http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:30 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

professrh wrote:
glassparman wrote:
Did some research a while back about this ammo. The Swedes were big on reloading their ammo especially for training. You will find a HUGE array of headstamps in this stuff. I personally have pulled down a batch of 4000 rounds and it was a headstamp collectors dream! The brass is very good and not factory rejects or seconds as some would have you think.

The powder is good for very light gallery loads and such. It is a cut-flake powder . . . use it but work up loads carefully!

You wouldn't have, by chance, any experience using this powder with cast boolits in the 8x56R Steyr m95?

I do not but I did try to work up a load for .45 auto just out of curiosity. I worked up slowly and by the time I got to 750fps, it was almost a compressed load. I went just a half grain more and the velocity dropped suddenly and I had unburnt powder all over my arms. I think that was at 10.5 grains. It might work for a slower burn hand gun cartridge.

I have heard of guys, on this forum and others, say that it works great for their gallery loads but I have not tried it on any rifle calibers. BE VERY CAREFULL AND WORK UP LOADS SLOWLY!

Search the net for Gevärsexerciskrut 1, or "Rifle Practice Powder 1" - many around the net say it is too fast for anything we would want to do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Bullet shredding BFA, never heard of that, very interesting. Anyone got a pic? I thought these were more for short range training but-- not an expert on this stuff.

I'd be super careful using that powder for anything. I would think for that application the specs might be wide open and even to the point of different powders being used. Especially with the many headstamps. You probably did this but at the very least I would collect it all and make sure it's well mixed into one homogenous batch of.... whatever it is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:30 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Here's a couple of shots of the BFA I got with my order from Samco:
Attachment:
BFA.2.jpg
BFA.2.jpg [ 301.32 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]

Attachment:
BFA.1.jpg
BFA.1.jpg [ 364.42 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]

I think it's pretty cool . . . but I've never used it, nor can I imagine that I would.

--Prof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:34 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

And thanks, gents, for the input on the pulled powder.

Trust me, I'm a pretty cautious fellow; I wouldn't consider using this powder without the guidance of a trailblazer, been-there-done-that reloader. On the other hand, we're doing a bit of landscaping which has necessitated tearing some holes in the lawn. I may put some of this to work restoring the lost grass. . . .

--Prof

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I jumped on the 4800 rounds (even with the silly high shipping costs) since I have quite few swede rifles now. I already had a few thousand rounds of that ammo from SAMCO.

Now I just need to wait till powder and boolits go on sale.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I've read quite a few threads about this ammo on SRF and other forums. I do remember someone using this powder for .38 Special target loads. Many more have used it for fertilizer. I have thought about working up some .38 Special loads with the powder from these cartridges, and probably will at some point since .38 Special is one of my favorite plinking rounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:39 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Just got back from the Southwest Cartridge collectors show in Prescott . . . made a stop at J&G. They truly did have 4800 rounds of this stuff on sale for $96!!

Glad I drove so I saved on shipping. Now is the loooooong process of pulling it all down :/

Already found one headstamp I did not have.

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

A friend went down to J&G sales and came back with a truck load of the ammo. Several of the guys that shoot the Swedes in the monthly vintage matches pitched in and split the cost of gas and taxes. A case is actually 800 rounds broke down into 20 round boxes with 10 of the boxes in a plastic sleeve. The 4800 rounds is made up of 6 cases. I would venture to say he came back with 80,000 rounds or 80 cases. I got the 6 cases (4800 rounds).

Some of the brass is corroded or stained. The corrosion is coming from the cardboard box (20 rounds) as only the brass that is touching the cardboard is affected. I cleaned the brass with corncob media in a vibrating tumbler with the wood bullets still seated. The wood bullets pull out easy with pliers, sticking the case in a shell holder and lifting the press then pulling. I haven't had a bullet break or failure to remove in over 600 rounds so far. No failure or hang fires; every primer has worked.

Loading with 140 grain Nosler CC, 41.5 grains of IMR 4350. Good accuracy.

I figure I will save the brass and reload it if I run into some Berdan primers or at the very least recycle the brass and get most of my money back.

I am saving the powder for possible use in the future. A couple guys are testing the powder in pistol rounds. I haven't had a chance to ask them about their progress yet.

I fired several of the blanks from distances at cardboard. From 3 feet there were a few splinters in the cardboard but nothing large. 6 feet away, nothing. From 6 inches away it blows a 3" hole in the cardboard.

Last edited by lemmonhead on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Im not sure about it being corrosion. If it was, it would be blackish but it has a red to brown color. It is almost like some coating but otherwise it does not seem to affect anything.

As for the powder, some say it has the burn rate of Unique but i was not able to get those results.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:53 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

To each his own, but in the absence of a powder manufacturers recommendation, or pressure data from a reloading manual, I don't need to use the powder from the wooden bullet ammo for anything except my garden. I've saved enough on getting a source of very inexpensive reloadable (1-time) brass. I can afford to dump the powder. Tomatoes seem to like it. Lots of organic nitrogen in there.

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I experimented with cut sections of wooden dowels once for blanks. Never saw any holes in paper with them. I'm guessing the high-pressure gas penetrates into the wood and blows it apart once it leaves the barrel. I experimented for a 6.5mm cartridge with .25 dowels wrapped with tape, the tape being folded over to close off the base. Those shot straight (and held together) for around 60 yards, then turned sideways. Some travelled nearly 100 yards.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:04 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Yup, absolutely ridiculous shipping. $105 to Oregon. I thought about it too, for the brass, but I'll just buy a box of 50 Hornady brass for $40, which last quite a while. I just got my Swede, and haven't even shot it yet!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Why not buy some PPU at around $15-17 a box of 20, shoot them and save the brass? Darn good brass and the PPU is no slouch either. Double your pleasure, double your fun Sinner. :mrgreen:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-part ... ammo-pp621

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/12567

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Agree with Sheepdawg...the PPU is great and I do that also some for my Mausers then reload it. If you don't reload, save the brass still and sell it here.

I like the wooden bullet primed brass for my Ljungman...no need to hunt hard for the brass afterwards!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Stewbaby wrote:
Agree with Sheepdawg...the PPU is great and I do that also some for my Mausers then reload it. If you don't reload, save the brass still and sell it here.

I like the wooden bullet primed brass for my Ljungman...no need to hunt hard for the brass afterwards!

Or you could collect it and sell it here, maybe? You know, for cheap+shipping? For those berdan reloaders among us who don't want to pay J&G's exorbitant shipping rates for Swedish blank ammo. . . .