http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:11 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I guess matching bolt ones are a bit rare. Bolt, receiver, barrel, rear sight all matching. I believe this one where the bore and chamber were enlarged for 8mm. Everything also seems to be marked with a Turkish crescent. Number on the side translates to 1895 per turkishmauser.com I paid too much even with the matching bolt, but what the heck. The dealer guy had literally a pile of filth encrusted turkish mausers in various states of needing repair and a pile of Chinese GEW 88's which looked pretty scary. Said he found them in a barn in Pennsylvania. here is how it looks cleaned up:

Attachments:
DSCF1482.JPG
DSCF1482.JPG [ 125.2 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]
DSCF1487.JPG
DSCF1487.JPG [ 131.24 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]
DSCF1490.JPG
DSCF1490.JPG [ 188.43 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:32 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Nice save. Nice rifle.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nothing better than a matching Turk. Did it have a cleaning rod or did you add one? And you only picked up one :doh: :doh:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:48 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

It came with a cleaning rod. i didn't have time to dig thru the whole pile. Must have been about 30 or 40 of them and another 20 or so of the chinese GEW 88's. They were all rough shape. Had a turk bayonet laying around that fits very well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The rifle should have a " new made " Czech 8mm barrel on it . The Turk serial number on the rear top of the receiver was done when it was rebarreled . The original 7.65 barrels had a .313 - .314 groove , no way to rebore that to a .311 land size found on 7.92 barrels . The Turks bought a lot of 8mm 93 barrels from the Czechs , they had so many they even used them on Gew-88 they rebarreled .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:47 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

The barrel did say 7.91 on it, so it could be a re-barrel as you say, but from turkmauser.com:

"Obviously, a new barrel in 8mm Mauser was added or the old barrel bored out for 8mm. The receiver face was cut to enable the longer bullet to be loaded into the magazine. "

The bore has a fair amount of wear to it, but good rifling. It chambers and ejects an 8mm dud no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:48 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Linky:

http://www.turkmauser.com/93/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:32 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The person who wrote that did not have a selection of real rifles to look at [ 7.65's on 8mm's ], and measure , nor any original ammo . Since he did not know any of the real sizes of any thing , he just figured you could bore one out . Your rifle is marked as a real small .311 bore [ .3114 ] . How do you bore a .314 out to .311 ? You can't , and the proof is in all the actual rifles and ammo involved . Your rifle just proved him wrong .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Dynachrome, Very nice! Thanks for posting and updates. Have you been able to visit a range?

I too looked through the dealer's piles and thought prices were a bit large but - you do not often find a '93 or many of the Chinese 88s. No Turk 93s showed up in my recent search of gun sales web sites.

That the dealer provided pairs of gloves to use in searching through the several piles was generous and considerate. Were you able to examine bore conditions on any of the other '93 inventory? Curious to know if the Chinese 88s also had bolt heads.

- D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

No range time yet. I be lazy in winter. I did not look very close at the Chinese stuff. The one I bought was about the 2nd or third one I pulled out. Butt plates, cleaning rods missing on several.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:08 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Another pic with a turk bayonet I had laying around:

Attachments:
IMG_20161206_172024.jpg
IMG_20161206_172024.jpg [ 28.91 KiB | Viewed 206 times ]