Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Browning has ceased producing Hi Power

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Browning has ceased producing Hi Power

#1 Post by vonalt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:34 am

Sorry to say Browning has ceased production of the Hi Power pistol, probably one of the best known and loved pistols of the 20th Century. I am just glad I own one and have been able to shoot it on a regular basis. Think I may turn it into a safe queen and take mine out only on special occasions.

http://www.browning.com/products/firear ... ction.html

They can only go up in value from here on out.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

Re: Browning has ceased producing Hi Power

#2 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Shame, I wonder if all the copies undercut them to the bone? I'm lucky to have one made in Belgium myself and found it a truly iconic piece to have and shoot. Finished steel is in a class all by itself as well as one of the last designs by John Moses himself. Leave your plastic at the door and let the classic speak for itself.

Best Regards,

Mark

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by RWS » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:39 am

As much as I like them (I have 3, four if you count an Inglis as a GP35), they are an obsolete design now. Younger shooters don't have the same nostalgia for them as those of us that grew up with them as the premier 9mm pistol. Heck, a couple of weeks ago I even heard a young guy refer to the Beretta 92 as an obsolete design because of the DA first shot/SA subsequent shots feature that is considered outdated in the New Glock Order.

I'll keep my Brownings because I like shooting them at the range, but I don't think I would ever again use one as a CCW. Too big and heavy in an era when you can get Kahr PM-9's and Ruger LC-9's, at least in my humble opinion. Also, the latter shoot hollow-points reliably, the Brownings not so much.

I think there are still a few dealers that have High Powers in stock so if anyone wants a new one they would be well-advised to move quickly.

-Bob

spentprimer
United States of America

#4 Post by spentprimer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 am

A sad day in my opinion. It is one of the truly great designs by the greatest firearms designer and inventor of virtually all the types operating principles known to man. It makes me wonder if they have reworked it to have a new polymer framed version of the High Power?
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok - Matthew Quigley

rob
United States of America

#5 Post by rob » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:33 am

I have always wanted to get one I guess I will have to start checking around to see if I can find one

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#6 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:35 pm

Most every gun I have is obsolete and I love it. They also all have an incredible amount of character no Glock ever will.

Best Regards,

Mark

Enfield Shooter
United States of America

#7 Post by Enfield Shooter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 pm

Now that I have learned my Hi Power likes 115 grain bullets instead of the 147 grain bullets that I tried to feed it. It is my best shooting 9mm by far and while I wouldn't carry it, I have no problem keeping it as a home defense pistol.
In any event, Citizen Swihart, how can a John Moses browning design be obsolete? They are merely under appreciated in favor of tupperware. OK, I'm prejudiced in favor of any Browning design.
David
"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

dmg4
United States of America

#8 Post by dmg4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:47 am

Got one years ago, and love it.

If anyone out there has one of these obsolete old unrelaible outdated pieces of nostalgia scrap and needs to get rid of it and buy something light and fluffy, I'll take it off your hands and give it a good home.

Don't be surprised if Browning starts limited production "classic" reissues every few years to meet pent-up demand. They stopped making the t-bolt .22 for a few years, and now it's back in production and selling.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

shoot4fun
United States of America

#9 Post by shoot4fun » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:26 am

dmg4 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:47 am

Don't be surprised if Browning starts limited production "classic" reissues every few years to meet pent-up demand. They stopped making the t-bolt .22 for a few years, and now it's back in production and selling.
and/or partners up with Talo or some other group for extra limited edition engraved versions

ammolab
United States of America

#10 Post by ammolab » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:34 am

If policy at Browning is the same as it was a few years back...they will not provide service OR parts for models out of production. My B80 shotgun has been discontinued for years but Browning did steer me to the business they sold all their parts to upon the discontinuation of this model.

There should be plenty of Hi Power parts to go around for generations.

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#11 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:09 pm

Sad news but I guess the writing had been on the wall for some time. The expense of producing them priced them out of the market for folks looking for a new-production handgun, and the old-school single-action fan-base isn't getting any bigger in the age of affordable striker-fired polymer self-defense guns. I guess the prices on the older used ones, which honestly were the only ones I was ever interested in, will just get that much higher. Lucky for me, I picked up a T-series for Christmas this year. I guess like a lot of guys here, I grew up in an era when the Hi-Power was the preeminent "professional's" handgun. I could never really afford one until lucking into this one. For nostalgia's sake, I have paired it with a vintage Bianchi holster. Here it is...
Attachments
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0742.JPG

steamer
United States of America

#12 Post by steamer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:58 pm

@PennsylvaniaRifleman Beautiful pistol - I'd love to find one similar to yours someday - I guess the prices will now go higher than ever.

arky65
United States of America

#13 Post by arky65 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:03 am

I too wish I purchased one. I always meant too. But being a rifle loony, I always had a rifle project that took $$$ priority.

Enfield Shooter
United States of America

#14 Post by Enfield Shooter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:58 pm

It's a shame they quit making the Hi Power. I took mine to the range today and did very well for a change. Then again the on site gunsmith did point me in the right direction for bullet weight. I'm now using 115 grain instead of 148. Big difference in accuracy! Last 5 shots created 2 large holes in the target.
David
"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

Return to “Military Pistols General Topics”