http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My M95
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:55 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Just recently posted these on another board, but thought some here might be interested.

A recent acquisition. No import mark, no signs of scrubbing. Seems this would make it a pre-1968 import.

Most of the acceptance mark has been stamped over with the "S" 8x56R designation stamp. looks to have the remnants of WN 27, but I can't see enough to be sure. Remnants of some kind of arsenal marks on the right side of the barrel.

You can see in the last photo I had to put the stock back together- it came to me in 2 pieces.

Post subject: Re: My M95
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:25 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nice looking rifle. I see that you already have some ammo and several clips so you're all set. :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Wn-27 doesn't sound right. I have seen many Wn-17, and a few Wn-37. I believe the last 8x50 barrels are marked Wn-20, and the first 8x56 barrels marked Wn-31 or 32.

Hope your stock repair holds. Nice looking rifle.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Very nice! I recently acquired one in 8x50R. Enjoy!

USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:18 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Ahh you do have the old good ammo!!

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

junkbug wrote:
Wn-27 doesn't sound right. I have seen many Wn-17, and a few Wn-37. I believe the last 8x50 barrels are marked Wn-20, and the first 8x56 barrels marked Wn-31 or 32.

Hope your stock repair holds. Nice looking rifle.

Enjoy.

I'll have to find a way to get some magnification on it.

I'm thinking the repair will hold- I was lucky in that it wasn't a clean/straight break, but rather at a shallow angle. This left a heap of surface area to bond to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:55 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Looks like the lighter color stocked Sog M95s. At least yours is 8x56R. Mine is 8x50R and I picked it up for the stock then after a close look it is an intact WW I bring back. But I paid $150 :o :shhh: #-o 8x50R is not easy to find and the bore is mint. The only better thing would have been an original M95 sling still on the rifle. Notice the stock patina and you can see yours is an arsenal refinish like most of SOG's rebuilt Carbine M95s. Yours is worthy of finding a nice stock for. Great that it has no import mark. Now to search for an intact stock with original patina. I found one, but the WW I rifle was so nice I had to keep the old war horse intact. I am still looking for one to replace my Mosin like stock on the arsenal redone M95 in the lower photos. Those nice old stocks with patina are hard to find. Also you have nice patina to your metal not the arsenal reblue found on my example in the lowest most link. I got took when SOG sent me that dog. Shoots fine, but looks bad. Like a new Mosin :lol: :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=146870

This old link has photos of an SOG rebuildM95 carbine they sent me from a few years back with the Russian like blue and light colored stock (top carbine in photo) and an original carbine at the bottom with nice patina to the non redone stock. Both are 8x56R.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=91624&hilit=+reddish+stock+m95+carbine

If you used Devcon 2 ton epoxy ( https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-31345-Ton ... +min+epoxy ) or Brownells arco glass the repair should hold. You can search Candyman's stock repair stickys in the stock section. Newer use Gorilla glue or Elmers :lol: :lol: :doh:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:00 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

72 usmc wrote:
Looks like the lighter color stocked Sog M95s. At least yours is 8x56R. Mine is 8x50R and I picked it up for the stock then after a close look it is an intact WW I bring back. But I paid $150 :o :shhh: #-o 8x50R is not easy to find and the bore is mint. The only better thing would have been an original M95 sling still on the rifle. Notice the stock patina and you can see yours is an arsenal refinish like most of SOG's rebuilt Carbine M95s. Yours is worthy of finding a nice stock for. Great that it has no import mark. Now to search for an intact stock with original patina. I found one, but the WW I rifle was so nice I had to keep the old war horse intact. I am still looking for one to replace my Mosin like stock on the arsenal redone M95 in the lower photos. Those nice old stocks with patina are hard to find. Also you have nice patina to your metal not the arsenal reblue found on my example in the lowest most link. I got took when SOG sent me that dog. Shoots fine, but looks bad. Like a new Mosin :lol: :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=146870

This old link has photos of an SOG rebuildM95 carbine they sent me from a few years back with the Russian like blue and light colored stock (top carbine in photo) and an original carbine at the bottom with nice patina to the non redone stock. Both are 8x56R.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=91624&hilit=+reddish+stock+m95+carbine

If you used Devcon 2 ton epoxy ( https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-31345-Ton ... +min+epoxy ) or Brownells arco glass the repair should hold. You can search Candyman's stock repair stickys in the stock section. Newer use Gorilla glue or Elmers :lol: :lol: :doh:

I got this one with a 2nd stock, 25 rounds of 5 strippers, a maybe original sling, a plastic hard case, a cleaning rod, and 25 rounds of 8mm Mauser on stripper clips in trade for a Jimenez 9mm that I had $140 into. Had no desire to shoot or really even own the Jimenez, so I think I came out ahead on this one.

Here's a couple shots of the rifle wearing the other stock. The other stock is a bit more interesting. It has 4 different serials, and a Hungarian style large recess butt plate with a strange triangle 11 stamped into it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:26 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Very Nice rifle

I have one in 8x56r myself, they are fun to shoot and accurate as well

Its a shame you pay good money for things and turns up damaged.

No care, no responsibility from freight/shipping companies these days.
There is no come back. If the cost came out of their own pockets.........

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Picked up some more ammo at the gun show today.

Cleaned up the damaged barrel crown

This is the mark stamped into the right side of the receiver. Any ideas what this is/what this used to be?