http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My "new" ugly Spaniard.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Ordered a cosmoline slathered 1916. Import mark under the barrel says it was imported by samco, so I guess they've since divvied up the hoard.

Boy is she an ugly one. The stock needs a whole lot of work. I haven't seem too many cracks, maybe one major one running along the barrel channel nar the bayonet lug, but i haven't cleaned anything off yet to expose more.

I honestly don't know anything about the Spanish arms. I figure it was a gap that needed to be filled in the Mauser wall. :tounge:

Lange Vizier sight was a plus. Always wanted to meddle with them.

Right nasty pitting on the barrel. With no inletting to take the handguard off without taking the sight apart I kinda expected it. I'll have to experiment with some metal pastes to atleast look decent. Bolt was unfortunately a missmatch, but its so shallow I can't help but think these two have been together for some time.

Attachments:
nivebutt.jpg
nivebutt.jpg [ 566.24 KiB | Viewed 1732 times ]
Therustisreal.jpg
Therustisreal.jpg [ 291.89 KiB | Viewed 1732 times ]
rollercoaster.jpg
rollercoaster.jpg [ 683.4 KiB | Viewed 1732 times ]
Oviedo.jpg
Oviedo.jpg [ 452.57 KiB | Viewed 1732 times ]
ditygirl.jpg
ditygirl.jpg [ 390.13 KiB | Viewed 1732 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Love these "projects"

Like opening presents on your birthday, don't know what you have until you remove the layers. :thumb:

Good luck with your find

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:18 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Did all the woodwork and cleaning today. Turns out theres no cracks at all. The one in the barrel channel was just some minor split goign into the cleaning rod channel, nothing that would need mended. I was expecting to have some major wood rot from being drenched in oil, but it all stripped and dried surprisingly well. Turns out its naturally dark wood. I'm terrible at wood identification, but it almost looked like Elm. Could be Beech, but it would be the darkest beech i've ever seen.

Shes certainly not a looker. Won't be winning the Mrs. Spain title by a longshot. Not everyone can have beautiful flaming i guess.
Though that brings up a point. There was an a high amount of char on the stock. Around the chamber in particular and one section near the midline. I didn't bother scrapping out out, I wouldn't have a stock left if i did. :lol: The handguard is nearly all blackened with a large burnt out section near the right above where the chamber would be. There wasn't any noticible char anywhere behind the barrel, just along the channel. Must of been a hard life for the poor thing.

Stripped the crud. Steamed out what dents would come out. Re-oiled.

Attachment:
Stripped.jpg
Stripped.jpg [ 493.92 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]

Attachment:
Steamed.jpg
Steamed.jpg [ 426.93 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]

Attachment:
Oiledmk2.jpg
Oiledmk2.jpg [ 461.1 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]

Surprisingly the stock marking popped out with the steaming. Its still fairly hard to read but i think it says (Spanish Crown) Oviedo 1822. Possibly 1922 if its a date code. The last two digits on the receiver date are clearly 22 so I imagine the stock is original, or atleast made in the same year, Assuming the stock cartouche is indeed a date code.

Attachment:
Nakedbutt.jpg
Nakedbutt.jpg [ 807.51 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]

Attachment:
Cart.jpg
Cart.jpg [ 447.44 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]

Metalwork will be up next weather permitting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:24 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Just another finished picture. Lighting is terrible. I'll have to work on improving it.

Attachments:
Oiled.jpg
Oiled.jpg [ 312.18 KiB | Viewed 1594 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:04 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=62728

For the metal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

AGB-1 wrote:
http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=62728

For the metal.

Thats the plan! Already got a set of tanks ready. The snow is just really high and brutal up here :violin:

Not sure if i feel comfy doing it inside. Might do it on the back porch with a hater running.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Did a little metal work today despite the blizzard. :thumb:

Odd thing happened though. I've done this a few times with great success, but this time the bluing nearly came off completely with it. Arguably the receiver is completely stripped. It certainly got the rust out of everything, including the pits (Minus the section my bucket couldn't reach, and the muzzle end which i stopped early)

You can see the transition zone on one of the pictures, I can't find any references to what went wrong.

No sense in stopping with the damage already done, but I'll have to do it later. I have a longer tank but my electrodes were too large to fit with the complete action.

Attachments:
File comment: Left side is the de-rusted side. Right is the side I couldn't reach with the bucket.
Split.jpg
Split.jpg [ 411.88 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]
Side Profile.jpg
Side Profile.jpg [ 451.07 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]
Silver.jpg
Silver.jpg [ 398.38 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:48 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

So some updates. It appears these were slow rust blued and thats why the bluing was stripped during electrolysis. Seems the Spanish weren't using hot bluing in 1922, or later if it was ever re-arsenaled.

I can't find any references to any processes the Spanish would of used to finish the metal. I guess I'll just use some "German Bluing" http://www.rustblue.com/shop/bluing/rust-blue-german/ unless someone knows of a more correct finish.

Is there an in depth reference book to Spanish mausers akin to what nearly every ww1-2 rifle has?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:37 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Last update. I don't think the spanish section is very popular anyway :lol:

Reassembled everything. Greased, oiled, and wiped down nicely.

I need a new firing pin as i can't weld stainless. Tip doesn't make it past the bolt face anymore. So no range trip for a bit.

Bolt gave me some issues as well. Typical mauser safety not engaging as the cocking piece was sliding a little too far forward for the notch to line up. Seems Spain had the same issue, the safety was already beveled. It wore a nice little groove into the back of the cocking peace making the matter worse. Hopefully polishing the edges and surfaces will slow its death sentence, It atleast works now with a little force.

Found out the entire rear sight assembly was serial marked. It actually matched the rifle! They even serialized the magazine floorplate catch. Odd choices to serial when you don't bother with some of the more essential parts.

Gathering equipment, and courage, to re rust blue the rifle. I feel terrible for stripping it off. Had no idea the slow rust blues were susceptible to electrolysis.
Noticed some gorgeous blue hues on some small parts. Not bluing. Looks like a color case hardening. The trigger in particular it still a brilliant blue hue, the barrel band springs show slight hints of it still.

Threw a random turkish bayonet on it. I was kinda surprised it fit. Bit of a rattle on the muzzle, but it should suffice until i can find a proper spanish one.

Attachments:
Spanmau.jpg
Spanmau.jpg [ 665.21 KiB | Viewed 337 times ]
Spanmau2.jpg
Spanmau2.jpg [ 502.42 KiB | Viewed 337 times ]
Spantop.jpg
Spantop.jpg [ 460.72 KiB | Viewed 337 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:48 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Atamis,
I appreciate your post. I just bought one of these Samco orphans for Christmas at a gunshow here in SC and it will be my first go around with cleaning up something this "ugly". So it's been very helpful to see your progress. Being my first, I'm moving much slower. Some pictures of "raw" rifle below for comparison.

I do have a broken follower spring that needs replaced. I assume the 1893 model follower spring I see on Springfield Sporters site is interchangeable? Other than that, looks like someone dripped some paint while they were painting the breakroom at Samco (80's avocado green?), but there is some red and green on the barrel that looks like intentional addition. Any idea if it has historical significance? Wouldn't want to strip it off if it means something cool.

Otherwise, thanks again for sharing, it's been a big help.

Attachments:
Barrel Paint.jpg
Barrel Paint.jpg [ 49.88 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]
Stock Paint.jpg
Stock Paint.jpg [ 77.88 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]
Stock Grain.jpg
Stock Grain.jpg [ 87.8 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]
Rust Under Handguard.jpg
Rust Under Handguard.jpg [ 81.94 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:13 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Holy Shssssmokes
That is pretty rusty!!!
I'm thinking Bondo and Paint would be Better!!!!!!
Laugh all ya want...I have done it!!!!! Looks OK from accross the Room...

At least the wood looks pretty good from what you show!!!
One Day...Someone is Going to "give up" on one of those, and I will Buy some Wood, for Mine!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

miningeng wrote:
snipped .

I don't think the paint would mean anything. The muzzle end looks intentional but they didn't have latex paint back then, the drip on the butt looks recent (well past 20 years).

Wood looks rather nice when it gets cleaned!

The rust does look particularly bad, few ways to take it off atleast, though if yoi use electrolysis it may take the bluing off these particular ones.

Any 93 series of spring should work fine. Id imagine a 98 spring would fit also, even an arisaka spring :lol:

If you need any assistance during your project feel free to ask! Theres a great wood repair section on this forum, and the metal work is all too easy!