Matching Numbers on French MAS Rifles

Les Fusils Semi-Automatiques Militaires Français, Mle.1917,MAS 44, 49, 49/56 et FAMAS
capt14k

Matching Numbers on French MAS Rifles

Post by capt14k »

I moved the matching numbers for MAS bolt rifles to the proper section.

Matching numbers for MAS Semi Auto Rifles as provided by Kelt below.

MAS-44 & MAS-49

1) Receiver
2) Bolt
3) Butt Stock
4) Fore Stock
5) Trigger Guard
6) Cover

Post Mid 1960's Refurb will not have numbered Fore Stock.

I will try and update with reference pics from my examples.

MAS-49/56

1) Receiver
2) Bolt
3) Cover

Pics of serial numbers on my MAS-49/56 Non-Refurb Rifle

Last edited by capt14k on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:16 am, edited 9 times in total.
kelt
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Matching Numbers on French MAS Rifles

Post by kelt »

On the semi auto rifles MAS 44 and 49 the numbered parts were the receiver, the stock, the trigger guard, the bolt cover plate and the bolt, all other parts deemed interchangeable without loss of efficiency did not get marked, on the MAS 49-56 the stock and trigger guard markings were left out, the refurbished Mas 44 and 49 may also miss some markings.

An exception for the MAS 49-56 MSE, each trigger block being fine tuned individually, the trigger guard had a specific marking including the SN.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

kelt wrote:On the semi auto rifles MAS 44 and 49 the numbered parts were the receiver, the stock, the trigger guard, the bolt cover plate and the bolt, all other parts deemed interchangeable without loss of efficiency did not get marked, on the MAS 49-56 the stock and trigger guard markings were left out, the refurbished Mas 44 and 49 may also miss some markings.

An exception for the MAS 49-56 MSE, each trigger block being fine tuned individually, the trigger guard had a specific marking including the SN.
Is both the fore and butt stock numbered on the 44 and 49? Are the only matching parts on the MAS-45 the receiver and the bolt?

Are same parts serialized on 36 and 36/51 as I posted?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
kelt
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kelt »

capt14k wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:58 pm
kelt wrote:On the semi auto rifles MAS 44 and 49 the numbered parts were the receiver, the stock, the trigger guard, the bolt cover plate and the bolt, all other parts deemed interchangeable without loss of efficiency did not get marked, on the MAS 49-56 the stock and trigger guard markings were left out, the refurbished Mas 44 and 49 may also miss some markings.

Is both the fore and butt stock numbered on the 44 and 49? Are the only matching parts on the MAS-45 the receiver and the bolt?

Out of the factory the forend of the Mas 44 and 49 were numbered, if refurbished after the mid 60s,the replacement parts were not numbered.

Informations on the Mas 36 family are best posted on the bolt action rifles section.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

kelt wrote:
capt14k wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Out of the factory the forend of the Mas 44 and 49 were numbered, if refurbished after the mid 60s,the replacement parts were not numbered.

Informations on the Mas 36 family are best posted on the bolt action rifles section.
Thank You,
I didn't realize they split the French Section into Bolt Action and Semi-Auto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

bump

For those that may not remember on the bolt action Mas 36 matching numbers are found on/at seven locations:
1) Bottom of the wood butt stock on the left side
2) Bottom center of the wood forearm
3) The left side of the Receiver, in the central area below "MAS MLE 1936"
4) Bolt stem/handle
5) Magazine floor plate
6) Trigger guard
7) Bayonet on the bottom round section visible when on rifle or marked on the end tip with two last digits of the SN

Now refurbished rifles may have mismatched numbers, no numbers, or generally just have matching numbers on the receiver and bolt. The numbers on the stock were sanded away during refinish or replacement and like wise, new metal parts may not have been renumbered during replacement.

On a Mas 36-51
1) Bottom of the wood butt stock on the left side
2) Bottom center of the wood forearm
3) The left side of the Receiver on the rear/right side flat edge -vertical placement, not central area below "MAS MLE 1936-51"
4) Bolt stem/handle
5) Magazine floor plate
6) Some have and others have No serial number is on the trigger guard ?
7) Bayonet marked on the end with two last digits of the SN
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

BAN NEWS .308
Mas 49-56 left side view of the receiver with two rebuild marks indicated by the, P date in a box. 1983 and 1987
Master Serial Number is vertical on the left edge of the receiver on the Mas 49-56

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 2.49.46 PM.png
Note this is a Century monkey conversion .308 Mas 49-5 see https://www.gunboards.com/threads/how-t ... -56.97271/

Century Arms Inc. converted a number of Mas 49/56's and these are problematic to say it nicely. There reliability is a hit or miss in terms of feeding, jams and miss fires. Actual French conversions to 7.62 are very rare in the US.
Potential Problem Areas

The vast majority of the problems associated with MAS 49/56 arise from bubba’ed .308 conversions. Century Arms converted a bunch of imported MAS 49/56s to .308. Win. in the 1990s and the results were pathetic. Some work, some don’t. Bottom line: stay away from CAI conversions unless you can verify that they are “shooters.”

Another common source of problems stems from the use of commercial 7.5x54mm ammunition made in countries other than France. These rounds have been known to produce burst fire (two or three rounds at a time) because of more sensitive primers. For a while, it was possible to buy a commercial titanium firing pin to replace the heavy steel factory firing pin. These commercial pins were much lighter and generally cured the problem of burst fire on these weapons when using soft primers. Unfortunately, the supply of these titanium pins has dried up.

According to internet lore, it is also possible to prevent the “slamfire” issue by shortening the firing pin by approximately 0.5 mm (from 1.3mm down to 0.8mm), or by modifying the bolt to accommodate a firing pin return spring. I have no experience with these modifications, and therefore cannot endorse them. Having said that, I fired 30 rounds of Prvi-Partisan through the test gun without incident (I did wait until everybody else had left the range to try them out – if the rifle was going to go cyclic on me, I didn’t want to have anyone else there to witness it!).

Finally, excess grease or oil can interfere with the free-floating firing pin. Like an SKS, the firing pin channel should also be kept free of cosmoline, sticky grease or oily residues so that it can move about freely.
source: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... 1949-1956/
Gun Review: MAS-49/56 Fusil Semi-Automatique (Modèle 1949 – 1956)
BY JOE GRINE |AUG 30, 2011
--------------------------------------------------
Here is a normal 7.5 French Mas receiver, Left side, no rebuild marks.
Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 8.05.16 PM.png
Last edited by 72 usmc on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I picked up another MAS49/56 recently at a very fair price. Like my original MAS49/56 it also does not have a refurb mark, but it looks hardly used. Whereas my other MAS49/56 was well used. Did it just miss being refurb marked?ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Return to “French Rifles”