Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Swedish Ljungman

Post Reply
Message
Author
Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 am
Age: 62
Location: Rocklin, CA
United States of America

Swedish Ljungman

#1 Post by Calfed » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Getting ready for the semi-monthly vintage military rifle silhouette match coming up. Chickens (220 yards), pigs (330 yards), turkeys (420 yards) and rams (550 yards). My son and I usually shoot this match with our Ljungmans and hold our own against the Garands.

Image
Image

Esu_1985
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:29 pm
Age: 32
Location: WV, USA
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#2 Post by Esu_1985 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:34 pm

These are very sweet rifles, and I'm glad I bought mine when I did. Thought I overpaid, but looking at the prices these days.... :shock: ....goodness. Amazing how much the price of all milsurps have exploded even in just the past few years. Get'em while they're cheap folks. Expensive today is the good deal of tomorrow.

Image

I took a whitetail with mine last year. Love hunting with all of my milsurps. Generally hunt antlerless, but I did take a nice 7 point with my T99 Arisaka a few years ago.

Let us know how you do!

User avatar
samsplacci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:12 pm
Age: 46
Location: Toronto, Canada
Canada

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#3 Post by samsplacci » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:46 am

I've never fired the Swede Guillotine, but I know these are fantastic shooters. Stoner copied the gas system with his iconic AR design.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 am
Age: 62
Location: Rocklin, CA
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#4 Post by Calfed » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Esu_1985 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:34 pm
These are very sweet rifles, and I'm glad I bought mine when I did. Thought I overpaid, but looking at the prices these days.... :shock: ....goodness. Amazing how much the price of all milsurps have exploded even in just the past few years. Get'em while they're cheap folks. Expensive today is the good deal of tomorrow.

Image

I took a whitetail with mine last year. Love hunting with all of my milsurps. Generally hunt antlerless, but I did take a nice 7 point with my T99 Arisaka a few years ago.

Let us know how you do!

Nice Ljungman, Esu!

I can't believe how much these have gone up in price. I got my first one through a member of the old forum and was thrilled. A few years later I was traveling in New Mexico (with my C&R FFL in hand) and got the other from a "friend of a friend".

Here is a pic of the range that we shoot the silhouette match on.

Image

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 am
Age: 62
Location: Rocklin, CA
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#5 Post by Calfed » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm

I took the Ljungmans out to the range just to make sure that they were still working and to double check my reloads...as usual, decent group with a flyer.



100 yards

Image

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 am
Age: 62
Location: Rocklin, CA
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#6 Post by Calfed » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:44 pm

At the match, my son had issues with his Ljungman, mine functioned flawlessly. Got 1st in class, second overall with a 25/40. Match winner was 30/40 with a Garand.

User avatar
Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:10 am
Age: 66
Location: New Mexico
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:56 pm

They are great rifles. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot.
I had a chance years ago to really P.O some "blasters" firing their AR's and AK's as fast as they could at targets set to two hundred yards. And hitting the targets a couple of times out of tens of shots fired. They were making noise and flinging hot brass all over the firing line. You know the type .
I had a large capacity magazine made for the Jlungman. I let loose with 40 rounds and nailed the target gong with every shot as fast as I could pull the trigger from the bench. I made sure to fill their tables with Hot Jlungman brass, and you know how hot that can be!
The looks on their faces as if safed the rifle and layed it down to cool made it all worth while. They packed up and left never making eye contact.
Image
I like these rifles. Of the semi-autos shooting long range they will hold their own with the best of them.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

User avatar
dmg4
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:48 am
Age: 63
Location: Geneva, NY
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#8 Post by dmg4 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:00 am

I bought mine back when they were "overpriced" at $600. HAH! Love the way it shoots and the fishscale grain of the beech stock. I picked up a spare barrel (NOS) and all the moving parts from Springfield Sporters in anticipation of wearing this wearing out before I do.
IMG_2532 copy.jpg
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 am
Age: 62
Location: Rocklin, CA
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#9 Post by Calfed » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:57 am

Rapidrob wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:56 pm
They are great rifles. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot.
I had a chance years ago to really P.O some "blasters" firing their AR's and AK's as fast as they could at targets set to two hundred yards. And hitting the targets a couple of times out of tens of shots fired. They were making noise and flinging hot brass all over the firing line. You know the type .
I had a large capacity magazine made for the Jlungman. I let loose with 40 rounds and nailed the target gong with every shot as fast as I could pull the trigger from the bench. I made sure to fill their tables with Hot Jlungman brass, and you know how hot that can be!
The looks on their faces as if safed the rifle and layed it down to cool made it all worth while. They packed up and left never making eye contact.
Image
I like these rifles. Of the semi-autos shooting long range they will hold their own with the best of them.
That is funny, Rob. And so true. The Ljungman is an amazing rifle and comes from the time when rifles--even military rifles--were works of art. Wish those 40 rd mags were legal in Cali.

