Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

BP revolver help

swede
United States of America

BP revolver help

#1 Post by swede » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi all. I was just given a 44 cal cap and ball revolver, brass frame, reproduction. I guess some stoners left it out in the rain, it rusted, and they were throwing it away. My step daughter knowing I am a gun guy thought I could reserrect it and brought it to me. my question is can't you remove the cylinder from these revolvers? Can someone put me on the path to a site where I can find out info. I don't know the make of the revolver yet since most of the rust is on the barrel etc

Urbanwolf
United States of America

Re: BP revolver help

#2 Post by Urbanwolf » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Can you post a picture? If it's an open frame like this one.
image.jpeg
Then you remove the wedge indicated by the pencil and the front of the frame and barrel comes off allowing the cylinder to be removed

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#3 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:46 pm

FIRST YOU Check it really IS unloaded!
& If its a closed frame, like this:
You push the latch at the front of the muzzles underslung rod (the rammer lever) to the rear, which frees it from the under barrel catch, which swings down. you want it swung down JUST enough that the "T" piece will slide forward, but not so far the sliding rammer at the other end goes back into the chamber.
Then you pull the other "T" Shaped (captive) pin as far forward as it will go.
Now 1/2 cock the hammer & roll the cylinder out to the side.
DSCF9139.JPG
DSCF7920.JPG
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php

http://gunslingersgulch.com/index.php?action=forum

both specialize in cap & ball stuff.

swede
United States of America

#4 Post by swede » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Urbanwolf it is like that one you posted. I removed the lever under the barrel, I seemed to remember that was how they but, I have not much time with these. I think I need to let the clp work for a couple more days. things need to loosen up. Thanks for the links and info

ffuries
United States of America

#5 Post by ffuries » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Could there be a screw above and on the key/wedge that needs loosened? My ASM Navy has one, but I don't know if others do too. Also my key/wedge needed to be whacked with a mallet to loosen it up after soaking in oil for a while. Now it's easier to remove it now that I've got the technique down.

If you open the picture below, you can zoom in and see the screw above the wedge and make out the profile of the one on the wedge. Now the people smarter than me could tell you which one needs loosened and or removed to make it happen.
Attachments
file-2.jpeg
Last edited by ffuries on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

les1234
United States of America

#6 Post by les1234 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 pm

The screw doesn't need to be removed on these, it's there to keep the wedge from falling completely out(at least that's how it's supposed to work) You may need to whack the wedge with a brass or plastic mallet to get it apart, but it should not be that tight when re-assembled properly. No need to remove the rammer, either. If the barrel won't slide off easily, you can use the rammer to help it, turn the cylinder so that the metal between the chambers is lined up with the ram, then press down with the lever to press it apart. But depending on the degree of rust, you may have to resort to more drastic measures.

Urbanwolf
United States of America

#7 Post by Urbanwolf » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Les1234 has it exactly right. You don't need to remove the rammer or the screw. I don't fire mine much so I still need to give the wedge a few good whacks with a plastic mallet and punch to get it out. Then you pull off the barrel and rammer. If you half cock the revolver it lets you spin the cylinder so you can use the rammer against the cylinder to help remove the barrel then with the hammer still half cocked you can pull off the cylinder. There are some good videos on YouTube that show the process. Mine is a 1851 navy.

swede
United States of America

#8 Post by swede » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:14 am

Thanks urbanwolf for the info. I guess I have to reassemble it to get the cylinder out

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Pistols”