Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Burners fault (now I want a new FAL)

Kevinofborg
United States of America

Burners fault (now I want a new FAL)

#1 Post by Kevinofborg » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Burner had to post about the G1 and Tommie getting one so now the bug is in me.

First off I have a FAL (I think it is class as a FALO) that I bought from a friend when he was without a job. I have never shot it. The "plan" was that he and I would go shot it but in three years we have not done it.

Well back to Burner. He started those threads and boy those "other" FALs look a lot smaller and lighter then mine but I do not know a lot about FALs so I bought a book:

The FN FAL/SLR Owners Guide by Robert B. Cashner

Looks like a good book and seems to be showing me what I was looking for.

I am thinking about getting a Austrian StG 58 (looking) (already built or have someone build from a parts kit).

Well I say this on Gunbroker but did not bid as I still fell I do not know really what I am looking at.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/661769806

Good deal Price? what was in the kit? Red Flags?

Thanks,
Kevin
Attachments
IMGP5912.JPG
IMGP5911.JPG
IMGP5910.JPG
IMGP5909.JPG
IMGP5908.JPG
Last edited by Kevinofborg on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinofborg
TX

Kevinofborg
United States of America

Re: Burns fault (now I want a new FAL)

#2 Post by Kevinofborg » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:44 pm

few more pictures
pix897519120.jpg
Attachments
IMGP5914.JPG
IMGP5913.JPG
kevinofborg
TX

S.B.
United States of America

Re: Burners fault (now I want a new FAL)

#3 Post by S.B. » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 am

Yours top pictures appear to be a heavy barrel Israeli so, would be heavier than the light barreled version of the FAL? Is the second set of pictures(plastic stock, STG flash hider) one your thinking of buying?
Steve

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#4 Post by Tommy Atkins » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Please allow me to facilitate your descent to the dark side.
(insert evile laugh here)
DSCF8131.JPG
I'm afraid I cant see the page from your link, so this may be off base.
Of all the various versions of the metric FAL the StG58 is reckoned to be one of the best, a true Imbel complete rifle would be the other No1 contender. This is the latter.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:02 pm

You'd be hard pressed to beat the STG-58 in quality and accuracy. I have a few FAL's and the STG-58 is the best
Stay away from the L1A1 or the like. ( inch)
Stick with the metric rifles.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#6 Post by Tommy Atkins » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:37 pm

YES!
When they brought out the Ess Ell Arr s I was massively unimpressed. We had classes of stoppage.
The drill, if you had a stoppage on the range (which was as far as we'd gotten with them) was :
Lay the weapon down on its left hand side side with the muzzle downrange.
Raise he right hand.
Call "Number # stoppage on point #"
& wait.
#1 was failure to feed
#2 was failure to eject.
#3 was failure to feed.
#4 was a "Right bastard"!
We had a LOT of No4s. About every 3rd round.
What was a #4 stoppage?
Jammed fired case, wedged over a live round jammed between exiting the magazine & entering the breech.
What was the Emergency Action drill?
1: Beat the hell out of the bottom rear of the magazine till it fell out, while pressing firmly on the magazine release lever.
2: Rotate the weapon 90 degrees to the right to position the ejection pot downwards.
3: Pound the hell out of the (folding) charging handle to clear the jammed case still stuck in the receiver.
(it folded up again every time so you had to unfold it.)
4: Once cleared cycle the action "fully & smartly" with the charging handle (see step 3 note).
5: insert a new magazine.
6: Cycle the charging handle to load the weapon by pulling all the way to the rear & releasing it.
7: Apply the safety.
8: Resume firing position.
9: Carry on.
I could out shoot the bloody things with a Bolt Action Lee Enfield.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:00 am

Years ago I was fortune enough to get an unissued L1A1 parts kit.( strange that the semi-auto receiver could not be sold to us?) And put the kit on a purpose built Inch receiver that was dear to buy.
I tried every maker,surplus,commercial,my accurate hand loads,etc to see if the rifle would shoot.
I was so disappointed in the accuracy of the rifle. Yes, I did use the proper crush-washer and timed the barrel several times trying different torque specifications to no avail. I tried every trick in the book, no change in accuracy. The rifle goes bang every time, but you'd be better off throwing rocks at any target farther than 200 yards.
Any of the Metric rifles will shoot rings around the L1A1.
Years later I got another L1A1 in a trade.It is a "post" assault gun ban rifle where the evil flash hider/bayonet lug has been cut off of the barrel. It too gathers dust as it will not shoot well at all. They totally FUBAR'd the barrel nodes. It was if they drove nails into a flat tire.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#8 Post by Tommy Atkins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:38 pm

I once saw a group of 2 squaddies "up in the hills" of the beacons. We used to hike, camp & cave in the area so we got into some pretty remote areas.
It wasn't unusual to bump into various trainee groups. Mostly they were fine but the instructors were very hot on not "helping" at all as it would disqualify the candidate from selection immediately if we did.
The various military units did live fire up there too as well as blank firing exercises so the sound of shots wasn't unusual. We heard some that day but just "kept an eye open", it was actually helpful if we fired at something because the locals just shrugged & carried on as "the army messing about with guns up on the Moel" wasn't a concern to them.
:o
These two were highly PO'd that wed tripped over whatever the heck they were setting up.
One had a No4 Mk1(t), the other an L1A1 Ess Ell Arr, but fitted with a biggish scope (not a SUIT, or OEG), a big modern, for the 1970's, high powered unit.
Interestingly his muzzle had no flash suppressor nor did it seem to be threaded for one. They were NOT in a frame of mind to discuss anything & I got the distinct impression we stumbled into a #1 & a #2 prepping a long range shot.
It was the only Brit L1A1 I ever saw configured like that.

Return to “FN FAL/L1A1/STG58”