Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Something I dug up

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Something I dug up

#1 Post by indy1919a4 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:52 pm

I do want to toss my hat in on found guns.. We find them over here from time to time

This is something we found with a metal detector on our property about 30 years ago.. There is nothing that you can read on the gun and it is about 31 or 36 cal.. There is a lot of rust.

It is 5 shot and at least one ball is missing. I do not see any caps on it.

The wood is about half gone and every time you handle it it does loose little bits of the guns surface rust

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

Re: Something I dug up

#2 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:08 pm

Pretty cool. All i have is a cw powder flask dug up in n.virginia and given to me when i was a kid. I do appriciate tgd gift though. :) i will have to dig it out soon.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#3 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:09 pm

I wonder what an electrolisis tank could do for this...
Management

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:24 pm

If the cylinder is unfluted it could well be a Colt Pocket Model of 1849. They were available with 3, 4, 5, & 6 inch barrels and 5-shot cylinders in either .31 or .36 calibers.

-Bob

Hammerdown
United States of America

#5 Post by Hammerdown » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:52 pm

Imagine the cussing at the end of a long days ride after you find out your pistol fell out of your holster or saddle bag. :o :doh:
Captain Obvious, you have never failed me!

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#6 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:23 pm

Hammerdown wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:52 pm
Imagine the cussing at the end of a long days ride after you find out your pistol fell out of your holster or saddle bag. :o :doh:
Or worse, friday night on the town. , one thing leads tk anitther and ypu slap leather over cards or a slpilled drink. Thats gonna be a bad five minutes as you bleed out on the floor.
Management

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#7 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 pm

You guys are being to dramatic. It was probably some poor guy who took two shots at a rabbit and missed, Yells "you piece of inaccurate crap, this is the last time" and then then threw the gun in the bushes.

Friedspam
United States of America

#8 Post by Friedspam » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:52 am

Indy, I don't buy your less dramatic rendition, I have missed plenty of times and never got the desire to throw my firearm in the weeds. That pistol would have represented months of income to obtain. After careful study of the photos, I contend that pistol was lost during a high speed getaway from a stagecoach holdup.

shoot4fun
United States of America

#9 Post by shoot4fun » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:53 am

Charles Lipscomb wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:09 pm
:handgestures-thumbupright:

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#10 Post by indy1919a4 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:13 am

Friedspam wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:52 am
Indy, I don't buy your less dramatic rendition, I have missed plenty of times and never got the desire to throw my firearm in the weeds. That pistol would have represented months of income to obtain. After careful study of the photos, I contend that pistol was lost during a high speed getaway from a stagecoach holdup.
Hey, I am sorry you all, I should be a little more open minded, I strived to minimize the story in the past, perhaps there is a happy medium...

Perhaps the Reno gang themselves.. Wish I had found it closer to Seymour Indiana, It may have had a chance then..

Now all seriousness aside, you are right about the firearm having value and being expensive in its day, no one would have tossed it... But lets go forward a few years, say its the 1890s, this gun has been Grandpas, tossed in a box for years.. a pain to load because its does not have cartridges.. SO at the time of the toss it could have not been looked at as costing money but as a old piece of crap.. Also let us not discount the shooter may have had a pint or 2 under his belt.

roverboy
United States of America

#11 Post by roverboy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:19 pm

shoot4fun wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:53 am
Charles Lipscomb wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:09 pm
:handgestures-thumbupright:
Yeah, that would be neat to see what it would look like with the rust removed. It would never look good but, would definitely make it a little more identifiable.

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#12 Post by vonalt » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:48 am

You mentioned Seymour IN, I use to live in Columbus, IN. If I recall didn't Morgan's Raid during the Civil War go through that area? Seymour and N. Vernon were in the raid's proximity. Could have been one of the raiders or one of the militiamen rushing to defend the Hoosier state that dropped it.

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#13 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:30 am

That would be the Great Battle of Corydon. Part of the Great 1863 General Morgan Raid. But they never got any further then Salem, which is souther then Seymour.. Corydon and Gettysburg represent the 2 great southern incursions into the North. But the Battle of Corydon only involved about 2500 people total.

After Indiana, Morgan turned East and went through the South of Ohio.

https://ironbrigader.com/2018/07/14/the ... n-indiana/

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Morgan%27s_Raid

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#14 Post by vonalt » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:19 pm

From looking at this map he wasn't too far from the Seymour area. I will give you he stayed south of the Seymour. But isn't N Vernon due east of Seymour? I need to get back down there. Been 30 years since I was last in that area. See if my old house is still standing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan%27 ... ganmap.jpg

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#15 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:15 pm

vonalt wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:19 pm
From looking at this map he wasn't too far from the Seymour area. I will give you he stayed south of the Seymour. But isn't N Vernon due east of Seymour? I need to get back down there. Been 30 years since I was last in that area. See if my old house is still standing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan%27 ... ganmap.jpg
North Vernon is still further away from Seymour by 20 some miles. Even though it is norther then Salem we are getting more easter, and more miles away. Besides even if they were in Seymour thats still 50 miles south of where the gun was found. Once Morgan hit Dupont Indiana, this is where the real carnage takes place and to this day folks in that area will tell you how the Yankee army followed Morgans line of retreat by following the trail of ham bones they left behind.

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Pistols”