http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New M95
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:59 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Hey everyone. I know these kinds of posts all start the same so I'll try and change it up a bit. I received this M95 as a gift along with a few boxes of ammo from a friend and I since it's my first straight pull rifle I'm learning all I can about it. From what I could gather it was accepted in 1918 and even though it was upgraded with the big S on the receiver there is no new WN marking besides the original acceptance marking. Also I found a couple of Austrian eagles on the side of the receiver but I do know that this one went through Bulgaria at some point in its life. Its model designation also confuses me a bit. It has a larger front sight blade than some of the others I've seen and it only has sling swivels on the side of the stock. Every number I can find on it matches, including the stock which has never been renumbered as far as I can tell. Any thoughts about this little gun?

Attachments:
image342.jpg
image342.jpg [ 41.07 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]
image341.jpg
image341.jpg [ 47.72 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]
image340.jpg
image340.jpg [ 36.07 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]
image339.jpg
image339.jpg [ 37.11 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]
image338.jpg
image338.jpg [ 50.48 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]

Post subject: Re: New M95
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Here's the ammo I received with it. It's all 1938 dated and on each of the boxes it has what looks like a German waffenampt on them.

Attachments:
image348.jpg
image348.jpg [ 66.45 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:51 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

I own an M95 "Stutzen" carbine like yours and two M95 long rifles. Here's what I can tell you:

* The milsurp market was flooded with them 8-10 or so years ago and they were going for sub-$100 prices back then.
* Bring a chiropractor with you when you shoot it because they've got a nasty recoil with full-power loads.
* The 1930's ammo has always gone "boom" for me but be advised that it has corrosive primers so remember to clean with a water-based solvent shortly after shooting it. In 1938 Austria was amalgamated into the German-Austrian Anschluss so those are indeed Waffenamts on the brass.
* Before completely removing the bolt, retract it until it stops and then wedge a dime in between the bolt body and rear assembly. That will prevent the bolt from collapsing once it's fully removed from the receiver. If you don't do this then it can be a real PITA to get the bolt back in.
* Always load using the clips, even single rounds. Failure to use a clip puts stress on the extractor and replacement extractors are made of unobtanium.
* They're decent candidates to reload for. New commercial brass is available and Lee makes a .329 bullet mold. I use around 11 grains of Unique behind the Lee cast bullet and it makes for an accurate (to 100 yards, I haven't tried further than that), low recoil load.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:32 pm 

The Nazi ammo is the best of the surplus and it shoots very well. I've shot it at 800 yards and had no trouble hitting a man sized target using the ammo and my Rifle and the short rifle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

C&Rsenal has a great video on these carbines.

https://youtu.be/M820hu5rg6o

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:16 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Wow I learned a lot about this little carbine. Thanks everyone! The bolt's a bit tough to operate but that's probably because I'm not used to straight pulls yet. I'll get the hang of using one eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:22 am 
Match Winner
Match Winner

burban89 wrote:
Wow I learned a lot about this little carbine. Thanks everyone! The bolt's a bit tough to operate but that's probably because I'm not used to straight pulls yet. I'll get the hang of using one eventually.

Might have some cosmoline in it. Disassemble it, clean it and then grease it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:25 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

If the lug on the tail end of the extractor is worn, it will make bolt operation a little 'sticky'. The lug on the extractor holds the bolt head in its withdrawn position.

USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:50 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Clean it up and inspect the bolt parts and spring. Most of these dogs have weak springs so a replacement is good if you have a weak "click" Grease the #$%@@# and see how it works. see this old post:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=141386&p=1050989&hilit=worn+extractor+tail#p1050989
and this one http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... nt-problem
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=132014&hilit=+m95+mannlicher

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=138705&hilit=worn+extractor+tail

adjusting the extractor see
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=57371&p=854238&hilit=adjusting+the+extractor+m95#p854238

Firing pin protrusion see
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=146153&hilit=+m95+budapest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:31 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Folks,

Do you know of a source for new Steyr 95 firing pin springs? I bought one years ago from a vendor here that also made replacement Mosin springs. This made a difference with my Steyr rifle. Wolff does not seem to carry them.

Thank You,

C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

https://mg34.com/product/m-95-firing-pin-spring/

Here you go! It isn't new, but may work fine.

USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:29 pm 

The original caliber rifles were hand fitted and the action is very smooth to operate. Your short rifle is of the later "S" bore and these rifles were converted and assembled using parts that were not hand fitted. Because of this,the action is much harder to cock and cycle. There really is nothing that can be done today to make the action as smooth as the original rifles were. The gauges,parts and expertise don't exist anymore.
As stated above, replacing the springs may help a little and will make the rifle safer to shoot.
I had a rifle that would fire as soon as the bolt was closed on a live round. I had to replace the springs and several parts to bring it back to safe specifications.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

This thread makes me want to shoot one of mine again. :D It has been awhile. I've got 250 rounds of
that surplus ammo on clips. As I recall, that stuff will punish you. :lol: These rifles were made when
men were men and women were glad of it. :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Does anyone know what happen to Clyde? I take it he is no longer making Mauser or mannlicher springs?????

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=131947&hilit=m95+spring

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I worked on one several years ago. The bolt was stiff until I disassembled it and greased the parts. It worked a lot better after; but reassembling it was quite a trial . . . :oops: