http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:29 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I struck Gunbroker again! Now, maybe you're thinking my getting another M48 is no news but! I have got news for you! This is only my second. Ten years ago I got my wife to get me a rifle for our 13th anniversary. Must've been good luck because in these past 10 years I've "met" a lot of great folks, got to do some things I never dreamt of doing and we just celebrated our 23rd anniversary and here I am full circle with another M48 to celebrate. That first one turned out to be an M48bo, the unmarked Mausers and I was looking forward to getting one with a crest. Well, this one has it! In those intervening 10 years other rifles just seemed to jump ahead of another M48. Well, no more. I'm a sucker for tiger striped stocks and this has a pretty nice one.
As a rule, you don't find walnut stocks on M48s. The first 10,000 got them and that was supposed to be it. But, I have seen a lot of M48Bs that have shown up wearing walnut stocks and those have not been retreads.
Now a quick note for those unfamiliar with the vagaries of Yugoslav nomenclature. This rifle is marked M48A. BUT! It is in fact, an M48B. They changed the production line in 1956 adding a number more of stamped parts. A true M48"A" will be all milled except for the magazine floor plate which is stamped. The devil is in the major components. The M48 & M48A rifles trigger guard and mag well are machined from one piece of steel. But, beginning in 1956 with manufacture of the model B, it became a stamped and welded assembly. There are other stamped parts too but any of those can be found swapped around on other models but a stamped trigger guard and "M48A" on the receiver ring= M48B. Period.
You can spot that Posterior'y by a rib running around the outside edges of the trigger guard. (see pics).
That's what I have here. There are other stamped parts contributing to the whole however, the magazine follower and the H-band along with the floor plate.
As an aside, it also came with an M48bayo with matching scabbard.
Anyway, enough chatter. Here's the pics...
Attachment:
A 015.jpg
A 015.jpg [ 168.5 KiB | Viewed 349 times ]
Attachment:
A0 002.JPG
A0 002.JPG [ 36.71 KiB | Viewed 349 times ]
Attachment:
A 034.JPG
A 034.JPG [ 51.04 KiB | Viewed 349 times ]
Attachment:
A 040.JPG
A 040.JPG [ 85.66 KiB | Viewed 349 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The rib that runs around the sides of the trigger guard that denote M48-B- is clearly visible in this shot.
A 036.JPG
A 036.JPG [ 92.6 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:39 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

That is a very nice rifle Nuthernug... and happy 23rd to you and your wife. The wood on your rifle is rather striking. You can almost detect a 'tiger' striping going on, very nice. I wish my M48B had come with accessories, but I'll not complain much due to pricing. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:45 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Definitely a cut above any m48 stock I've ever seen. Nice score and good choice as a companion piece to your unmarked one. :thumb: