Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

VZ58 rifle at 500 yards

VZOR 52, 52/57 & 58
Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

VZ58 rifle at 500 yards

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:19 pm

I built a VZ58 from a new de-milled kit about ten years ago,way before the rifle was popular. Ohio Ordnance made the milled receiver. I had to weld up the sear to prevent full auto parts from ever being used. The rifle had accuracy problems due to a out of time front sight. This was fixed by a club member and I had a chance to shoot the rifle today. First at 200 yards where the rifle was shooting close to 2 MOA and at 500 yards.
The weather was hot with a very strong mirage and winds fishtailing at 10 MPH.
Holding off to comp for the winds I was able to get several hits in a row using Kentucky windage and Silver Bear FMJ's. My rifle has the muzzle break to control recoil.
The VZ58 is an accurate rifle with good ammo.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

Re: VZ58 rifle at 500 yards

#2 Post by FamilyFirearms » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:47 am

As a collector of AKs, for some stupid reason I wanted to hate these guns until I shot one. A member of the forum (chaser1) built one from the same receiver and parts kit. I was shocked how smooth it shot and a reduction of felt recoil versus a standard AK. I picked up a few of the ones on the market at the time ( I think second generation?) after they worked out a few bugs. Then the insanity hit and with what was preposed for legislation, we auctioned them and several other AKs off. Luckily, I was at an auction and picked up a new in box CZECHPOINT VZ58. It doesent have a bayonet lug but has the folding stock I am not fond of but have an extra wood stock for it ( handguards are wood). I have yet to shoot it but will when I get time.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:49 pm

The CZ'point rifles are outstanding! Well made and their trigger design solves all the problems of the originals being converted to semi-auto and having the bolt carrier "riding over the sear" causing a FTF.
A club member has been able to hit our 800 yard target several times AND he hit it off-hand as well! Really,no kidding. Many witnessed it. With American made barrels and quality ammo,on a calm day these rifles shoot long distance very well. At our high altitude the bullet stays supersonic for a much greater distance.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

dogboysdad
United States of America

#4 Post by dogboysdad » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:13 am

I still have a $19 parts kits and an Ohio Ordnance (ORF?) receiver sitting around here someplace. How difficult is the build?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:02 am

8 on a 10 scale. Converting the full auto parts to semi is not for the meek. It is better to "bite the bullet" and buy the over-inflated new semi-auto parts.
The original barrel is well made but illegal to mount as it is too short. You must buy the muzzle break and weld & pin it to the muzzle or buy an American made longer barrel.
Timing the barrel requires you have a way to verify the alignment of the front sight.I use a laser. If your front sight has red paint on it and it is off center to the left,your rifle will be way off target when you test fire it due to the mating surfaces of the receiver.( they demilled rifles that were not up to spec 100%) The VZ58 is still used today by other countries and is well liked. The perfect rifles go to them.
The front sight will have to be re-zeroed and pin holes re-drilled.
It took me about 15 hours to build my rifle right.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Czech Rifles”