Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

M14/M1A or M16A1 clone?

Mtnemt
United States of America

M14/M1A or M16A1 clone?

#1 Post by Mtnemt » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:32 pm

I’m about to build my next rifle, and I’m torn between a M1A/M14 and an M16A1 clone...I’ll be buying part as funds allow, I know the M1A/M14 will cost more to build.

I would like y’alls opinion on which one I should build next

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: M14/M1A or M16A1 clone?

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:46 pm

The M1A will always be worth more in the future. It has a much better range. Ammo is more expensive to buy if you do not reload.
AR15 has tons of goodies to "Mall Ninja" the rifle/carbine. Ammo is cheaper to buy.
If you only shoot 100 yards,the M1A would never shoot at its potential. If you shoot long range it will be in it's prime.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

indy1919a4
United States of America

#3 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:56 pm

Lets be honest here the M1A will just look better

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:32 am

To me the biggest issue with a M1A build is finding a receiver that has been machined to spec. Then there's the secondary issue of finding new old USGI parts, and the associated extreme costs with procurement of those parts. M14 bolts start at about $250. Trigger groups are over $200. NOS barrels, even SACO's, are $300+, etc. I mean, it certainly can be done but it's hard these days to come out for under $3,000 without some serious compromising.

Since LRB has gone under, Smith Enterprises might be your best starting point. $1,700 will get you a barrelled receiver with a stripped USGI bolt headspaced to the receiver. The remainder of the rifle can be done by any good amateur gunsmith.
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.01.html

On the flip side, you can build a nice AR to your liking for $500, or an AR-10 for about $1,000. If you're flush with money and the fit is upon you to build a M1A then by all means go for it.

I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer here; I love the M14-style platform and currently have 2 of them. I'm just saying that building one today is much more difficult than it was just a few years ago and that you need to go in with both eyes wide open on the parts procurement end and be pretty inured to sticker shock. Just my 2 cents worth...

-Bob

Mtnemt
United States of America

#5 Post by Mtnemt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:50 pm

RWS wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:32 am
To me the biggest issue with a M1A build is finding a receiver that has been machined to spec. Then there's the secondary issue of finding new old USGI parts, and the associated extreme costs with procurement of those parts. M14 bolts start at about $250. Trigger groups are over $200. NOS barrels, even SACO's, are $300+, etc. I mean, it certainly can be done but it's hard these days to come out for under $3,000 without some serious compromising.

Since LRB has gone under, Smith Enterprises might be your best starting point. $1,700 will get you a barrelled receiver with a stripped USGI bolt headspaced to the receiver. The remainder of the rifle can be done by any good amateur gunsmith.
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.01.html

On the flip side, you can build a nice AR to your liking for $500, or an AR-10 for about $1,000. If you're flush with money and the fit is upon you to build a M1A then by all means go for it.

I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer here; I love the M14-style platform and currently have 2 of them. I'm just saying that building one today is much more difficult than it was just a few years ago and that you need to go in with both eyes wide open on the parts procurement end and be pretty inured to sticker shock. Just my 2 cents worth...

-Bob
Yeah the price on the M14 platform is really opening my eyes to the A1 clone...I know the original colt parts are high but still know near the price of an M14...

Return to “US Rifles”