http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M1917 Stock Help!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:44 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I am in the process of rebuilding a M1917 from a stripped reciever and have come to the biggest road block. I didnt realize how hard it would be to source a stock set for this rifle without breaking the bank. I see boyds no longer makes replacement furniture, as much as I'd prefer original furniture I'll take anything at this point. Can anyone point me in the right direction or send me some leads on locating a stock set for this rifle? The reciever and 90% of parts are Winchester but again, not picky at this point. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: M1917 Stock Help!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:39 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Ouch, is all I can say.
I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago. I picked up a really nice Eddystone with a cut stock, thinking that it would be an easy restoration.
Wrong! :o
I finally found my replacement stock on ebay....there's plenty of them there, but you will pay.
If all you need is any old stock just to shoot it, I'd haunt gunshows or old gunshops in your area. Lots of these were sporterized back in the day, you may be able to find a sporter stock for not too much money.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:29 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I currrently have a $20 cut down sporter stock, so I can shoot and enjoy the rifle now. Just focused on restoring her to former glory at this point.

Yeah I also assumed, "how hard is it to find a stock" having restored an 03A3 in the past, the stock was least of my worries. Little did I know lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:39 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I don't know what prices you've been seeing but I just sold a 1917 stock set with metal and it went for just under $400 to give you an idea of what your looking at.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:37 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Ouch, yeah I was hoping anywhere between $200 and $300.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:06 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Liberty Tree Collectors advertised the hand guards and bands for these, but anybodies guess whether they have them in stock.
other sites advertise full stock sets but show them to be out of stock.

Perhaps the CMP can be of help.

Drill rifle stocks for these often have chunks cut out to expose drilled through chambers, but that can be repaired easily enough.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Id have no problem doing repairs to a drill rifle stock, if you have any leads on one id be interested for sure.