Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

X-Ring Centrifugal Bullet Trap

indy1919a4
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

X-Ring Centrifugal Bullet Trap

#1 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:12 pm

The X-Ring Centrifugal Bullet Trap was manufactured for target shooters in the 1930s and 1940s. The square funnel made of quarter-inch steel leading into a snail-shaped trap. The opening of the funnel is about 18" x 18" with a clamp to hold the target.

It weighs about 90 pounds and has "X - RING PRODUCTS CENTRIFUGAL BULLET TRAP PEKIN ILL PATS PEND." molded in the tail.

Now this is not the original stand for it so using an improvised stand.

Have been told that they were used by the Military but have not been able to verify that.

From what I have read this will eat about any pistol round out there (Do not know about or would try magnum Rounds) I tested it with 45 acp Jacketed rounds and 44-40 lead rounds. No problem with either. The bullets were beyond destroyed.

Have heard it will handle 30-06 rounds shot at 200+ yards :( (But I would not do that)

The Jacketed rounds Sometimes had the Jackets completely peeled away.
trap1.jpg
rimg (2).jpg
rimg (3).jpg
ring5.jpg
On a local Indianapolis Indiana Interest Note, The old shipping tag stated it was shipped to the old Vonnegut Hardware store in Indianapolis..
Attachments
rimg (4).jpg

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: X-Ring Centrifugal Bullet Trap

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:31 pm

The bullet trap is made for Pistol rounds, not rifle rounds. Rifle rounds will destroy the trap.
I used these traps in the 60's where most of the rounds fired by my squad were cast lead. Back then .38 Special was still very popular for target shooting. So was .32 Long and .45 ACP.
The trap is well made and very collectable. Finding one that has not been destroyed by rifle fire is rare. If I owned it I would not shoot magnum loads at the trap,it was not made for them.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “Military Pistols General Topics”