My son had some issues with his at the match. He usually outshoots me by 5 hits or so, but he had problems with the accuracy and functioning of his rifle this time. I'm wondering if the gas system is gummed up or something. He had several failures to eject and a couple of short cycles.

Not sure if that would effect accuracy or not, but his score was definitely below normal for him.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 am
Age: 62
Location: Rocklin, CA
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#10 Post by Calfed » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:13 am

dmg4 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:00 am
I bought mine back when they were "overpriced" at $600. HAH! Love the way it shoots and the fishscale grain of the beech stock. I picked up a spare barrel (NOS) and all the moving parts from Springfield Sporters in anticipation of wearing this wearing out before I do.

IMG_2532 copy.jpg
I stocked up with some spares myself at SS. I've got two of the Ljungmans, so I had to double up on a few things. I used to have a C&R and got one through an old buddy on this forum. The other I glommed from a guy that I ran into at a gunstore (Peterson's in Abuquerque) on a visit years ago. I met with Rapidrob and some other buds while my wife took a jewelry repair class at Rio Grande Jewelry Supply in ALB. Rob took me to Peterson's. Later I went back and got started talking to a guy about C&R's. He mentioned that he had bought a bunch C&R rifles at a garage/estate sale. He had gotten TWO Ljungmans and wanted to sell one of them. I bought a K31 and one of the Ljungmans from him. He wouldn't tell me what he paid for them, but based on what he sold them to me for, along with some ammo, he must have gotten a killer deal on them.

KneverKnew
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:26 pm
Age: 50
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#11 Post by KneverKnew » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Calfed wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm
I took the Ljungmans out to the range just to make sure that they were still working and to double check my reloads...as usual, decent group with a flyer.



100 yards

Image
Nice group. Just curiouse though, did you have to change out the front sight? I assume you were holding at 6 o'clock on the black? My C96/38 carbine hits about 8" high at 100 yards with original front sight and rear sight set to lowest setting, 250 Meters.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 am
Age: 62
Location: Rocklin, CA
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#12 Post by Calfed » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:16 am

KneverKnew wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Nice group. Just curiouse though, did you have to change out the front sight? I assume you were holding at 6 o'clock on the black? My C96/38 carbine hits about 8" high at 100 yards with original front sight and rear sight set to lowest setting, 250 Meters.
Thanks, KK.

The front sight is a "+.5" and I was shooting a 6 o'clock "pumpkin on a post" sight picture. I'm planning on swapping the front sight for a "+1"

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 am
Age: 62
Location: Rocklin, CA
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#13 Post by Calfed » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:21 am

MY son and I shot in the Vintage semi auto military rifle silhouette match at Sacramento Valley shooting center last weekend. He had some problems with his rifle and did not do as well as he usually does (usually 28-30/40). I took second in class (as issued)

KneverKnew
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:26 pm
Age: 50
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#14 Post by KneverKnew » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:04 am

Calfed wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:16 am
KneverKnew wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Nice group. Just curiouse though, did you have to change out the front sight? I assume you were holding at 6 o'clock on the black? My C96/38 carbine hits about 8" high at 100 yards with original front sight and rear sight set to lowest setting, 250 Meters.
Thanks, KK.

The front sight is a "+.5" and I was shooting a 6 o'clock "pumpkin on a post" sight picture. I'm planning on swapping the front sight for a "+1"
I think our rifles are set up very similar, although your wood hasn't been molested as mine has. I have my "old" Ag42b that I recently reacquired after selling it over 25 years ago. The barrel was perfect back then, but now there is obvious small pitting in the grooves, otherwise the bore is crisp and shiny. I will be shooting it soon to see if the barrel is usable. I'm hoping it will group as yours in the picture. I have the same +0.5 front sight. My rear sight is set for the round nose bullets. Assuming you rear sight is configured the same, I would be very interested what results you get with the +1 front sight. Are you trying to bring POI down to exact POA at 100 yards? Also, I don't see mention in your post of what ammo you were using. Swedish Surplus M41's or your own handloads? Please share your recipe if so. I'm interested in what ammo people find to work safely. Don't want any Kabooms.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 am
Age: 62
Location: Rocklin, CA
United States of America

Re: Swedish Ljungman

#15 Post by Calfed » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:28 pm

I would like a POA/POI convergence, if possible. I'll post some addition range reports after I get the new sights.

I'm using a handload...140 gr Nosler CC with 36 grains of IMR 4064, CCI 200 primers, PPU Brass. COL 3.025"

Post Reply

Return to “Ljungman Style Rifles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest