Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Colt Lightning double action, doesn't

Hammy
United States of America

Colt Lightning double action, doesn't

#1 Post by Hammy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Mods, if this is not in the right place, please either move or delete. Hey guys, I'm hoping you can give me some direction on this. It belongs to a Viet Nam vet, a Navy corpsman who spent time with Marine Recon (and the stories he tells!!). The revolver is an 1877 Colt Lightning double action. It works fine in single action, the hammer locks back, the cylinder is locked in, when you pull the trigger the hammer falls. When you try it in double action, the trigger comes back, the cylinder turns, the hammer comes back but does not release when the trigger is pulled all the way back. The trigger does go forward when you let off it. Also, the hammer has no half-cock; it's either all the way forward or all the way back, so when I take the cylinder out, I need 3 hands to push the detent, pull out the cylinder pin, and roll the cylinder out. I'm thinking the sear needs replaced, am I on the right track? Any direction will be appreciated. Jimi....
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

Re: Colt Lightning double action, doesn't

#2 Post by ghostdevilguy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:48 pm

If you can find them, I'd start with replacing the springs.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#3 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:15 am

Now this is just me, but those Colt Lightings had some serious reliability issues, and they are fairly complex..

I would not do this fix on my own. (Unless I had some lightning experience).. I would take this to a professional gunsmith who works on lightnings and knows their way around the little beastie. And it may cost a little, but that is better than an 1877 box of parts..

And God knows I like to be thrifty and work on something myself... But lightnings are touchy.. Now if I was in the days of the old west and wanted a DA revolver, I would have skipped the Lightning and Got a 1878 Frontier, they were much more reliable, But that is another story....

DeaconKC
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by DeaconKC » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:44 pm

I would try the springs first, but neither Numrich or Wolff has them. Here's a schematic and parts list, maybe this can show you something.....
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacture ... htm?page=1
"Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose."

cwo4uscgret
United States of America

#5 Post by cwo4uscgret » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:58 am

Hammy - I suggest you visit Coltforums.com; join up and ask your questions about the revolver. From all that I read that the Lightning chambered in .38 Colt (Black Powder only) and its bigger brother - Thunderer was Colt's first foray into the DA/SA arena and the DA set-up is, well delicate and prone to not working. I have a Lightning and two boxes of ammo; but haven't taken it to the range.

garra
United States of America

#6 Post by garra » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:14 am

Here is a source for the springs, best to get a complete set for $25.00. I have 2 of these a Lightning and Thunder. I have worked on both and got them working, had to make my own sear for the lightening model.

http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/cgi-bin ... nparts.cgi

DeaconKC
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by DeaconKC » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:00 pm

Nice work garra!
"Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose."

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Pistols”