Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

P38 under French control.

dynachrome
United States of America

Re: P38 under French control.

#16 Post by dynachrome » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm

I consider them to be Walthers as I think the equipment was Walther whether under Manuhrin or not. Slides marked manuhrin and Made in France were for West German customers who could not buy "German" weapons under the 4 power agreement after WW2. My impression is that it is the slides were marked Manuhrin so as not to violate that agreement. I ran 50 rounds thru mine and it shot awesome.
"When an empire dies, you are left with large monuments in front of which illiterate peasants squat to defecate"

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#17 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:40 am

Just recently I have shot 2 of the French made SVW P38.. On both of the pistols the hammer drop when the safety was used resulted in the gun firing.. Do all French SVW p38 do this..?? The French army is not a big believer in safeties as it is.. So maybe they did not really worry about that part..

Personally I have never trusted any of those pistols that drop the hammer automatically then the safety is applied.. I would much rather do the hammer drop myself.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#18 Post by RWS » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:45 am

No, definitely not supposed to fire when using the hammer drop safety. Be very cautious and make sure that anyone shooting the gun is aware of the issue.

It's possible that the original firing pins were swapped out with P1 firing pins. I'm not asserting that this is the problem; just noting that the P1 firing pins were different from the WW2 versions and this might have a bearing on the SVW's function. Or not.

If you go to the Gun Parts Corp. web site you will see that new post war style round P1 firing pins are $11 and old WW2 style flat P38 firing pins are $48 (and currently out of stock). Sometimes unscrupulous sellers will replace original parts with incorrect or repro parts to make more money. Your P38 may or may not have been doctored. Hard to know for sure.

I once bought a 1943 WW2 Star Model B with a missing trigger for $35. Couldn't find the correct trigger anywhere but GunPartsCorp had post-war commercial triggers for $20 that fit and functioned just fine. It allowed me to sell what should have been a $200 gun at the time for $125, but the buyer knew the trigger wasn't period correct. Turned a paperweight into a shooter and made a little money for little effort.

-Bob

Hammerdown
United States of America

#19 Post by Hammerdown » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:56 pm

indy, if they are firing on the hammer drop safety then somethings out of specs and/or gummed up with grime.
Parts to look at after a full takedown and cleaning of the slide are: firing pin, firing pin lock and spring, and safety catch.
As stated before P1 and P38 have a few different parts. The firing pin shouldn't be able to move forward unless the trigger is pulled and releases the firing pin lock.
If someone tried to move the rear sight for windage(not an adjustable sight) it may have done some damage to the parts that need to be checked.
Captain Obvious, you have never failed me!

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#20 Post by RWS » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:10 am

Good call on checking the rear sight for parts damage.

Return to “German Pistols”