Ljungman adjustable gas system, another option

KneverKnew
United States of America

Ljungman adjustable gas system, another option

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Best I can figure, there are only a couple options going around to create an adjustable gas system for the Ljungman. None seem to be conducive to not messing up our original rifle parts. Here's what I've come up with so far.
1. Change out original gas bock and drill and tap for adjustable set screw. I've ordered an extra gas block from Springfield Sporters with the intent of doing just that. But, apparently removing the original block would screw up my barrel since they are tightly pressed onto the barrel. So unless someone has pointers on how to do this without damaging the rifle, it's not an option.
2. Drill and tap the existing gas block to a more common screw size for gas adjustment. This would obviously cause permanent harm to the original gas block, so not an option either.
3. Replace existing clean out screw (4mm x .5) with longer beveled set screw to adjust gas fow. This is most desirable option, but locating correct thread screws seems daunting. Anyone have a source for these, please speak up.

Now, one other option just came to mind.

4. Replacing the gas tube sleeve that protrudes from the receiver face and directs the gas tube into the bolt carrier gas cup, drilling out to larger inside diameter and threading the replacement sleeve for a threaded vented gas plug with a smaller diameter orifice to restrict gas flow. This would be the same idea as the "shooters kit" that was created to solve the same over gassing problems found in the German G43 8mm semi-auto (Hitlers Garand.)
This is what the threaded gas plug looks like in the end of the G43 Gas piston.

This is the gas sleeve that would be replaced and threaded to accept the new gas plug. Different sized orifices could be tried until one is found that cycles the Ljungman gently but reliably with the specific ammo you select. A set of different sized orifices could be kept on hand for use with a variety of ammo.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Ljungman adjustable gas system, another option

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Along with the lost info on SRF, I did an article on how to make an adjustable gas "valve" using a stainless steel set screw.
I'll try to find a copy of the article I did years ago.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

KneverKnew
United States of America

#3 Post by KneverKnew » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 pm

I appreciate the offer to repost the article. I don't think there's any confusion on how to perform the installation of a set screw in the gas block. What I'm trying to figure out how to do is to end up with a adjustable gas system without modifying any original parts Since removing the gas block and installing a replacement to drill and tap will most likely damaged the barrel and drilling and tapping the original gas block is out of the question I'm trying to locate one of the elusive Swedish threaded set screws that will fit in the original gas block And allow us to adjust the gas system without any further modification

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:41 am

There was no drilling or tapping. You removed one screw and replaced it with a metric set screw. rifle is not harmed.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

KneverKnew
United States of America

#5 Post by KneverKnew » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:42 am

I believe I did read that post. That is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. Finding the correct screw and lock nut is the problem. Mind sharing what screw you used and its total length? Did you use a lock nut?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:03 pm

It is a metric screw and there is a lock nut. It's been so many years since I did it I will have to measure the parts and get back to you.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

KneverKnew
United States of America

#7 Post by KneverKnew » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:03 pm
It is a metric screw and there is a lock nut. It's been so many years since I did it I will have to measure the parts and get back to you.
That would be a big help, thanks! I'm getting cross eyed searching the net for those oddball screws. I shot mine today for the first time since I sold it over 25 years ago. I posted pictures in another post here. I was very pleased. Now that I've seen how well it can shoot with the Swedish Surplus stuff, I can only imagine it will do even better with my hand loads, but I really don't want to cause excessive wear to it or the brass. Fine tuning the gas system seems to be the way to go.
Please share your findings as soon as possible. Thanks again.

Return to “Ljungman Style Rifles”