high side to be sure. It's how you feel about the deal that is important.
As for the pistol,without photo's it is impossible to make a determination one way or the other.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

echo1
United States of America

#3 Post by echo1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks R,

It's a 1917 but it's been reblued. I pulled the Alby out of the offer. If it flies ok, if not ok. PAX

luigi
United States of America

#4 Post by luigi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:03 am

Love to see picture when you can! Is it 9mm or 7.62mm? I reload "light loads" 9mm 115gr FMJ for my luger.

Per Rapidbob I use a magazine tool to load!

echo1
United States of America

#5 Post by echo1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 am

After doing more research, I pulled my trade offer. Apparently, $1700-$2200 is more in line with reality. PAX

onefouralpha
United States of America

#6 Post by onefouralpha » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:49 pm

Refinishing would kill it for me, especially if it's the all too typical "burned to death with a buffing wheel" job.

Return to “German Pistols”