Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

My "new" Old Swedish Ljungman Ag m/42B, back after 25 year absence.

KneverKnew
United States of America

My "new" Old Swedish Ljungman Ag m/42B, back after 25 year absence.

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Twenty five years ago I sold my Swedish Ljungman Ag m/42B to a good friend. Years later he sold it to another good friend who held onto it until now. I asked him whatever happened to "MY" Ljungman and he said he had it in storage. As it turned out, he was in town this Independence Day weekend and had cleaned out his storage unit to take his stuff to his new home in Nevada. After an hour or two digging through gun safes in the back of a U-Haul truck, he managed to find my long lost rifle. He had said he would sell it back to me for $650, which was a bit more than I bought it for over 25 years ago, but I jumped at the opportunity to get it back, now that I had a better appreciating for such an interesting firearm. After pulling it out of the safe and seeing the bit of surface rust that had formed in small places he felt bad for me and dropped the price down to $600. Of course since we are such good friends we agreed on the "Good Buddy Payment Plan" of $100 a month for the next six months. Even my fruggle wife couldn't argue "too much" with that. :)
After looking down the bore I got worried since it was SOOOooo dark and rusty looking, but after getting it home and doing a quick cleaning with brass brush, patch and bore snake, the bore was back to being like "new" when I got it so many years ago. I guess my friend I sold it too had shot it and put it away without cleaning, since my second friend says he never shot it and I know I would have cleaned any gun I fired and was selling to a friend, since I am a former Marine. So I suppose it was mostly carbon and residue in the bore making it dark. I guess the proof will be in the shooting though.
Below are pictures with proof marks and various numbers. Anyone with knowledge they'd like to share about the history or value of the rifle, please feel free to share. All numbered parts match. The rifle still had the original leather sling it had years ago. The stock isn't numbered so I guess if I wanted to sell it later and needed an unmolested stock (I originally sanded the sharp edges of the finger grooves and refinished the stock) I could obtain one and swap them out. Even with my refinish job, the stock still looks pretty good. I do plan, however, to re-refinish the stock as I recently did to my Swedish Mauser. I will strip the Polyurethane from the wood with minimal sanding/scraping and then stain the beech wood a similar walnut color as it is now. Then I will hand rub several coats of Linseed Oil into the wood so it should end up looking close to an original finish as possible.

The "B" was obviously added when the rifle was reworked in the the Model B, between 1953 and 1956.

Anybody know what the "SS" mark means?

Can't these muzzle caps be removed and replaced?

My rifles rear sights were obviously calibrated for the older round nose m/94 ammunition as you can see the round nose imaged next to the range window on the sight. Also the round nose bullet sights only went up to 600 meters. The newer pointed M41 bullet sights were calibrated for 800m.
Note the aiming point adjustment for the newer M41 spitzer ammo. Torped Overslag "1" Stad.
You can also see on the disk that the barrel measured 6.51mm grooves and 6.48mm lands. Bore condition was 1. I assume these were correct at the last rebarreling.

Overall I am very happy to have my old rifle back. I hope to hang onto it for many years to come. But I'd like to hear any opinions or observations anyone has on this old rifle. If something can be improved using original parts please let me know how. Based on the photos and information provided, I'd love to know what our current markets value would be for this rifle. Thanks for any help and all the comments.

retread12345678
United States of America

Re: My "new" Old Swedish Ljungman Ag m/42B, back after 25 year absence.

#2 Post by retread12345678 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:16 pm

Looks like a very nice complete rifle The price was right and no ugly surprises

Woody_be
Belgium

#3 Post by Woody_be » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:06 pm

The ss stamp is of the rifle inspector Sten Stenmo. The c. Ö mark i cant be sure but my gues is it is two sevice markings. One of Carl gustav plant and the other of the army refitting plant in östersund.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

KneverKnew
United States of America

#4 Post by KneverKnew » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:39 pm

I am very grateful for this kind of information. It helps get a better image of this rifles history. Thanks. Please keep the comments coming.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#5 Post by KneverKnew » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:25 pm

I took a closer look down the barrel from the muzzle end using magnification head piece. The rifling looks pretty crisp and shiny but there are definite small rust pitting in the grooves, at least near the muzzle end where my head piece focuses. I won't be able to see any further in without a bore scope which I don't have. I think it's safe to assume it will be similar on down inside. Still, it may shoot just fine. Guess I need to get it to the range asap and find out.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#6 Post by KneverKnew » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:40 am

I've been looking through Springfield Sporters offerings for the Ljungman. I have a couple questions about some replacement parts, and whether I should even bother, or would replacing the parts detract from the value/ desirability of my rifle in the long run.

You can see here that the Guard screw washers are quite ratty looking. Should I replace them...as well as the three guard screws?

I can replace my "in the white" rusty muzzle cap with a new "blued" one. Should I bother? Not sure the blued cap won't stand out on the end of the older barrel?

KneverKnew
United States of America

#7 Post by KneverKnew » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:31 pm

As was mentioned before, and can been in the pictures, I refinished my stock years ago. It looks to be a beech wood stock, and if memory serves me right, I believe I stained the stock some walnut color and finished with a satin polyurethane...I think.

Anyway, my intent is to strip the stock down again and try to restore it back to as close to an original finish as possible. The final finish will be hand rubbed Linseed Oil. The question is, assuming the stripping process removes the walnut stain, what color should I re-stain the beech wood stock prior to final oil coating? I've looked at pictures and I see a variety of colored stocks. What would be most appropriate?

KneverKnew
United States of America

#8 Post by KneverKnew » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:45 pm

As can be seen in this picture of some of the markings on my Ljungman barrel, can someone verify I'm reading it correctly?

The stamping looks half missing. Am I correct in that it says, "4-M42B 6.5x55 SWEDEN" ? Also there are what looks like two (2) very light "crown" marks just below the line of text. If so, what do they represent? Thanks.

Return to “Ljungman Style Rifles”